Discussion Topic: Nuisance posters | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Discussion Topic: Nuisance posters

Discussion in 'FerrariChat.com UK Workshop' started by Hud, Nov 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Of course, but it's wholly unfair to punish people twice! How do you ban someone who isn't even registered?

Just because a user may have an issue with someone on one site doesn't mean they have the same issue on another site!

2. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    most votes wins - so that would be more than 50% then:D

I sometimes worry about you.:D:D

3. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    A poll sounds a good idea but who would be allowed to vote? would it be just UK members only?

4. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I'm just a thick trouble making Brummie remember :p

5. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Surely it would be users of the UK section........which means every member potentially.Many may view the UK section, but only post elsewhere.The misdemeanours still affect them.....they have to wade through it to find the bits that they actually want to read

6. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It's wholly unfair they cause trouble and spoil other peoples enjoyment!

If they have an issue with a particular user than there are other means of dealing with it.

Might be heavy handed but might make people be more considerate.

7. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Great idea, then said candidate can start a campaign against his/her ban for the 24/48hr period. Seriously good idea.

8. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Rob

With respect as moderator you (or Andy) have to decide, if somebody is clearly disrupting the forum then they need to be banned by you not have it put to a a vote/ poll where potentially their immediate friends could vote to keep the person on line etc, like it or not there will be times where you will need to make a difficult and maybe unpopular decision

9. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sorry don't agree with this idea of a poll of users to ban someone, there will be no end of pm's,emails and phone calls between the various cliques to rigg polls in there favour.

Also, you can't ban someone off both sites for doing something wrong on only one site.

The Mods should decide on any bans that are issued after discussing it between themselves and all parties involved.

10. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    As of today..... I now think bans are a terrible idea!!!!! :D:D:D

There can not be a link or "treaty" between two forums... and as Clive has said, it would be an unfair double-whammy!

I think if if a 3 day poll were posted up, it would give too much time for the combatants (ie recent example of stevef and myself) to keep spreading ill-feeling, discontent, and yet more insults. Much shorter period required. I'd even say 8 hours.

If only 7 or 8 people voted on a ban (or not) it's still a damn sight more than on here, and a few more than on CS.

Edit: good point raised by Mark and Steve..... I could envisage the Spiceline ringing red hot if it were one of the Zig-a-Zig boys up b4 the beak!!

11. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Have no issue with difficult decisions!! Coming on here as a mod wasnt that easy!!!

In all honesty i do believe it is a fairer way - people might understand its not just the mods they are upsetting?

12. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I dont think the cliques are big enought to affect the voting.

Troublemakers are banned from all town centre pubs - that seems to work. Why not this? It just shows that it is one community. Why do anything to encourage these people?

Just my thoughts.

Interesting debate tho..

13. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Have you thought about who would be eligible to vote in one of these polls, for instance would it be fair for someone to vote who had only just registered??

14. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My time of three days was only a suggestion... Not everyone has the ability to read the forum everyday.

With ref to the spiceline....if youve done the crime then do the time?

15. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No steve. I hadnt given any thought to what ideas might come from these debates. If any good ones do come out of it then i have no issues wherever they are used - anything for some harmony:D

Going back to your question......what do you think would be fair were this to happen?

16. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm sure some positives will come from these debates.

My initial thoughts were as I said in my earlier post, a poll would be top easy to rigg, it would be like taking a poll at a football match as to wether the home striker was offside or not when he scored, the home side will always win ;).
    If you did go down this route, (and I haven't read anything to convince me it's a good idea) you deffo couldn't have new users voting. The condemned man would have everyone he knew registering and voting in his favour.

17. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Not so sure if they would be easy to rigg. You might be over estimating the size of the cliques - and remember whilst some of us are thick as theives there is always a matter of principals. I have had a couple of spankings from the lads for things i have said and done. Common sense will always prevail

18. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam

I wouldnt need to rig any vote via the Spice Boyz....my sheer popularity would quash any potential bans.... :p:p:p

Joking aside, a shorter period for a poll would be better to remove the possibility of a long drawn out battle. 12 hours is a long time in forum term. It took less than that for Alamogate to develop remember......

19. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Rob,

Just weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of the public poll.

i dont think its a good idea as the decision should be made by the mods/consultants for the greater benefit of the forum as a whole. We should be able to rely on you guys for this, an unbiased view.

The public poll may just raise questions and further disputes down the line.

I'm really glad this workshop was created and it'll be very interesting over the next week as we all work together to improve this place and set standards.

All i really want is for the Mods to implement certain guidelines that are monitored.

Hijacking will always happen in my opinion but there really should be a lmit as to the extent of it. The odd reference to something else is not bad.

Areas such as targeting people on private matters i think is extremely important and should not play any part of this forum. If it did then probably a warning should be given and then a three month ban if not permanent depending on the severity of the matter.

Just my 2 cents for the moment. Need to work!!!

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I still believe the best way to start over, no matter where one may sit, is:

<reality>Have a proper ale, <virtual reality>look at bridge, clink glasses</virtual reality> and toast: "Water under the bridge."</reality>

21. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I'm with matthew on this one. You can't really run bans and any other disciplinary actions as a democratic process, it's far too cumbersome a process and too open to abuse.

The important thing is to have rules and levels of punishment clearly defined. I believe that all reasonable listers would then accept the judgement of the mods in taking decisions. That after all is one of the reasons for having mods. I personally would have no problem with a single Mod handing out a short term ban, after all such a ban needs to be done quickly before any transaction grows into a bigger altercation. However for a lengthy or permanent ban I think it should be for a matter of a vote between the three Mods with a majority being required. That should go some way to calming any fear that a rogue mod might be guilty of using his power to his own ends. There would be nothing to stop a Mod giving a short term ban pending a final decisiopns by all 3 Mods

We all know what is alleged to have happened with a previous Mod and therefore it is important that when disciplinary action is taken the reasons are clearly and publcially stated to all so there is no room for argument.

To some extent CS has done that. It will also make it easier for Rob Lay to see what has gone on if (god forbid) there is ever a Mod problem in the future.

22. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks Matt. Some good input.

What 'certain guidelines' do you think should be implemented?

23. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thats pretty much how things used to be on here reading back through events in the mod forum. However i do recall the mods coming under huge criticism from the mob at the time. If i recall correctly the word 'nazi' was used.

24. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Nice as a temporary measure:D

Unfortunately someone knocked the bridge down.

25. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew

Totally agree.

Rob, its just the basic guidelines that would have stopped the recent events happening. I think if you look at the disruptions that have happened over the last couple of years in the section, they have some common factors. Setting standards in the section can get rid of this completely.