Installed a carbon-carbon clutch in the 308 | FerrariChat

Installed a carbon-carbon clutch in the 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mk e, Dec 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I absolutely fried the kevlar racing clutch I had in my supercharged 308 a while back. I decided to try a tilton triple-disc carbon-carbon clutch and finally got a chance to put it in. Here’s a few pic of what was required for the install. They told me that the pedal would be reasonably soft, but it is actually freakishly soft. I think the gas pedal is harder to push than the new clutch, it will be much nicer in traffic an the old one that was so stiff that my wife could not push it more than about ½ way down.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    another

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Here's the flywheel. I stuck with the stock flywheel and cut a pochet in it to accept the new clutch. The other option was a custom light weight unit, but I though the stock one would work out better for the street. The clutch is smaller and much lighter already, so it's basically in between stock and full race.

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    with the clutch on

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The thoughout bearing required an adapter. I tack-welded it on just to be sure it stayed put.

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The travel of the stock clutch is much more than the new one needed, so I made a new lever to correct the ratio so the pedal keeps the stock travel, but the throwout bearing moves the right amount for the new clutch.

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I ended up having to add a little more clearance to the lever I made and lengthen the rod that couples it to the bellcrank. That's it. The only thing left is to find a softer spring for the pedal. Ferrari installed a spring up at the pedal that pulls the pedal down to keep it from bouncing and I guess to keep the throwout bearing touching the clutch. But with the revised ratio and lighter pressure plate, it pulls the pedal down almost 1/2 of the way..it's that soft now.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Great job!

I suppose since you claim the action is so light, it is because its the Ultra-High Ratio version (part#6573HG-S)? The old flywheel was configured to be a "Pot-Type"?

9. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    you know, you beat all, you know that? Nice work!

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Peter,
    It's a standard pressure plate, the part number is 6573HSORA-P12
    the ORA part is the spring they just in the pressure plate, which I think is the softest one they make. The twin disc would have worked fine for the power I have (about 450-500 ft-lb torque), but would have needed one of the heaviest springs. The guy at tilton though I would be happier with this set-up. It's rated to 820 ft-lb torque, but the spec shett they send says they tested it to 1250...I guess that means I need to add NOS of something so I don't feel like I'm wasting it :)

Yes, I set the flywheel up to take the pot type clutch (P12 in the part#), so I machined a pocket that is .100" deep by 8.376" dia. Then I drilled and tapped it for 5/16-18 bolts. Tilon sets up their custom flywheels for though bolts, but since mine is a little over twice as thick as they use, I just tapped it which make instaling the clutch much easier. I used the 5/16 bolt because that is what they spec'd, had I thought about for even a second, I would have gone to M8 so I don't need different wrenches...

Jeff,
    Thanks.....but I think if I do just one more think like this it's my wife who's going to beat me....and hard :)

Still loving the turbo....even if Allan thinks it's underpowered?

11. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Well done Mark!

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #12 enjoythemusic, Oct 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Is that a fuel filter or the fuel pump in the corner, what brand is it, Thanks Pete

14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It's an Aeromotive fuel pump...I forget the model, A1000 maybe. My engine uses a LOT of fuel and I've got the pressure pumped up pretty high, I think it hits 80 psi at full boost. I've got an aeromotive filter too, it's not in the photo.

15. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    And presumably that would fit a Uk Mondial Qv would it?, if you could find out the model number it would be great

16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I bought it from summit racing acouple years ago, but I can't find the reciept...I'm pretty sure the current model is A1000. I guess it would fit somehow, it is about $300 and takes AN fittings, not included. . I only bought it because I needed the extra flow, the stock pump is good to at least 360 hp, probable more like 400.

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Mark,
    Would you mind re-posting this & the other missing pictures. They're a great help to someone doing a similar project.

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #18 mk e, Oct 15, 2006
  19. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #19 mk e, Oct 15, 2006
    Clutch....I haven't cleaned anything yet, so carbon dust everywhere. If you need more details about anything, let me know.

To save money and get a strong clutch, a quartermaster or tilton clutch pack can be installed on a modified stock flywheel the same way I installed this, I'm pretty sure. I would go with organic linings for the street or the carbon I have works pretty well on the street too, but it sure was pricey, very strong, but pricey. Quartermaster has a has some arangement with tilton last I heard, so both brand carbon clutches use the same technology.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Looks good mark! Hopefully my kevlar clutch lasts a while. If it doesn't I may be going your rout.

Wil

21. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    mk_e, just installed the Nick Forza lightweight clutch and flywheel. It is a dual metallic plate setup for the clutch pack and you are right in that this may be a bit much for the street. Getting into first gear or reverse is a bit tricky due to the low inertia but do-able. As you know, after first gear all else is blindly good :)

Was amazed how fast she accelerates through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd last night! Four seems quite good and fifth is about the same as far as 'pull' goes. Can you share your driving impressions?

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Sure.

As far as how it works as a clutch, I like it. It will chatter if I’m not careful, particularly if it’s hot. Not bad, but not as smooth as stock either. The clutch pedal is very light and easy to work, think Honda civic. I guess about 6 or 8 people have driven the car, and none noticed anything odd or hard to work about the clutch. I can tell you the lighter pedal is much nicer than stock when I get stuck in traffic.

Performance wise, it handles the hp/touque I have easily. The trans shifts smooth and easy. It's much lighter weight than the stock clutch, but there was no noticable improment in acceleration, although I guess there must have beed an improvement....on most pavement it already will keep the tires spinning until the top of 3rd gear, so I'm traction limited until 4th gear, but I guess 4th must pull better...I didn't notice it though.