Its offical I am a 550 owner | FerrariChat

Its offical I am a 550 owner

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Hunters360, Oct 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hunters360

Hunters360 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    James Wardwell
    Its Official New 550 owner here....beautiful 2000 TDF Blue Cuio w/ blue piping. Tubi....All test are excellant.....Next question the dealer offered me a 1 year power warranty for $3500..what are your thoughts....by the way pics to come when I take delivery next wed.( slow down light comes on..some sort of resistor so they are fixing it along with some releathering from shrinkage) My only thoughts at this point is why are there so many out there with 3-5k on them this is a drivers car. drive it!!!!

2. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    Congrats on the buy.

3. Zegna

Zegna Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2006
    North America
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Fantastic. Congratulations on the purchase. TdF Blue on the 550 must be gorgeous.

Btw, let's keep it that way (people keeping them in 3-5K miles), until I have one myself. Hahaha.

But in all respect, I agree with you. These cars should be driven as much as possible. Especially GT models like the 550.

4. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    COngrats mate. My advice is take the warrenty. Things do go wrong with these cars!

5. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    Welcome to the 550 club and congrats. Read the fine print of the extended warrantee VERY carefully. If it covers things like the drivetrain, engine, electrical, etc., then go for it. But look at the excluded items. Many of these things are not worth the paper they're written on. Also check out the financial health of the company offering the warrantee- some are fly-by-night operations and go belly up. These things are very large profit items fro the dealer and you might do better looking on the market yourself for a policy.

Have fun!

6. Hunters360

Hunters360 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    James Wardwell
    This is a ferrari policy...offered at the Ferrari dealership It is directly through FNA (Ferrari North America)

7. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Take the warranty..if you don't do it now, the dealer will need to do another inspection ~800-900$. I have a 575 with extended warranty and have used it without problems. A 2000 car will be a power train plus which covers engine and trans. to me $3500 is cheap for the peace of mind, especially if you know how much an engine or tranny problem would cost. The power train plus warranty can be continued out to 2012 for your car.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Major congratulations! A 550 has got to be one of the best deals on the market today. Your license might suffer, but you'll dig it.

Dale

PS Get the extended warranty. I did.

9. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Congratulations on the 550!

The warranty will buy peace of mind and now is the time do it (after the dealer has done the major and the inspection), but the great news is that 550's don't typically see failures which demand the coverage. I too had irrational fears about cracked heads, transmission failures, etc leading to $25K bills.........but they simply don't occur with any frequency.

10. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo

1) congradulations-sounds like a beautiful car
    2) post pictures
    3) save the $3,500.00

11. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Congrats!:)

My guess is that if FNA is offering the warranty...then you don't need it. Spend the 3.5K on lots of premium fuel instead. That you'll need.;)

12. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Heck, I have 64,000 miles on my 550. I have had no problems with the power train. The throttle cable just broke and cost me $300 to fix. The track has not seen the Maranello but I do sometimes drive it about 75% to its limit.

My only problem right now is the right window does not like to go up. It requires a little help from me.

Congratulations on a wise choice of a car. Drive it with great pleasure.

:)

12 cylinders or walk

13. FERRARI NOS 1

FERRARI NOS 1 Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 3, 2006
    Congratulations seems to be a nice example also!

14. SamBoler

SamBoler Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    LA
    Congrats on the car

Did you get the car from Ferrari New England?

15. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    other than the cost of repairs, the 550s are really the exotic car value in the market right now. But all of the out of warranty exotics are expensive to keep running. Part of the fun (I keep telling myself). But think about all the depreciation you didn't have to suffer!!!!