Mondial Modification/Upgrade list (also for 308/328) | FerrariChat

Mondial Modification/Upgrade list (also for 308/328)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by snj5, Nov 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #1 snj5, Nov 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Was just going down memory lane on stuff done, am doing or will do that have been successful in tweaking my wonderful Mondial for more reliability, power and livability over the past TEN years and documented here on Fchat. Some of these will cross fit to the 308/328 as well. If anyone needs any advice or how-to's, I'm always available:

Done:
    1. 17" Speedline Ferrari wheels, 7.5 and 8.5 widths
    2. Tubistyle exhaust, later replaced by improved freeflow system with better tone and less volume
    3. Single distributor electronic distributor with MSD (big reliability improvement)
    4.Replace Bosch K-jet and retrofit Ferrari Weber 40DCNF (resulting HP and torque like a 348 with better reliability and sound)
    5. De-silenced airbox mod, later upgraded to dual plenums and open side scoop
    6. Vented Brembo brake discs
    7. S/S brake lines
    8. Koni adjustable perch shocks, lowering the car just a bit
    9. New Eibach higher rate springs in the rear
    10. German square weave carpet
    11. Aluminum replacement switch panels for central console replacing cheap plastic (order one now!) and STCorsa billet aluminum central A/C vent
    12. The FAMOUS Mondial aluminum cupholder replacing the plastic cassette storage (order one now!)
    13. Upgraded amp and coax speakers with dynomat in doors
    14. Sub woofer and amp in matching box between rear seats (may be available for order soon)
    15. Window tint

Works in progress:

1. Waiting for FChat fusebox upgrade while I figure out how to upgrade the right side box loom connector.
    2. Larini s/s ceramic coated headers with true dual flow-through exhaust using resonators woth silencers.

Future
    1. Port and polish heads - waiting on data from Mark Eberhardt, the 'Flow Master'

Anyway, just a few things. Here's some pics of some of them:
    Many thanks to all the great FChat folks who helped and continue to do so!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bartmandial 8

bartmandial 8 Rookie

Sep 3, 2006
    Olympia WA
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Russ,
    I have read many of your threads and admire your work. I wanted to thank you for all your help here on fchat. I think your car is great and sits just about perfect. Love the dark colors on the Mondi. Mine is Serra Blue.
    For simplicity reasons, could you give me the part numbers for the muffler and tips you have shown on the second pic of this thread? Thanks. Bret.

3. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    Ditto on this Russ!!!

By the way, I think I recall a thread on this, but I can't seem to locate the process / part numbers / cost of doing the single distributor retrofit. Do you have a location on the details of this change? I would imagine the car would have to benefit as much on reliability from this change as from just about anything else.

Also, that's the first I've seen of the cupholder in the center console.......really cool! You making those? If so, how much?

Thanks again for all of the research and development you do on the Mondial!

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #4 snj5, Nov 4, 2006
    thanks, guys.

On that particular exhaust photo, that is a Magnaflow s/s 5"x8"x18" oval with a 3" inlet and two 2.5" outlets. I do not remember the tips, but they are dual 3" open tips. Hooker makes resonated and unresonated versios as well (52021417). I later went to a slightly larger Dynomax silencer later with the same in/out and connected them to a pair of Ansa resonated tips - was a bit smoother. The Magnaflow/open tips was more of a snarl.

The single electronic distributor is a Mallory Unilite for a flathead Ford V-8 modified by Mallory for reverse rotation ($26 fee from Mallory) on a billet adaptor and drive machined by Norwoods. I also use an MSD 6AL and hot coil.

The billet cupholder is available in aluminum or anodized black for about $80 or so. Drop me a PM if you want one.

5. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    I'm not honestly a big fan of the Mondial mainly for its looks but I've got to say yours is the dog's b***ocks! Thats a great looking car and must have performance to match by the sound of it.

Very interested in the carb conversion you did. I'm struggling .with the Kjet on my 328 and love the carbs on the GT4.

Cheers

Mark

Taiwan

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    WOW, most impressive! Hotter cams and Girodisc SLOTTED floating rotors for all 4 corners come to mind.

7. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Very nice set of mods to an under appreciated model.

8. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Russ,

Thanks, I appreciate your " all in one place" summary catalog of all your upgrades and I try and follow-along. I got my ST Corso vent installed this summer and it was great, don't know how you coupe guys managed without it. Stay with the mondial, I think the car is great and has such potential. Anything for replacement rear window motors that actually work and are reasonable?

9. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    Anyone know if STCorsa is still in business? I've tried their website several times lately, and I can't get to them.....In lieu of that, anyone still have their phone number?

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    All sounds great. This was covered in some thread elsewhere? I imagine this might be a reasonable way to get a significant power boost to my 2v Mondial.

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yes - many threads on this and the old board. A 2v Mondial would be EASY to do as it should be a bolt on of any pre-1980 manifolds, carbs and air cleaner (and fuel pump). Could do it in a weekend and a $2 -3 thousand tops or less depending on parts. My bet would be around 25+ hp, more low end torque and WAY better throttle response which will make it feel like more. And the sound would be WAY better to boot. And more reliable. And weigh less. And easier to work on. And less fuel efficient and harder to pass emissions sniff tests if your state as them (had to put a down side...)

But - I'm predjudiced.

Project estimate for 2v Mondial carb conversion:

New 40 DCNFs - $1200
    308 carb manifolds - $500
    Airbox - $250 ($100 if use individual filters)
    Linkage pieces - $100
    Facet fuel pump and new fuel lines - $100
    gaskets - $150

Total about $2300 in parts if my guestimates are still close and I have not forgotten anything.
    best
    rt

12. truman bond

truman bond Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2006
    Great thread, Tillman kindly sent me here

Way to go Russ - you may have solved my intellectual challenge, love the looks & better reliability of a 328 over a 308 and 329 sounds a tad anemic below 3k - conversion time. 512 bixer pricey and no room for golf clubs, so...

Many thanks - when I get nearer later in the year I'll drop you a PM

and by the way I have never found a car lowered t look good or better, but yours DOES. Hope to meet you and yours (car that is) one day...

best

13. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Hi Russ

Do you have a part number for the shocks and the springs, or do you know the poundage and length of those springs, Thanks Pete

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The front shocks are stock w/ stock springs with adjustable perches added by FChat sponsor Carobu. They also provided the rear aluminum adjustable Koni shocks. The stock rear spring rates are 200 #/inch. As I wanted to decrease understeer and sharpen up the steering a little, the new Eibach spring rate is 225 #/inch. May also add a stronger rear anti-roll bar. More to come.
    Recommend you give Tate Casey at Carobu a call - tell him I sent you - it'll remind him to check on my tubi headers I ordered ... :)

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #15 snj5, Feb 9, 2007
    Many thanks.
    Actually I have found what works for me is very subtle, measured and reliable changes - nothing wild. I really like sticking with OEM if possible (Speedline, Weber, Koni, Momo). It's all about restrained balance and simple elegance.
    Hope to meet you as well.

16. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    That's a beautiful Mondial Russ, well done mods on what is already a stunning car.

17. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Russ, very nice Mondial. Thanks for all the info.

Charles

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    My Current Mods:
    16" Superformance wheels replaced TR390s
    HID headlights
    Rebuilt alternator, now 95A

UPGRADE TO MODERN SPORTSCAR PERFORMANCE:
    Coming over the next 12-36 months:
    300+ hp Supercharger
    Upgraded clutch to handle SC hp.
    328 Sump & pickup, sump baffle system.
    Modern shocks & springs
    High performance brakes, slotted rotors.

Sound system.

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Could you tell a bit more on the alternator upgrade - that sounds very interesting.
    Many thanks

20. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Russ here's from an older post i had,
    just had mine rebuilt here's the bosch list of parts to upgrade to 95+amps.

00p31-9105 rect-bo ir/ef ibr331
    00p38-14000s stator bosch 90a 13122/14000
    00p35-9104 vr/bh-bo ir/ef ib353
    00p6-303-4 bearing 6303-2rs
    00p6-3101-4 ball bearing w6001 12x28x12mm
    00p42-91100 insulator bosch alt

total cost was $203.00

it's the most amount of amps you'll get out of the stock case. mine came out with 110amps, i guess there is some variance but it should be 90 and above. really really helped the mondi's electrics.

21. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    328 Sump? Can you put a dry sump in a 308 that didn't have it?

Sound system too?? Boy, i can just hear that "Big Band" music crank up load.:D

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    very cool, very clever
    It's considered subtlety such as this that can really polish the whole gem.
    Will be interested to hear how Verell did his as well.

I will be putting new headers on in March, will look also at uprating alternator.

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    FChatter Philip Airey (pma1010) beautifully dry sumped his P-6 cammed 308, and documented the way to do it in an older tech thread.

24. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    About 6 mo after took delivery of my car, the alternator failed. Only time the car has really broken down. The slip rings were deeply grooved & the brushes in the regulator were worn out because oil had been getting sucked into the back of the alternator (Long unfunny story involving the incompetent mechanic that did the major as part of my purchase, it's all in the old fchat).

The local BOSCH rebuilder said that the slip rings couldn't be replaced. He ordered an exact rotor, had to come from Germany, took 2 months & something like $250!

Rest of the rebuild cost about $80.

The total list rebuilding list looks like smg2's except that my diodes were fine so weren't replaced.

Wasn't going for more power, but when bench tested it put out 95A. Don't know if that's just typical German over-engineering, or if the new rotor delivered more Amperes.

Since then I've located a source of replacement slip rings, & have repaired that bad rotor just in case.

25. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    It's doable, Can either locate the early 308 parts & retrofit them, involves some machining of the block & timing cover as I recall. Search the old fchat, there was a thread there somewhere.

Or you can design your own which some others have done, again, search is your friend.

Umm, well, It'll mostly Nawlens Jazz, Texas & Lousiana style Blues... , but yes, some big band as well. But I'll season it with some Iron Butterfly & other Golden Oldies from the late 50s thru early '70s.

Just haven't a clue where to put that pair of 12" subs...