USA FERRARI F40 | FerrariChat

USA FERRARI F40

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by joe sackey, Jul 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #1 joe sackey, Jul 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The word Ive received is that the development of the USA specification Ferrari F40 Series set the factory back approximately $12 million and resulted in a car unique in specification for the United States showing Ferrari SpA's comittment to its major marketplace. Double-skinned aluminum fuel tanks aside, a plethora of modifications from the European cars were bestowed upon the USA car and although 213 is the official import number, more exist notwithstanding prototypes and sacrificed units.

I am trying to document the the story of the USA version's actual development & production, and its complete spec. The reason is there has been some confusion and speculation in this area. More on that to follow and meanwhile lets celebrate Enzo Ferrari's Swan Song...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Thanks Joe, great post, was that your previous car?

3. x8664amd

x8664amd Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2006
    What are those plastic bits around the front and the back bumper?
    It looks so much better without them on the Euro version F40

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Current.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    They distinguish the USA cars and I actually think the nose of the USA car has a darker, angrier and thus more agressive disposition because of the black trim.
    BTW, the trim was actually styled by Fioravanti to meet the laughable USA-mandated bumper requirements. I like it better than the Euro cars which seem a bit 'naked' without them but maybe its because living in the USA Ive had a staple diet of USA cars!

I am talking to at least one person who was actually a participant for Ferrari's development of the USA F40 and already some interesting information has been disclosed. Stay tuned.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #6 joe sackey, Jul 6, 2007
    Aggressive.

This view of the USA F40 is one that strikes fear in the hearts of motorists when seen in their rear view mirrors.

Flashing the driving lamps will cause the car ahead to move over quicker than than the sight of any other fast-approaching sports car.... with a 'Whoosh', a lick of flames and a crackle, the F40 flashing past and dissapearing ahead keeps the encounter breif but not forgotten for a long time.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Joe, is this your second one? When did you pick this one up?

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Second one. Recently.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

9. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    looks beautiful Joe, congrats.

Menacing is the word that comes to mind when viewing the F40 coming up in the rear view mirror.....

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thanks Jas. I have some great images of your car Im sure youve never seen (from Cavallino, Kentucky registered "F40"). I will post them soon.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Joe the guy who worked for FNA who drove almost all the new USA market F40 models when they were delivered to NJ might have some interesting info. I think he was trying to sell a yellow F40 at one time. I don't have his name handy here. One F40 was sold in Europe but was delivered as USA spec. What does your guy say about the F40 'ecological' model?
    As with all your cars the F40 is beautifully presented. Nice shots!
    CH

12. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    ok the upper black plastic bit is a supposed bumper, but whats with the bigger bit of plastic at bottom of the front ?

its a bit of a paradox this fascination with USA spec cars isnt it joe :p
    dont you find it clashes with with your love of "as the factory intended"
    as all the mods done (on various cars) for the USA seem to involve changes to the purity of design etc.

gr8 pics btw - as always

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Actually, several USA F40s were never even delivered to the USA and they are over and above the 213 that were. Several more were also 'sacrificed' to testing and crash testing.

In 1988 Ferrari SpA gave FNA 2 F40s to develop as a USA series car. They ran into lots of issues and ended up sending the development operation back to the factory for continued development which the USA rep tells me is the way it should have been done in the first place. Im speaking to him about the eco car and should have complete info later.

Thanks for the compliments.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    In wind tunnel testing Ferrari SpA found that the upper bumper strip needed to be counterbalanced with a lower ground-effects spoiler.

I love USA Series cars for 2 reasons:
    1. I live in the USA.
    2. They tend to be limited-series cars that the factory has invested a lot of time and effort (not to mention engineering) in producing to high safety standards.
    Generally speaking these cars remain as built by the factory and are thus as the factory intended.

Thanks for reading Chaos.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

15. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    you learn something new everyday

im not so sure joe.
    these are modifications forced upon the factory by one countries government legislation and as such arent really as the factory wanted them to be

but thats semantics maybe.

whether i agree with your conclusions or not (and i usually do) i always find your posts informative, interesting and most of all passionate.

ScottS likes this.
  16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Joe you seem to have a knack for digging up lost 'car history' for various brands. Good luck at the 'dig'.
    I remembered the USA spec F40 sold in Europe was a 1991 model that eventually made it's way to the USA. Like many F40 models it is tucked away today in a nice collection. Looking forward to the next chapter!
    CH

ScottS likes this.
  17. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Chaos,

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that Joe's post's are all that you say they are - and more!

However, the UK F-40 does have the proper racing car fuel tanks and not the aluminum American variants. However, the UK and Euro versions require their tanks to be changed every ten years, the cost of which is by no means insubstantial - approaching eighteen thousand dollars. My preference of course would be for the American tanks that seemingly have an indefinite life.

I prefer the frontal look of my UK car but I suspect that is only through reasons of familiarity and I had no idea whatsoever there was a difference in the aesthetics until Joe placed the images of his Wonder Car for us all to admire and covet. If I knew how to post images of my own car I would gladly do so, but regretfully my skills are insufficient to do so.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

ScottS likes this.
  18. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Chaos,

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that Joe's post's are all that you say they are - and more!

However, the UK F-40 does have the proper racing car fuel tanks and not the aluminum American variants. However, the UK and Euro versions require their tanks to be changed every ten years, the cost of which is by no means insubstantial - approaching eighteen thousand dollars. My preference of course would be for the American tanks that seemingly have an indefinite life.

I prefer the front of my UK car but I suspect that is only through reasons of familiarity and had no idea whatsoever there was a difference in the aesthetics until Joe placed the images of his Wonder Car for us all to admire and covet. If I knew how to post images of my own car I would gladly do so, but regretfully my skills are insufficient to do so.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

19. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    Dear Comrade

If I knew how to post images of my own car I would gladly do so, but regretfully my skills are insufficient to do so.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are[/QUOTE]

Send them to Joe, He'll post them for you. I have the same malidy. Other's have posted my Ferrari pics. He's posted my ex-Countach in the past.

Send him a front shot so we may compare, hell, with you in the pic as well...

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Your unending passion is very much appreciated.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

ScottS likes this.
  21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    There was at least one USA-spec F40 in attendance at Maranello's 60th Annivesario in Italy.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

ScottS likes this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #22 joe sackey, Jul 8, 2007

Carinxs, Im always happy to oblige. Let me know whatever I can do for you...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

PS - Here are some images courtesy of John Burrow.

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Graham,

We all deserve to see images of your "perfect timewarp" European F40. We shall stand by in anticipation.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #24 joe sackey, Jul 8, 2007
  25. joe sackey