Discussion Topic: Retention levels | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Discussion Topic: Retention levels

Discussion in 'FerrariChat.com UK Workshop' started by Hud, Nov 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew

Rob,

i think the refreshed forum will take care of itself. What i thought was of great interest and relevence was that given the recents turmoil which occured, there were a number of posters that dropped in to say their thoughts on the matters, basically that they thought this place was a disgrace, that is why they left a year ago and that is why they were leaving again.

I had never seen these posters names before and thats a shame, not that i read each and each post or thread but its a shame that they posted such comments. In a way, I was glad to see their comments as i thought it was critical for the mods to take note of this.

I'll be honest, I found myself being targeted slightly by those that i was obviously arguing with but even those that I was trying to do justice for. I got too involved in the debate and as a result of that, the debate carried on and on and on. In the end, the best thing happened, the threads were closed and this workshop was created.

I just think that the place will attract new users and encourage non posters to be more involved if the place is structured better and rules are kept to.

I dont think non posters should be banned if they dont meet a post quota. Definitely not.

2. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I dont think that its a waste of time trying to find a solution. We should do everything we can to encourage interaction from new and existing members.

Totally agree about quality topics, but this is where things become difficult i guess. After a while, unless there is fresh blood coming in things all get a bit stale and the place will start to suffer.

3. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew

theres only so much people can talk about with Ferraris etc but i know what you mean. The section will go through waves of interest but i dont think theres anything that can be done about that

4. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Aplogies - "waste time" was probably not very well put. But personally I'd far rather have quality than quantity.

5. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thats why were here:D I am sure with some imagination and a conceited group rather than individual effort we can move things on.

6. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Rob, as others have said, quality, not quantity there should be no penalty for only posting from time to time, any attempt to force people to post or ban them if they don't will hardly encourage new members to join

7. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    thats the attitude we are trying to avoid. A CONCERTED group effort would be far more productive.;)

8. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Freudian slip of the week!!!!!!

9. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    ...or was it:D

10. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    The problems of the last 12 months has put a few posters off which was caused by robs choice of moderator as that was the main problem with fchat uk
    but i personally think the site will build up now and is getting more popular everyday dont really think the mods will have a difficult job on here now the only thing that annoys me is that for a year i have been branded as a trouble maker on here with stevew leep which was totally wrong

My only input is if someone complains abourt something or someone look at the problem properly before banning or giving warnings like has been previously done on here

11. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    All water under the bridge Steve, clean slate for all.

This workshops all about moving things forward, so am interested in your point of fairness when moderating, a Gun ho approach is not correct.

12. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    changing tact slightly, if the guys who put their hands up to discuss ways to move this forum forward cant be rrsed to post on the subject matters, what chance have we got of re creating the spark Fchat UK once had??? The whole idea of a workshop is to bounce ideas off each other, if you have no ideas on how to make it better, unfortunately the forum will remain, well, a little dull, even given Robs exuberance and enthusiasm. :(:(:(

13. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    As has been said there will always be lurkers but I think there are also lurkers who would like to get involved. These individuals have probably never posted on an internet forum before.
    I have no worries now signing up to any forum if I need information but I was quite wary when I first posted on Fchat [and with good reason - Stevew dismissed one of my early posts as 'crap', I got him back in the end tho' ;)]

Threads are needed that are easily accessible. Also when a new user sticks his head up, effort could be made to show that his post/information is valued. The worst thing that happens is that the regulars just continue their banter around the post.

14. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    yes I agree with that but what I am saying is that if the people who ASKED to be included in this private workshop dont bother participating, what chance has the forum got?? A private workshop aint the place for lurkers, its the place for ideas, comment and debates, surely??

15. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I agree with both Andy and Adam.

Out of interest Rob, who IS included in the workshop. Name them and maybe we can persuade them to partake.

Incidentally, I have so far only contributed to the nuisance and retention subjects because I feel that is where the biggest problems may lie. I must find time to contribute to the other subjects.

I've been a bit busy elsewhere, having taken on the role of Thames Valley Area Organiser for the FOC last night - no jokes or adverse comments please!!

I for one will be promoting a greater understanding between the forums and my Area of the FOC and I hope you'll support me. Sorry for going OT.

16. CUE99T

CUE99T Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ok, reading over the posts, some comments which I hope help:

1. Do people actually know how to post and how to get images up, i.e. resize them?
    2. Do they know what a membership offers in addition to just being a non-subscriber?
    3. Are we targetting Ferrai owners (current/past/future) or just "likers" of the marque?
    4. Is the site friendly, as it does get a bit "gangy" how is this combat'ed?
    5. How is advice sought or given, via a dedicated channel or just opinions as this is what has stopped me using site in the past, as people take offence to your views.
    6. I think personal issues with people should be taken offline with the parties concerned or they should be given a warning if the comments deem harsh and would stop a poster coming back in the mods eyes.
    7. What the whole site offers and not just the UK section explained a bit further to new members and existing as I bet I've only used a 10th of the sites capacity.
    8. Movies section or video links section.
    9. Accessories/aftermarket bits section, you know like a car shop...tyres, brands of polish etc etc......

Thats all for now.

17. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    thats the whole point Frances. These guys put their hand up to help and now are no where to be seen....shouldnt have to persuade them to post....sorta defeats the object.

Congrats on your appointment BTW :D

18. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No, its OK Frances - I'm not going to ram this down peoples throats. The people that genuinely have an interest are already offering plenty of excellent ideas -enough to ge my mind thinking. Some of the others might not have access to a pc all week. (although I know angelis should be lurking somewhere:D)

In terms of working with clubs you for one should know thats a subject very close to my heart. (remember the reason i ran for FOC).

19. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob

Some good points there Paul.

Fair point on how to use the site - might almost be worth making instructions as a sticky. Smilies are always a hard one - even for the more seasoned poster.

20. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Why is that? This is a V-Buletin board just like CS, so the code must be in the system somewhere. The use of smileys can often stop posts being seen as offensive.

21. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I dont know is the honest answer Clive, maybe running an older version of software? Lots of stuff from these workshops to discuss with Rob. I also miss the new posts facility...

22. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Don't forget that this workshop has only been up for 2 full days and we all have other things, like work to fit it ;) yesterday for example I didn't have chance to properly sit down and read either site until around 10.30pm, and sometimes with threads like this I take some time to read them a few times and get my thoughts together before posting a reply.

23. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    There was always opposition to animated smilies as they were considered too distracting; lots of people view FC from work etc....

24. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Does stealth mode remove smilies?

25. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002