Mondial QV tires | FerrariChat

Mondial QV tires

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Angel Bello, Esq., Sep 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Angel Bello, Esq.

Dec 10, 2003
    That dreaded time comes again. I need a new set of tires for my Mondial QV. My car is rather original, with the metric-size factory wheels and Michelin TRX's. Suggestions on where to buy, prices, etc. Or does anyone know of an alternative for a new set of wheels with nonmetric tires? Pictures?

2. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Coker tire sells the TRX tires... pretty pricey tho. Not sure if the offset is the same for a 308 vs a Mondial but Superformance in England sells reproduction 16 inch QV rims for a pretty reasonable price.

3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    The TRX tires, especially if you get the Michelins if you can even find them, are outrageously expensive. You should check out the replacement wheels being offered by Superformance for the Mondial. I had an '84 QV Euro and rather than deal with the metric wheels, I picked up a set of Gotti wheels and 16" street tires. If you get the Superformance wheels in 16", they look great on the car (they look just like the original Ferrari wheels) and you have a wide selection of tires you can get that will improve the car's handling and ride. I found the TRX Michelins to ride like truck tires compared to a good set of high performance street tires on the 16" wheels. Plus, the whole setup, wheels and tires, will still cost you less than buying a new set of Michelin TRXs. That's my humble opinion, YMMV.

4. Fractiousgit

Fractiousgit Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Ade
    Dunlop SP2000 390`s, available in the UK for £135 each.

5. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    If you decide to go with the TRX's just contact me, I'm with Coker. I'll get you the FChat discount.

Jerry

6. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    Do a search in this section. There has been a significant amount of material written on this subject. I recently replace the wheels and tires on my Mondi for less than a set of TRX's. I went with the Superformance 16" wheels and Avon tires. Here is info I've posted in other threads.

Original tire = 240/55 - 390

240 = width
    55 = aspect ratio
    390mm = wheel diameter (15.35")

Width X aspect ratio = section height, so 240X.55=132

Overall diameter = wheel diameter + (section height X 2)

So, the original tire/wheel overall diameter = 132X2+390 = 654mm = 25.75"

Therefore 16" tires that will closley approximate the overall tire/wheel diameter are:

245/50 - 16 which gives a tire height of 25.65"

225/55 - 16 which gives a tire height of 25.74"

205/60 - 16 which gives a tire height of 25.69"

I'm sticking with 16" tires since I purchased the Superformance wheels.

My first choice was to go with the 245/50, but the Superformance wheels are 7" wide and 7" is the lowest limit width. Many people have cautioned me against going this route.

My second choice is to go with the 225/55. I ordered Goodyear F1 GS-DS3s from TireRack but they just called me to say they are no longer in production in this size.

So, back to square one on tire selection. TireRack is pushing the Avon Tech M500s. They have plenty of them in stock. The reviews and price look good, although I'm not overly concerned about price. One of my top concerns is noise level, to keep the ride comfortable for longer distances. The Avon performance numbers look good as well for the road. I'm not planning on tracking or crossing.

PS - I've had the wheels and tires on the car for several months and about 1k miles. Happy with both. The tires are quiet and have a predictable breakaway in the corners. I've had many comments on the Superformance wheels. Fit and finish is about right for the price, not perfect but good.

7. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Get a set of Mondial T rims, you can pick them up pretty cheap and the tyres are readily available at sensible prices too