Who is Secretive about their Ferrari Ownership? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Who is Secretive about their Ferrari Ownership?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by VTChris, May 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #51 Wade, May 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dang! I hate it when I typo something... How do you edit these posts anyway?

Nevermind

But hey, my daily commute was in a beater with this magnetic bumper sticker on it
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Douge

Douge Karting

Apr 22, 2006
    I am a janitor. God help me if I ever get seen by any of my clients in an F-car.

I hate to do it, but even with M3, C55 and Corvette I kept that stuff on the DL cause they all think they paid for the whole car out of their monthly fees.

I would think they would appreciate a hardworking successful person but some people just have to go negative.

3. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    +1

4. Ferrari_lvr

Ferrari_lvr Formula Junior

May 28, 2006
    LMAO!!

I'd be the one coming over and kissin' @$$ to ride in it.

5. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I try to limit the number of people that know about my car. I always cringe when someone I've told about my car spreads the word to other people about it.

As you can see in the video link in this fchat post, not everyone is thrilled about seeing someone driving a foreign sports car:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136703282&postcount=1

6. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    +2

7. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Anyone who goes around telling people they own/drive a Ferrari is a ***got.... best to just be low key about it and let people find out on their own unless they directly ask you what you drive, then you can humbly answer if you choose to.

For the single guys out there, if you are in a bar/nightclub and talking to a chick. If she wants to know what you drive and you want her to know, tell her very sarcastically you drive a Yugo and it's pretty sweet. She will stalk you the rest of the night until she finds out the real answer... when she sees herself and realizes that you didn't flaunt it she will be wanting you to show her something else.... :eek:

8. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    you are on a roll...

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    How about when they can't stop telling everybody? Even worse! Cars shouldn't define people.

10. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Don't have an F-car yet. But virtually everyone who knows me, knows that I'm a certifiable Ferrari nut. They've seen my art/scale model and book collections. I've been asked by friends/neighbors and co-workers WHEN will I ever get one? Kind of like they're rooting for me. Or maybe they just want me to put up or shut up about it. Hard to tell. I've been on this quest too long as it is. Now I have to deal with all this "pressure" to get one? Gee, if I could... I would.

Not sure what I will do if I ever do get one. Would be a very hard secret to keep.

11. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    If you own a Ferrari but you have to sneak around with it, denying its existence, even by omission, fearful of what others may think of you, is simply pathetic IMO.
    You bought it! Use it for heaven's sake! Unless you stole it or did something else illegal to get the means to buy a Ferrari you may as well be proud of it and use it like any other car. Otherwise buy a Buick Century and then no-one will notice or care what you drive.

12. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes agreed, but sneaking around in it and simply not advertising it are two different things.

13. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    Agree with John I park in an underground parking lot first time I took the TR to work within ten minutes people were coming by to comment they have gotten over it so its pretty much a non subject other than between car guys.

14. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I tell everyone that I don't own a Ferrari. If they only knew what my garage really looks like... ;)

15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    +1 for Martin.

I just treat my 328 like a normal car. After a bit of early snarkiness it's all worn off at work. After people see it on a regular basis for years, there's just not any room in the conversations about it anymore.

There are a couple of 'closet' Ferrari enthusiasts up at work, and they've both had an opportunity to drive my 328. I'm sort of a pusher when it comes to Ferrari ownership -- if someone's legitimately enthusiastic, I'll happily talk Fcars and give rides and such.

I don't bring up Fcars to random folk I meet. If pressed, I say I own a V8 FIAT -- that's close enough :D

16. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have to chuckle about your Buick comment. Around here Buicks are known to be driven mostly by geezers and blue haired little old ladies. If I ever give up the F-car for a Buick, bet on it being rosso/tan. Ouch!

17. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I have a Red tan 360 spider, but PLEASE don't tell Karim ! (Racer98)

He will tell everyone !

Regards,

Stew

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It depends......

Everyone knows about the yellow one as it was published in Cavallino, then the blue one doesn't get out as much, but I told a few folks it was the yellow one, repainted!

Then the yellow one went back out on the road....

I tell folks the red one is just a loaner from the Dealership, while they fix the other two.....

So far, NOBODY has deciphered the confusion!! LOL!

So I guess I am being secretive about the red one, except with my padners on here!

It's true I have not been driving them casually so much anymore....traffic here is now filled with uninsured immigrants, and let's see my new Toyota work truck has taken FOUR gravel cracks to the windshield, since September!

There's no point in tearing up a good car just to get to the office........

Art Car #192 in the Parade next Saturday.....120,000 people willl be in on the story,....ROTFLMAO!

19. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    I enjoy showing off my Ferrari to people who don't like me, such as my ex wife.

20. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    My Ferrari ownership is not public. The only people who know about it are those with access to the Internet. :) :)

21. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    How about this one!!!

Last Saturday i was negotiating a deal on a 430 from Motor Cars intl., Emailed back and forth about 4 times. Then the nuts and bolts of the deal were about finalized. I completely spelled everything out on this email, that is, what i was getting, exactly how much i was giving, the understanding that the TR he got from me he made a killing on....etc. etc. etc..Fired off the email!!!

about 2hours later, anxious to hear his reply, i went to check my email. Much to my suprise I had a reply from my email however it wasnt from Motor Cars!! It was from one of my larger accounts i do business with!!!! He fowards....I think this was sent to me by accident.

Wholly S**t.....My stomach dropped!!! Instantly my mind went into damage control...what to do. Send an OOOPS email? YIKES...

Decided...not to do anything hopefully just let it die!!

However, i did conceive an aliby!! So if any of you are intersted, Me and another partner has an Exotic car dealership, we buy and sell high end cars on the side...Thats my story and im stickin too it!!!!

But to answer the original thread, i keep my personal stuff personal.. Friends and family are the exception. Business associates, employees, vendors... dont need to know.

22. bwiele

bwiele Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    West Harrison, NY
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've taken the approach of not hiding it, but definitely not flaunting it. I have only told guys at work that are car guys themselves (small group, and one of them is the reason I bought the car in the first place). I have 4 siblings, and I've only told one about it (he would "understand"), haven't told my father, some of my in-laws saw it when they came for Easter.

I think being humble about it when a stranger asks about it is the right thing to do. A guy at a gas station (middle-age, dressed in a suit on a weekend) was definitely looking it over very closely, I made eye contact with him and smiled, signaling it was ok. He came over and looked it over, asked how much it cost, which I answered in general terms. And then I took the posture of being in awe of what a great performing car it is (which wasn't play acting) but not in a bragging way. I didn't engineer it after all!

Be discreet and have humility - it's harder for people to criticize then, even if there are undertones of jealousy. But hide it? I think NOT!!!

23. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

Now it's a 430?

You are an exotic car dealer :D
    You switch cars like........ya know :)

24. cforg308

cforg308 Karting

Nov 16, 2004
    Stroudsburg PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I live in a town where there are no secrets. I just go out for a drive & i'll talk to one of my customers or a friend & they'll always tell me they saw me out in the ferrari. I don't come right & tell everybody though.

25. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    I know!!!!

IT IS A STRADALE!!!!

It alsmost was a 430...It almost was a 360..

But it is official!!! Money already given...Title already received...
    IT IS A STRADALE!! GIALLO