Ferrari 308/288 GTO Conversion | FerrariChat

Ferrari 308/288 GTO Conversion

Discussion in '308/328' started by tarzancoe, Oct 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tarzancoe

tarzancoe Karting

Oct 2, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    JM
    What do you guys (and girls) think about this conversion? I have been aware of it for a while. I wonder how hard has to be to keep this beast tuned up and what the realities of maintenance are.

2. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Personally with all the time and money I dont see it worth it.At the end of the day you still have a butchered 308 which is worth less.If you wanted your 308 faster then boost it as its bolt on bolt off.I know someone on board has done it and the results may look good but I know I wouldn't do it

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I would do a 288 conversion on a 308 that has body damage. It might be cheaper to get the 288 panels than original 308 panels. But any 288 conversion MUST have some kind of forced induction so it has the power to go with the looks!!

Birdman

4. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Do a search here on FChat, there are numerous threads on this subject. Right now, there 2-3 sources for this conversion, I know of two that have already converted bodies needing only the drivetrain.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  6. jac0331

jac0331 Rookie

Aug 11, 2007
    PA
    Full Name:
    John Correia
    Your comment is valid. I just purchased a motor/trans, thread 308 racing engine for a 1977 GTB I plan to convert. However, I was fortunate enough to purchase the car gutted, no engine/trans, most everything else minus windows all around, a few missing instrument gauges. Total cost was $7,000 with good title, I was lucky! However, to purchase even a very cheap needing work 308 your still looking at mid to high 20's by the time you convert it's expensive. I would put money into more go fast options and come out with a real nice 308.

Anyone having info/experience with 308/288 GTO conversion, I would like to here from you. Just starting to purchase parts I need so any hands on experience/information would be appreciated. Once I get started building the car I hope to start a commentary on it with progressive build-up photos. Thanks!

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
  8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I agree they look off, I'm not sure Id go as far as bad, but the stretched body looks better IMO and is why I did only the front valance and bumper on mine.