Porsche 912 | FerrariChat

Porsche 912

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by snj5, Oct 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #1 snj5, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm looking at the idea of another project car that I can use as an everyday driver that is somewhat more fuel efficient and totally diy with readily available parts. I've kind of settled on a 1976 Porsche 912E thinking while not fast (I've the Ferrari for that) it should be a lot of fun and even a bit practical as a commuter. It has the simpler lines of the earlier cars which I like and has a galvanized steel body.
    Anyone with any experience with these or know of any available?
    Many thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    This is kind of the 901 body style that "got no respect" - maybe the Mondial of the Porsche world?

The engine is a similar design to the VW transporter of its day.

I would think for the time and trouble of a car this age you could get into a 911 2.7L or a 3.0L for not that much more money. A 1975-1976 2.7 with the engine properly done is a pretty good ride for reasonable money, in spite of all the oil leak rumors.

I did have a friend who had one of these as a daily, and it was pretty reliable - but that was over 10 years ago. And yes, it did start to show some signs of rust, galvanized or not. We compared notes and he spent pretty much the same as I was (purchase & repairs) on my second 1975 911S.

James (10+ 911s and counting)

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think for more or less the same money, you could get into a comparable 911.

The only real advantage the 912 is going to have is fuel economy, and in the big scheme of things, how much difference will that make?

Suppose the 912 gets 24mpg (probably optimistic) and the 911 gets 16mpg. If you drive the car 10,000 miles per year, you're talking about using around 200 gallons more per year, or (at $3.00/gallon) around $600/year. For $600/year, the 911 is well worth it!

If you want fuel economy, get a VW diesel! Those can be fun as well (probably not much worse performance than the 912), much better economy, and more practical.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree, but to be fair I think the flat-six maintenance costs will be more than the 912's four. True?

I'd also go for an earlier car with the cleaner bumpers, Fuchs wheels, etc. I kind of like those brushed-metal Targas, but the coupe won't flex itself to death.

5. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    912s are neat cars... but the '76 912E is something of a red headed step child. You get the heavier body and bumpers and such of that era coupled to a lack of horsepower and very early and poor attempts at emissions controls. I would stay away.

If you want a 912, look for an early one. If you can find one, a 1969 is by far the best year. In '69 Porsche lengthened the wheelbase in order to help the handling on the 911 and the 912 benefited as well. There were also some small trim changes but you get the classic early 911 long hood body shape, cool chrome like trim and an overall package that will be 300-400lb lighter than the '76 912E while giving a tad more power overall.

I know guys who have built lightweight "912R"'s... stip out all the sound deadening and undercoating, go with plexi rear glass and side glass, fiberglass hood, rear deck and F+R bumpers and a lightweight RS style interior kit. With all that you can get an early 912 down to around 1650lb. Build a hotrod engine good for 110hp or so and you have a car that is VERY quick and handles better than a 911 to boot plus still gets great mileage. A good daily driver? Errrrrrr probably not, but a lot of fun!

Terry

6. 356racing

356racing Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    I would agree with the others. If you want a cheap and reliable Porsche driver go for a SC or early 80's Carrera. Those can probably be had in the 10-12K range and a 912E is around 8K these days. Also, don't let the 76 galvanized body fool you, I have a 76 911S in storage with more rust than my 67 912. All of these cars will rust in time.

7. Kjell

Kjell Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    An SC would be a better bet. I drove an SC for a daily driver for the last 6 years.
    Unbelievably reliable and plenty fast when needed too! Cost to run (including
    gas, depreciation, insurance, blaah blaah) was $13K, I ran it for 50,000 miles.
    Best deal around.

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Thanks for all the input! I've expanded my look into everything from 65 - 1980 - I think I need to drive a few. I bid on ebay for the nice 65 911 but got in a bid war with a guy who just had to have it.
    best

9. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    Get an SC. They are BULLET PROOF!!! Arguably the best old 911s around.

I had a '76 911s, and it was a good car. HOWEVER, the 2.7 liter motor of that era has major problems and I would suggest staying away from them unless you absolutely must have one. Go with the later 3.0 or 3.2 liter engine...you won't regret it!!!

10. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    I love the older 911 too, but wound up with an 87 in an interesting color (Lagoon green). Still vintage in feel, etc. but very usable and dead reliable. The size is perfect for around town, but it was perfectly fine for a 6 hour 400 mile day trip the other day.
    The other thing I love, from the perspective of an 60's ferrari owner, is that they are easy to get fixed, easy to fix yourself, and easy to get parts for. Such a fun car to own and use-I'm sorry I didn't get one sooner. See if you can get a copy of panorama-lots of nice 911s (and 912s too) in the classifieds.

11. chitown dave

chitown dave Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2005
    well...Chicago
    Full Name:
    well...Dave
    Why a 912?

cause it's one louder than 911!

I actually think the 912E would be a great play car - I look at them on ebay on occasion. Easy to work on, the classic look and as bullfighter pointed out the 4 banger is cheaper.

It's actually better handling too without as much weight off the back. Having said that the 78-83 SC and the 84-89 Carrera are in my opinion THE classic 911 and wouldnt cost that much more
    And they are bulletproof - 911 drivers of this vintage routinely go 200K miles without pulling the heads off. Adjust the valves and change the oil and they run forever. Early SCs should have the Carrera chain tentioners retrofitted and a popoff valve in the airbox.

Carerras are even more reliable since they have the above mentioned fixes as well as the G50 trans in later models and a 3.2 L engine.

I really miss mine and my current Pcar is a 996TT

12. chitown dave

chitown dave Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2005
    well...Chicago
    Full Name:
    well...Dave
    forgot to say you should go to rennlist - tons of info and Pcar nuts there to help you out.

Pelicanparts also has some good tech articles.

13. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    #13 Tony Fuisz, Nov 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Good taste in hot cars my man.

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Through some quirk in my personality, I am now the high bidder on two 356s. I do expect to be out bid if I do not raise, but I have always liked the 356. They both are B's. Anyone with any 356 experience?

16. 356racing

356racing Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    If you like the 356 B's go for it. They are very simple cars and fun to cruise around. The only bad bart about driving it daily would be poor heat and poor windshield wipers. You might think that being in Texas the heat would not matter but don't forget that's what your defroster needs too!

17. ntol

ntol Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Clemmons, NC
    Full Name:
    Neil