Volvo 1800 | FerrariChat

Volvo 1800

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Daytona Drew, Mar 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytona Drew

Daytona Drew Karting

Feb 12, 2007
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #1 Daytona Drew, Mar 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just as people must come to grips with substance abuse or their other personal demons, I must come out of my own closet: I have a thing for Swedish cars. One car I have had an affinity for since my teens is the Volvo 1800 series sport coupe. It is a handsome, but compact, vehicle that is understated and quite affordable compared to the likes of the prominent Jags and Astons. While I have checked out a few in the past, I am not a seasoned vet of the 1800 scene and would appreciate any insight from folks out there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. hd4meat

hd4meat Rookie

Apr 23, 2005
    SF/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    HD
  3. Daytona Drew

Daytona Drew Karting

Feb 12, 2007
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
  4. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    i too have an affinity for swede speed. probably because my first car was a volvo, and while it went through about 3 crashes [the last one totalled it], it saved my life [one of them was a minor fender bender, one was straight into the back of na SUV, and the last was a rollover]...i also rather like the K'segg.

btw, it's beautiful! [the 1800]:D

5. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I know of a fantastic white on black 1800 for sale if anyone is interested.

6. Daytona Drew

Daytona Drew Karting

Feb 12, 2007
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yeah, but I'm guessing it's in Oregon.

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Excellent taste. Even Colin Powell relaxes by restoring Volvos.
    Volovos are a sign of quiet good breeding.
    :)

8. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I have always loved the P1800.
    They remind me of a karmann ghia,
    Which I also love.
    The P1800 looks very 50's,60's european. Almost ferrari like. Very cool

9. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I'm actually a big fan of the Bricks - 700/900 series cars. I just love them!

Did you know that the highest mileage car in the world is an 1800?

10. TurboTodd

TurboTodd Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    There is an 1800 sitting in my mom's garage.. Father brought it home when I was 13 or 14.. It was a project that the owner abandoned. Car is disassembled, looks like a barn find now. It's still sitting there 25 years later.

11. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    The best looking Volvo, ever.

Darrell.

12. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #12 Cicada, Mar 6, 2007
  13. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Funny you should say that it reminds you of the Ghia.

The first prototype of the 1800 was taken to Karmann in hopes of getting it built there, but VW, who happened to be Karmann's top customer, threatened to go elsewhere if they did.

so the 1800 struggled to get off the ground, until they finally got some support from auto manuf. Jensen.

14. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Haha yes it is, good guess. If you ever become interested just let me know.

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Anyone seen a GOOD 1800 lately? Like '60s Brit sports cars they seen to have been uniformly neglected. A nice original of high quality restoration would be nice to see. Same applies to the Sonett.

16. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    #16 Webby, Mar 6, 2007
    I'm determined to have either an 1800 or a 122S as my first car. Like you said, very affordable, but at the same time very reliable, very good looking, and very fun to drive. One of my professors had one and he's the one who actually introduced me to the 1800 and told me that I should look into one for a first car. Anyways I made a few threads about them about a year ago. People suggested that the main problem you should check for is rust. I found a really really nice 1800 for sale in California, I'm sure it was sold by now but it was in excellent condition, and very cheap too, only asking $6900. If only I had the money then, I would have snapped it up. Well, good luck getting one! And wish me the same.

17. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    #17 Webby, Mar 6, 2007
    This one looks good to me. Owner seemed honest, told me that it had been a daily driver for years, entire thing restored and rebuilt, minimal rust, sanded and repainted to match the original color, seats rebuilt, new windshield, new rubber seals around the doors/windows, fixed rear defroster, hardly any problems. Carpet and stainless steel trim and door panels could use some work if you wanted a show car but other than that in great condition. This car was really a jewel, I wish I could've afforded it. Was a lot cheaper than many others I saw too.

18. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Can we see some pictures? I hopefully have a good project that will bring in some money. I have no hope of buying a car now but maybe within a year or two. Probably too far away (time-wise, distance wouldn't hold me back, I'd fly out to Oregon and drive it back home if I could afford it) but any opportunity to see pics of these beautiful cars is welcome :)

19. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #19 Horsefly, Mar 6, 2007
    As I've posted before, they look VERY Ferrari like. Take a quick look at this photo and see which one is the Ferrari versus the Volvo 1800?

I have a ratty 1962 P1800 that I rescued from a friend for $400. Kids broke out all the glass. (For $800, I got the Volvo and a '69 Porsche 912 that received the same "customizing" from the kids.) I saved it before they got to the dash. It supposedly runs, but I haven't had the time to work on it.

20. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Nice car. what was the guy asking for it?

21. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Only $6,900 ... most other comparable ones were around $13,000

22. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

If the inside is as good as the outside looks like a deal. Why did they take the pics in the dark, thats strange.

23. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    I had a 71 1800e that I drove everyday for a couple of years. Very solid cars and fun to drive especially if you resist the temptation to upsize the original 165/15 tires. You can drift it around at speeds not likely to get you thrown in jail. Not particularly fast, but if you can supercharge them or swap in the volvo 16 valve.
    Rust is the biggest problem as the mechanical part is basically bullet-proof. A little hard to see out of too if you aren't tall. The only recurrent mechanical issue was a banging from the transmission on the tunnel-fixable by using the 164 mounts instead of the 1800 ones. Parts are easy to get and lots of stuff is very easy DIY.
    Vey nice car-I wish I had mine still.
    check out volvo sports america club www.vsa.org for more info...

24. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    #24 Tony Fuisz, Mar 6, 2007
  25. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yes definitely, I will take some tomorrow morning and hopefully post them by evening. I am good friends with the owner, but the owner is a vintage sports car dealer, I hope this doesn't infringe on any rules, does it? I have no direct conection to the sale and if it did sell I wouldn't make any money, but I don't want to break any rules; so please let me know if I am.