Birdman's Fuse Blocks | FerrariChat

Birdman's Fuse Blocks

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jbryant, Feb 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    #1 Jbryant, Feb 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I installed Birdman’s Fuse Blocks today. Straight foreword installation. I received everything required to install. I have noticed a few differences now that the electrical is working right.

The windows go up and down much faster now. 3 seconds to go down and 4 to go up. This is compared to 4 seconds down and 7 seconds to go up before the new fuse blocks. Even the headlights appear to be brighter. I smoke (Not in the Car) and I noticed that the cigar lighter heats up faster. Also, not as much static on FM station either.

It is hard to believe that such a difference can be made in just changing the fuse blocks. If you have not changed over, I highly recommend using his fuse blocks. It really is amazing.

Jeff
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Jeff, thanks man! (Honest, I didn't pay him to say that!!!)

Birdman

3. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Do yourself a favor and change all of the relays too. Electrical problems will vanish. They are 20+ years old too. (about $100 for all of them at RockAuto.com)

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Lucky bastids! it cost me $800 to replace all the relays on the mondi! doesn't help that there are 22 of them! and we still don't have a working fix for the horrible fuse box. at least I have 4 seats ;)

5. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Well.... So do I....AND carbs.....AND no shoddy Mondial fuseboxes! ;) ;)

GT4s Rule!

....and so do Birdman's Fuseblocks!

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    UMPH! i'm going to go drink a beer now.

:)

7. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    this may seem silly but is there any difference between left and right-hand drive wiring on these cars ?

I've wanted to change the fuse block for some time, does this fuseblock have the same old fuse type or is it updated with the spade connector type ?

the picture isn't clear for my poor eyesight :(

also surely there is a better modern alternative to the relay from 25 years ago ??!!

8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    John,
    Birdman's fuseblocks use glass AGC-type fuses, not the OEM style.

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    No. The "left" fuseblock and the "right" fuseblock stay in the same place relative to each other in both right and left hand drive. Just as the gas and brake pedals do not swap positions, neither do the fuseblocks.

Birdman

10. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    ...so what yer sayin' is....on a RHD car, the gas and brake pedals stay over on the left for the passenger to control? ;)

11. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    #11 jwise, Feb 26, 2007
    Here are my Birdman fuseblocks installed. All installed easily, and I have had no issues with the fuses for almost two years now.

12. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    thanks J , Per and Birdman

do I just send you a PM to get one Birdie ?

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Either you have tiny feet or those are really huge fuses!
    :D
    BT

14. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Since the comparable Mondial and 308's are so similar, what is so different about the fuse boxes that you can't use the replacement and make do? Or are these cars more different that I'm imagining?

Ken

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    In terms of the fusebox, they are very different.

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Exactly! ;)

John, click the link in my signature and it'll take you to my site.

Birdman

17. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Aaron.... have to agree with all the above. :D... and will be buying the fuseblocks very soon. I had a problem a few months back which resulted in the "flasher" and horn not working. Theses are on the same fuse which had melted.... seems Birdman's blocks are the way to go. :)

Edit: Yup... GT4's rule.!!!

18. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    #18 FasterIsBetter, Feb 26, 2007
    Did my Birdman install last summer. They are the best and easiest upgrade that you can make to a 308. If you haven't done it, you are on borrowed time. Just get a set and take a few minutes to do the upgrade. They really make all the electrics in the car work better and more dependably, plus no chance of meltdown like with the stock blocks. NAYYY, just a very satisified customer.

19. ferrari308gtsi

ferrari308gtsi Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    Palm Coast,FL
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I installed my Birdman fuse blocks last October and they fixed all my electrical problems. I was so frustrated with my car I almost sold it and then I bought the Birdmans fuse blocks and all is well again. I guess I'll keep it. Thanks again Birdman.

20. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    +1

My left high beam still doesn't work and the windows are just as slow. In truth, i didn't expect the fuse blocks and relays to fix any of these problems, i just did it to make sure a known weakness doesn't leave me stranded in the future. Call it preventative maintenance, (and reasonably priced too).

Birdman paid me .02 cents to divulge my innermost feelings on the subject - well, i wish he had anyway.

thanks Bird
    cm

21. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Wow, this is great, look at all these great testamonials I can put on my site!!!!

:D

Birdman

22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman

Hey Chris,
    Sorry it didn't fix the windows or the high beam. Some people experience faster windows and some don't. Depends on how much the issue is the old hardened grease in the window gears, and how much is resistance of the fuseblocks. (That's why I never promise anyone faster windows! If you get it, great! But no promises!) The other issue with the windows is the resistance in the wiring and switches. Because of the LONG wires to get back and forth from the switches to the motors and the grounds, there is a LOT of resistance in the wiring. I did a test on my motors a while back. In going up, there is only 8 volts at the motor under high load. If you can get the full 12 volts to them, they are much faster.

There's a guy in England selling relay kits that shorten the ground path and up that voltage by a couple volts and make the windows a tad shorter. I did an experiment on mine and it would speed the windows up quite a bit. I may buy a pair. But I have already rebuilt and relubed my motors.

Sounds like your high beam is just a bad connector someplace. Shouldn't be too hard to trace with the schematic.

Birdman

23. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #23 spiderseeker, Feb 27, 2007
    I think the main reason for the Birdman fuseblocks is to cure the fuel pump melted fuse problem. The fuel pump draws too much current for the stock fuseblocks, especially after 15 years or so. Without Birdman's fuseblocks this is your future-see photos attached.

24. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant

I agree, check the connectors. I cannot believe how the wiring is done on these cars. May take some time but I bet you find a bad connector.

As far as the grease, the motors are not really all that hard to remove and replace. The window cable is the hardest part. I used a stick of wood to hold the window in place while I had the motors out. Was not that hard after that.

Jeff

25. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Thanks Bird,

I have often thought that two of the greatest benefits of FChat are the guys who do the maintenance, figure out how to do it or do it better and publish. And, Two, guys who find a problem, engineer a fix, manufacture it, and stand up for it.

my thanks,
    chris