Sky broadband. | FerrariChat

Sky broadband.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Fan512bbi, Mar 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Does any one use skys broadband service? i am currently with AOL and find their services rubbish, i have had a letter from sky informing me that their broadband services are in my area so i would be interested in anyone who use them to let me know their views.

2. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Steve - I can't help you with Sky (I'm on Tiscali and I have no problems) but AOL is awful and always has been. My dad is trying to rid his system of it and move onto Tiscali & it is a right PITA.

There are some great offers out there, I got offered this a few weeks back and I should really get to work on taking it up

Line Rental
    Up to 8mb Broadband
    Free 24/7 phone calls to UK 01 + 02 numbers
    Free calls to 30 mainland countries worldwide

That lot for £20.99 a month from Talk Talk, 18 month contract...

3. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    AOL is slang for the Black Death - about as easy to get rid of.

I am always sceptical of a broadband provider that supplies you with a CD, all you normally need is a username and password.

I would go direct with BT as they own the wires (maybe Cable & Wireless or cable TV company too).

Friend of mine spent 3 months talking to talktalk to sort her line fault out.

4. alsaautomotive

alsaautomotive Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2005
    Wales, UK.
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm with BT, excellent service but we're on our 4th modem in a year.

5. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I went onto sky last weekend. I've taken the mid package at £5 per month. Speed is up to 8 so I max out at about 3.5 due to local line restriction. seems fast enough. Plenty of download capacity as well. comes with a free wireless router which is identical to the Netgear one I bought for £100. Only issue at the moment is that my laptop seems to drop the connection over wireless. I have a second PC on wireless whihc has been fine so i assume that my laptop problems is with it rather than the router.

6. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Chers guys the info helps a lot, i guess i will take a look at all the providers that you have mentioned.

7. johnish

johnish Karting

Jun 21, 2004
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Isherwood
    I was with NTL on 10MB cable broadband, at £34.99 a month. I have just moved to SKY, and after we had found out from them that I had to have the router connected directly to the BT box (in the loft) and use a long ethernet cable to the PC, I now have excellent service, faster than NTL, for £10 a month.

8. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Thank you mate i am going to give them a go, they quoted me at £5 a month but i am having problems getting rid of AOL :(

9. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I also had problems geting off Orange. At the end of the day I had to give 30 days notice, a term they introduced after I had signed up, and then they needed 10 days to get the line off LLU (Sky could not take control until this was done so no PAC could help). Then Sky needed a couple of weeks. So it took nearly two months in total. Just as well my neighbours did not have security on their wireless broadband ;) .

£5 pm is the mid package which I am on.

10. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I am having the same probs mate, i have been with AOL for 3 years now but they still insist that i am under a contract with them and are reluctant to remove any markers off my line :(

11. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    This type of thing just makes you more eager to leave them never to return.

12. johnish

johnish Karting

Jun 21, 2004
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Isherwood
    My change over took a month, but the two services overlapped by two weeks, so I was never with service, except for the few teething troubles with SKY for the first three days.

13. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I could be wrong but I don't think it is possible for two services to overlap as one provider needs to release teh line before another can access it. I believe the changeover can take as little as a half an hour to two hours which may occur during the night so it would appear to be seamless. For this to happen you need to get a MAC code from the existing provider and pass it onto the new provider.

BTW does anyone know the standard password when you need to acess the Sky router. I woudl like to change the channel mine broadcasts on.

14. martinp

martinp Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Nr Ludlow, Shrops UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Phillips
    I'm in the same position with AOL and thinking of going to Sky

I have been told by IT pros that they are the hardest to get out of

At a personal level I phoned and requested my MAC number and was promised it in 30 days - nothing!!!! 2 months ago

I'm going to repeat the request - in writing, a contract termination notice with a copy to Ofcom

15. Gemm

Gemm Formula 3

Aug 19, 2005
    Essex, England
    Talking of broadband, TalkTalk keeps on phoning me about their special offers. I've read that their customer service is terrible and their connection can be slow and unreliable. Does anyone have any experience with them??

16. johnish

johnish Karting

Jun 21, 2004
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Isherwood
    I changed from Cable to a BT line, so I could overlap.

Each router comes with a different password, usually onm a little card with the unit.

17. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Had 6 months of hassle with Orange, their tech support in India is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.The have given me the last 5 moths free because of all the problems, which is due to run out at the end of March and I think I am going to change to Sky, got my MAC code from Orange within a couple of days.

18. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    This is what Talk Talk have offered me (see post #2 in this thread)

Line Rental
    Up to 8mb Broadband
    Free 24/7 phone calls to UK 01 + 02 numbers
    Free calls to 30 mainland countries worldwide
    £20.99 a month, 18 month contract...

It sounds like a great deal but I am hesititating for the same reasons that you have given.

19. mac355gts

mac355gts Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    London/Kent U.K
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I have just recently moved to Sky on my flat.
    No problems at all , speed is pretty good and as I subscribe to the sport channel on sky it cost me absolutely nothing!!!.
    In my case it was a no-brainer, a free wireless modem and free access.....

20. mac355gts

mac355gts Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    London/Kent U.K
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I have just recently moved to Sky on my flat.
    No problems at all , speed is pretty good and as I subscribe to the sport channel on sky it cost me absolutely nothing!!!.
    In my case it was a no-brainer, a free wireless modem and free access.....

21. Gemm

Gemm Formula 3

Aug 19, 2005
    Essex, England
    Sorry, I missed that reply. ;)

Mine's similar but I think it was £19.99 with 30 day trial as well. I initially thought I'd have nothing to lose if I could terminate the deal after 30 days but I've heard that it can takes weeks for them to release the MAC code, and that put me off.

22. Tubi

Tubi Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Athens
    Full Name:
    Hari
  23. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
  24. martinp

martinp Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Nr Ludlow, Shrops UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Phillips
    Actually managed to get a MAC code out of AOL today.

You could get yourself a better deal without moving
    I'm amazed how well trained to resist your departure their monkeys on their phones are. It will cost you time and patience, lots and lots of patience.

First, I asked him why they were overcharging me £17.99 for a service which is currently sold at £14.99, what about a refund? no answer but an offer to adjust price to £14.99.

Then I asked why they didn't issue a MAC on first request in February and pointed out that they were in breach of their licence with OFCOM to supply service (they must do this within 7 days)

Finally told him that someone else was going to pay for my ISP service, and it didn't matter what the cost was.

His final roll of the dice was to offer me the "Platinum" service (£29.99) for what I was paying (£17.99)

Even if you don't want to move , you should put the screws on.

GRRR!

25. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Good advice mate i will give it a go.