X-Terra not trail rated? | FerrariChat

X-Terra not trail rated?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, May 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Just FYI out there:

Went with a friend of mine who is looking at a new SUV. He looked at a Jeep Cherokee and a Nissan X-Terra. Jeep sales guy cautioned against the Nissan as it isn't trail rated. Said Jeeps are the only trail rated SUVs. That's a shame, too, because Consumer Reports gave the Nissan decent reviews, but failed to disclose it wasn't trail rated.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

2. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    What did the Jeep Salesman say was the definition of "Trail Rated"? If Jeeps are the only SUVs trail rated, and it's a Jeep Salesman saying it... I'd be taking it with a grain of salt until I could get the truth of it sorted out.

I've heard of that term before, but I've never actually heard what it really means in terms of what the vehicle is capable of.

3. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How does the saying go: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. ;)

4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Well, according to the Jeep salesman, only Jeeps are truly trail-rated. Another SUV might work OK, but they haven't necessarily been through the same "rigors" as the Jeeps. It's really more of a public service on behalf of Jeep more than anything else.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    #5 Lloyd, May 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    IMO, take whatever a Jeep salesman (or ANY salesman) says with a massive grain of salt.

What is "trail rated"? Who comes up with the rating - what administrative body? Who adminsters the test?

I bet he doesn't know, or doesn't wanna say. It's probably made by Jeep, run by Jeep, decided by Jeep.

I would seriously doubt whether the Jeep can hang with a Land Rover, Range Rover, or Land Cruiser in terms of off road capability. Maybe they can in some tests, but go to Africa and see what they are driving in the deserts (besides camels, I mean)

7. azheman

azheman Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I think the "Trail Rating" is done by Jeep themselves. Therefore, only Jeeps can be "Trail Rated." This rating may be a tad biased...

8. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    I drive an '01 Xterra currently and it's probably just as capable off-road as any of my previous 3 Jeep Cherokees.

Ask the Jeep salesman to demonstrate this "trail ready" rating by taking you on an off-road excursion :D . See if he'll let you test drive one of his Jeeps off-road, so you can discover what "trail ready" is/does/means or whatever.

9. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona

It is. Those things are bad ass off-road. I was surprised at their performance.

10. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just went out and looked at my '06 Grand Cherokee. It doesn't appear to have the Trail Rated badges anywhere. Does this mean that my Jeep shouldn't be taken off road??? If that's the case, I'm going to be seriously pissed at my salesman. He told me that this thing would go anywhere I needed.

11. kovachian

kovachian Karting

Jun 27, 2006
    central Indiana
    Full Name:
    Ron
    "Trail Rated" is just Jeep's own marketing propaganda. Next time you see that salesman be sure to b***h-smack his ass into last week.

12. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So am I ok to take my Jeep off road this weekend? I was planning a camping trip but don't want to risk anything.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Oh man. Not this **** again. ;)

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1. Give me an LR Defender 90 or a Wrangler. FWIW, I doubt any of these unibody vehicles - including Jeep's pathetic Compass - are up to a real slog through the brush.

Yes, then you will be Jail Rated.

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Here's some still shots from the 1962 movie "Hatari" that was shot in Africa.
    I don't see any Toyotas, but I do see several Jeeps.

http://thefcconnection.com/FC%20To%20The%20Rescue.htm

http://thefcconnection.com/Dually%20Chasing%20A%20Rhino.htm

16. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Just saw a commercial for the Jeep Cherokee, the screen flashed....

Trail Rated (R) Cherokee

I noticed the little R with the circle around it.......

So, its definately a "registered trademark" of Jeep, and the Jeep salesman was definately B*llsh*ting you.

James in Denver

17. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Yeah really. This is close to a GMC salesman telling me that 1 in 10 GM SUVs are perfect, down to the finest details including stitching. The other 9 become Chevy's, the 1 becomes the GMC. I was virtually in tears laughing.

Jeep's been doing the Trail Rated gimick for a few years now. So wait...are CJs, TJs, and YJs that all came prior to this rating system not Trail Rated then?

18. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Does this qualify as trolling??? ;)
    zzzzzzzzzzzz

19. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    SNAKE, to answer your question, if your Jeep doesn't have the badging on it, then it's not trail rated. It could have been a mistake - might be worth calling the dealer for, but I doubt it's trail rated.

I'm not saying that an X-Terra isn't capable of off-road, it's just not trail rated.

20. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I think you're missing the point. "Trail Rated" is a fanciful marketing distinction completely fabricated by Jeep. Its like saying that only Jeeps are "Jeep Rated".

If Lotus begins calling the Elise "track-rated", is any non-Lotus therefore not optimal for track use, simply because it not "track-rated"?

The distinction is precisely that arbitrary.

21. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I called my salesman this morning to ask about the missing badges. He assured me that my Jeep is still Trail Rated, but now I'm a bit worried that he just doesn't want any hassles from me since the sale is complete.

22. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Andy, not according to the Jeep people. The guy told us Jeep did this because other SUV makers weren't telling customers that their vehicles weren't trail-rated, and Jeep felt a responsibility to let people know which peoples' SUVs were, and were not trail rated.

23. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Did he actually say it will take you anywhere you need to go?

Verbal contracts are binding. Should you need to go to the bottom of a 20' deep lake, and should the Jeep not get you there (and back), I presume the dealership will furnish you with a new Jeep? Perhaps an overtly trail-rated one, this time?

24. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I believe that he said it "should take me anywhere I need to go." I'm not really thrilled about not having the Trail Rated badges on my Jeep. I'm afraid this will kill my resale value down the road.

25. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL