My fastetst FXX's video | Page 4 | FerrariChat

My fastetst FXX's video

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Manuma, Nov 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTA

JTA Rookie

Dec 13, 2004
    Oh, well in that case, I guess it is acceptable to put other people's lives (fellow track drivers, track employees and the passenger) at risk as long as it is for personal amusement and the entertainment of others.

Thanks for the clarification.

2. poppy84

poppy84 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2005
    Italy & Paris
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    I don't understand where you saw the risks in those videos...perhaps you are talking about the mobile phone? I think he gives it at the passenger because it obstructed his legs.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Guys...don't bite...JTA's just a troll. check out his profile. jealousy is very sad.

4. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    #79 Admiral Thrawn, Nov 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Jompen

Jompen Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Manuma, pls post more FXX videos, Personally I LOVE that sound and the car looks sick. I´ve watched +10 times =)

Have you ever driven a F1 car ?
    I have but I´ve never been close to a FXX, would be fun to hear what you think about the difference between a Fxx and a F1 ?

6. JTA

JTA Rookie

Dec 13, 2004

Honestly, if you don't see it, you never will.

7. JTA

JTA Rookie

Dec 13, 2004

Hardly.

8. poppy84

poppy84 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2005
    Italy & Paris
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    Sincerely, I don't think so...

Best

9. JTA

JTA Rookie

Dec 13, 2004

As someone that tracks their cars, I'm concerned about the well being of others. Granted, if this driving were done on a professional race track in the US he would be banned immediately, though it appears the rules are more lax internationally. For one thing, professional race tracks don't allow people to have cell phones during driving sessions.

It is amazing how a lot of you couldn't care less about other people's personal safety, just so you can watch this lunatic toss cars he doesn't even own around like a game of Mario Kart with no regard for the consequences of his selfish actions.

I wonder if any of you would feel differently, if this guy is searching for his cell phone again (Why the hell was he allowed to have that on his person to begin with?!) loses control of the vehicle and smacks into someone you know. This is not to mention the other careless behavior the few times he did have two hands on the wheel.

Whatever, its like trying to tell a bunch of 5 year olds there is no Santa.

10. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew

Ok everyone, lets calm down a bit here.

I do understand where JTA is coming from with regards the cellphone but nothing else and I'm sure Manuma obviously knows that cellphones or even anything should not be loose within the cockpit whilst driving.

Lets move on however if we do see another cellphone flying about in another video of yours Manuma, we'll have to take the FXX off you for safe keeping.

May i just add that the FXX video I just watched is absolutely awesome. I feel like swearing right now. I mean that car is real quick and sounds unbelievable.

I was surprised at how twitchy it was and can understand why some have been involved in accidents, you have to be a real pro to drive one of those things!

Silly question-----why dont they put gear changes on the steering wheel as it looks slightly edgy having to take the hand off going round a corner to change gear?????

regards,

Matthew

11. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    What car and circuit was it?

12. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Doubt that. It would not have looked as exciting from outside. The only difference in requirement would have been the use of a safety helmet.

Noone talked on it though, he just handed it to the passenger on a straight. Don't forget race drivers talk on the radio and play with the setup of the car (especially in F1) constantly on track. These are all distracting activities which theoretically increase the danger.

His own safety and that of his passenger were really the only ones in danger.

Such as what?

People aren't here to be lectured by some anonymous Joe on his high horse with 5 posts and a bag of disapproval.

13. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I'm sure the officials will turn a blind eye to some insufficient safety issues.

I think when someone with an FXX shows up at a race track to screw around for a couple of laps, its safe to say he's the BOSS, and can do whatever he feels like!!! :)

14. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    I would like to hope not. I understand what you're saying, but I would think that someone with this caliber of car would take more precautions than anyone else. Not that I think he did anything outrageously dangerous, but it's the whole "with much given there is much responsibility" thing. Fantastic videos, and what a sound!!

15. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Seriously, i mean im not saying that he is God or something because he owns a fxx, but if he wants to have fun let him!

16. Racerboy

Racerboy Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    Amen

I am amazed at some of the niave people/views on this board. I hate to site a specific example, but it is apparent that most of you just don't understand driving a race car on track and the dangers that can be found in foolishness as displayed on these videos. A few years back a fellow named Bob Akin was killed at a Road Atlanta HSR event because of a driver of less intelligence, skill and experience. The HSR GTP series is for retired prototype cars (full ground effects and big block/twin turbo motors of 800-1200hp); as they are of extreme historic and monetary value they can only be afforded to run by the affluent. While these people may be able to afford the cars, there is no real way to prove their ability to drive them, much like the FXX and its series. The crash that killed Bob Akin occured in a *practice session* when the talent (retired professional and Sebring 12 winner) Bob Akin went to over take a slower car and was cut off when the less experienced driver did not see him. The Nissan GTP launched into the woods and caught fire and even though he was wearing all of the proper safety equipment Bob did not survive. This is a terrible situation which reflects exactly what can happen when someone who doesn't know what they are doing is put in a P car and could easily be replicated in an FXX. This guy goes out in a very purposeful car in short sleeves and an open face helmet, lacking almost all essential saftey gear. If one thing goes wrong he could end his life and very possibly someone elses in seconds. To those of you unfamiliar with the dangers of autosport, this could be something as simple as tire failure, losing a wheel or running over coolent/oil deposited from someone else.

Now I know that some of you say "look at this post, he was only 1 second off Benuzzi at Fiorano." I hate to tell you, but those of you that think he is a good driver because he set some fast laps know nothing about driving. A good driver, a truly gifted and intelligent great driver is not one because he set a few fast laps on day. This type of driver comes with years of experience, this driver has poise, knowledge of his surroundings and the ability be consistent, methodical and precise over and over again. A driver like this is smooth and deliberate and does not upset the car.

The driver you see in these videos possesses none of these qualities. Some of you now will say "he isn't trying for a fast lap, he is having fun and drifting." I guess I have to explain how to drive to you too. If he knew how to "drift" a car then when he turned in, instead of upsetting the car and fiddling with it for half of the corner he would turn in, upset the car, apply power, correct and modulate power as neccessary. You should see no "sawing" of the wheel as this driver does mulitple times per turn and why this driver repeatedly hits the inside curb, except maybe for shear lack intuition is beyond me.

While I don't mean to directly offend anyone, I am sure that I have and for that I apologize. I simply hope that I can shed some light on why this type of driving is unnecessarily dangerous to him and everyone else... and it is.

17. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Lets all show some respect for MANUMA, he is a member of this site and we are fortunate to have him here, and for posting his amazing videos.

All this negative criticism he is getting here is not admired. Obviously he is a gentleman with significant experience in automobiles, and we should trust his judgements.

Lets just agree that any racing is dangerous, and we all show some responsibility when operating any of our own vehicles.

18. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I'll go with that!

19. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Even though I'm not familiar with this particular incident, this is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. Acting like that driver was fully responsible for that accident is naive. These incidents occur at ALL levels of driving from NASA all the way up to F1. You CANNOT place sole blame on the person that was being overtaken, to do so is just ignorant. There may have been 100 factors that went into the incident occuring, you cannot know all of them. No matter how much experience someone has, they will ALWAYS make mistakes. The driver is still human. This incident could easily have happened because Bob Akin decided to try to make the pass at the wrong time. Maybe he had been riding the guys blind spot trying to get around him. The driver in the slower car can't be looking at whats behind him the entire time, or else he would be an even bigger threat to everyone on the track. hell, even if he was, he can't see everything behind him. You can take this exact same situation over and over as much as you want, and you will get a different outcome every single time. Some of the times Bob Akin would have been killed. But there would be times when he was only injured. And then there would have been times where he would have come out of it without a scratch.

The incident is clearly tragic, no doubt about it. But saying it was because of a 'less experienced' driver is just pointless, you just simply CANNOT say that HIS mistake was the ONLY mistake that attributed to the death of Mr. Akin.

And just so you know, my family owns a grand am team. I know full well what the dangers of this sport are. I've had my father bumped off the track at VIR onto wet grass travelling at or above 70 miles an hour directly into a wall, and he has hit the wall at the chicane at Daytona coming off of the bank with the SIDE of the car doing well over 70 miles an hour. I've driven atleast 15 HPDEs in the last two years. The last time I was at Kershaw I came to within inches of hitting the wall at turn three. When the car broke loose and snapped back the other direction I was travelling at such a speed that I was sure I was going to hit the wall, and it was only a matter of time. I got lucky and the car really dug in to the sand trap and got the car stopped. My brother has hit the inside wall at 17 at VIR when the rear wheels broke loose. He almost caught it but as soon as the left rear tire went off track, there was nothing he could do and was going for a ride. That wasn't even in a race. I've had my car starve for fuel at turn 4 at VIR with another car behind me. Luckily the person behind me handled it well and I was able to maintain control due to the low speed nature of the turn. Had that been going through turn 10 at over 90 miles an hour, I may have not been so lucky. My family and I have been lucky so far, and we hope that it stays that way, but we realize that at some point, we might not.

20. RolexNJ

RolexNJ Rookie

Oct 24, 2006
    NJ & South MA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Well, I watched your videos and can only say that if you want to drift, play around, goof off, talk on the cel phone while driving a million dollar car with a friend in the passenger seat; while you're passing other cars that is up to you. But no offense, I think what you were doing is unsafe (you had other cars on the track) it shows your lack of respect for yourself and the passenger, let alone it clearly demonstrates how poor your driving skills are. I'm sorry, but I tell it like it is.

I usually don't post here, but wandered here and thought I'd add my two cents to the thread since I love the cars you have. I have one suggestion and that is, go and attend a formal racing school, like the Ferrari one or another professional one. It will teach you the basics in "all aspects" of fast driving, club racing, or better yet, Pro level stuff. For honestly, based upon your videos, you need to start with the basics. If I was that passenger, I would have jumped out the car the second I saw your abilities!

There are countless driving schools out there, countless. All having ex pro-level drivers or inspiring instructors. It amazes me how many schools have popped up, even more so since the proliferation of shifter-karts (which I raced too). I have attended 3 school overall, so it's fair to say I have some credability here? To date, one of the best school I've been to is the Skip Barber 3 Day Course. I'm not going to go into the laundry list as to why, for I'm sure you can review their web site and see what's entailed. In short, when I did it, it was 3 days long, we used Formula Fords (junk), compared to the Formula Dodges (awesome) they use today. They have top notch instructors, data acquisition on cars, and are all over the country too. Overall, the Skippy School is bar none top notch. Can't go wrong. I would also look into getting their video too (no I dont work for them either) called, "Going Faster". This bascially re-affirms everything you just learned in your few day course. I would make it your bible, review it again and again.

Here in the US, I looked at Bertil Roos, Bob Bondurant, Derek Daly, etc. I researched so many its ridiculous. I can't say a thing about the Ferrari School, but can only imagine it is top notch. The other school I attended which was, and I still think is the best in the world is the Elf-Winfield School in the south of France, where you're experiencing an incredible track - Paul Ricard. This school is known for producing countless F3000 and F1 Drivers. I can't begin to tell you how many graduated from there. By far, the best classroom training Ive ever had. Then each day, as we focused on a certain technique, I could see the huge difference between these instructors and the ones at Skip Barber. People in Europe, love, eat, and breath two sports. One is soccer, and the other is F1, period. That said, each instructor has immense knowledge and passion for teaching every single student. I was there for 1 week straight and it was the most intense, fulfilling, and exhilierating experience I ever had. Just amazing. We used F2000 Renaults that toped out at 150 MPH. We had 30 students, and only 2 were selected to make it to what they call the "second round". With this school, they had 2 rounds of schooling. And the end, they invited for the 3rd round only a selected few, like 10 people to compete for 1st place from all over the world. As I said, this school is world reknown. And the prize? Well, it is the same prize that Richie Hearn (who was one of my instructors) won when he did it. If you finished in 1st place, you won 1 full season of F2000 in France. Everything was paid for by Elf and Renault, everything. It was there hope then that if this person won the F2000 series, they would be slotted by Elf to F3000. How's that, not bad?

Let me say this, and I'm not here to be boastful at all. But I've raced everything from 125cc Shifter Karts, been instructors in several clubs, tested and/or raced in numerous series (my racing resume is pretty vast), right up to the old IMSA GTP series. I am a former pro-level IMSA GTP racer (privateer), whos raced in the same series with Doc Bundy, Chip Robinson, Geoff Brabham, PJ Jones, Davey Jones, Jaun Fangio # 2, just to name a few. You may have never even heard of them too? And one thing I can say which is the norm of people who are very wealthy, have money to burn, and want fast toys. I see it time and time again. People like you my friend don't want to really learn and master the basics in cars that max out at 135 MPH. They don't want to invest the time to be critiqued by instructors, and maybe to do a few races in an entry level series. Most at best join a club and do some tracking, get approved from an Intsructor and then drive. Nobody wants to invest the time for formal schooling, and then to hone those skills. Instead, it is guys like you who, at best, do a 3 day course, get the certificate, brag to their friends they did it over a $500 bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild, and then tell their wives they are going to buy a brand new 2007 F430 F1, or in your case an Enzo & FXX, and start going to a lot of tracking events. And then what happens most of the time? At some point in time, their testosterone shoots up on the track, and they want to blast past a slower car, like a 360 F1 for their turn in point. But, they wind up braking too late, miss their turn in point, overshoot the apex, and wind up spinning off the track, or worse, taking someone else out.

So what's the moral of the story coming from a guy who's started from scratch, and stategically and methodically worked his way up to a Pro ride? Take the time to learn and master the basics, period. It's that simple, but no one wants to do it. And as bad as this sounds, it's pathetic that I still see quite often people like you with exotic cars out there jeopordizing yourself and others. Go back to the basic of a slower car and work on your skills with a real professional instructor. Stick to the basics for a while, do some lapping days or, do a few races in entry level series. Anyway, Im sorry but I wanted to share my views here, for I would never drive a car like that, let alone be proud and post it for all to see? Never.

Good luck to you, and all the others who are on the track with you at the same time.

Racerboy: I knew Bob and drove in the same series. I agree with you, excellent post my friend :)

21. Manuma

Manuma Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2004
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Manu
    My dear you are so great to tell the story of your life and your great abilities to drive that you can't understand if a driver is able to go fast or not.
    I made 5 driving course and I will do other 2 in the next months so I don't have problems to go to learn from someone.

I'm not a racing driver, I'm only a normal driver and I drive better then the other Normals.

In every drive course I was the fastest and also on track I'm quite fast.

I found a sponsor that wanted to let me race in the Italian 360 challenge because on track I made the same laps time that made the italian champion with the same car.

So if you are an instructor you have to understand if you are in front of a crazy, of an able driver or not.

THAN I REPEAT THAT I DON'T WANTED TO SHOW YOU HOW I DRIVE BUT ONLY THE FXX AND SOME VIDEOS DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHERS.

22. RolexNJ

RolexNJ Rookie

Oct 24, 2006
    NJ & South MA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You clearly didnt understand my post at all. You are a danger to yourself and to others. I dont think you fully undertstood my posting, although it was quite articulate. Then again I can't blame you though, for English isn't your primary language. Go and have fun.

Bye

Ho and h

23. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Maybe you should take us for a lap in your FXX??

How dare you heckle a respectable member like him!

Its none of your business how he wishes to drive his own Ferrari, maybe you should just stick to your old "IMSA" cars, they're alot slower.

24. RolexNJ

RolexNJ Rookie

Oct 24, 2006
    NJ & South MA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Well by reading your postings, and viewing your profile, it is apparent that you are just a "Boy" StaRboy and your inability to see things from a safety perspective. Go play with your dirt bikes.

By the way, you aren't even a paying member, so you talk about a "valued" member? What about you? LOL.

Have fun,

:)

25. Manuma

Manuma Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2004
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Manu
    I would be happy to hear your Italian