Fake BB- could fool many | FerrariChat

Fake BB- could fool many

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by J.P.Sarti, Jul 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Agreed -- not bad!

History will remember mighty Fiero as the donor chassis of choice. 5 years from now there will be more replicas on the road than actuals!

2. Valence

Valence Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris& Brian Coffing
    As usual the initial giveaway is the over-abundance of Ferrari badges. Pathetic. The knock off 355 tunnel and dash are a hoot, too.

3. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    i guess if you wanted only purely the look, that would be the one. it looks stunning. and is probably more reliable than a real BB. but you'll never get the real feeling and spirit of the original. but i must say that copy is fantastic looking. in and out. just lose some of the cheesy overuse of ferrari logos everywhere.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That is definitely the best Fiero-based replica I have ever seen. That's really not much of a compliment, however. The rear quarter windows let it down, which is probably unavoidable due to the Fiero donor car.

I wonder how much it cost to build?

I googled the builder, Corson Motorcar Co., but they don't seem to have a website.

5. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    Would be cool on 328 chassis

6. CanuckCarguy

CanuckCarguy Rookie

Jul 20, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't know these cars at all, so I'd be easily fooled, but the dead giveaway to me has to be the GM signal light / wiper control off the steering column.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The whole interior is a giveaway, actually.

8. GWB

GWB Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Gavin Britz
    I agree, so whenever you buy a old vintage one, you are going to have to be very carefull as they can say it was restored. I do not know why someone would even want to buy a fake car. Are those the same people that wear fake watches ? Do they associate themselves with fake ?

9. CanuckCarguy

CanuckCarguy Rookie

Jul 20, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, they do say imitation is the highest form of flattery, so I guess it's sort of understandable why somebody would want to buy the fake one... the only thing that bugs me is all the people who ask me if my TR is real or a kit car.

I told one guy it was a kit car, and he asked if it was expensive to convert. I told him the body mods weren't too expensive, but the Ferrari drivetrain cost me a fortune...

I'm not sure he really got it, but I sure had a chuckle.

I just remind myself that nobody's out there trying to make a fake Fiero out of their Ferrari...

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    wonder what the service on it would be ;)

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It's all out of proportion...Too tall, too narrow and way not long enough. Other than that, it's perfect :)

12. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
  13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    There is at least 1 out there. The car blew the engine, and was tsold. The guy who bought it was planning to build a fiero based kit, but saw the ferrari body/chassis for sale for less than the kit price and bought it. He then fitted the fiero engine and is quite proud of himself.....there was thread a while back, do a search.

14. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    you must be joking ?

15. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #16 350HPMondial, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Mike,

So, , he put a Fiero dashboard in his 512bbi with a blown engine...... NOT!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    That kit definitely has some of the best proportions I've seen so far... pretty close to the actual thing.

17. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Looks like they used a real F355 dash and console, I like the 512BB owners manual for added authenticity.

I really doubt the owner would admit it was a fake to some cute girl asking about the car or someone who had no clue

18. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Gotta love the "gear-delete" option on the gated shifter.

19. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    It IS pretty good, although I can see wrong proportions in length, width and height, but there's way too many Ferrari emblems and Daytona seats would've added a WHOLE lot to that interior, still I wonder, why hot buy a REAL 308 instead?

20. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    You guys have to be kidding me. You think that car looks good and it looks real? Come on! It looks like a midget car!

21. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Looking at the car from the side, the rear end is short and stubby, as though there is no way a flat 12 is stuffed under that bonnet. Looks all wrong. But you are right, this would fool most who do not know Berlinetta Boxers.

I still don't understand how they(kit car builders) can make a Diablo replica that is so exact, capable of fooling Jay Leno, but cannot make a Ferrari right if their lives depended on it. And I only give exception to that 360 kit thread floating around on Fchat.

22. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    ferraris are more subtle and complex a form than the diablo. harder to recreate properly.

23. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    if i saw that car passing on the street i'd never know it was fake unless i were able to fully scrutinize the engine sound. but visually it has me fooled. to an aficionado, no, they'd know it was fake --but i doubt immediately.

24. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Corson was a big deal in the early 90's and was featured in all of the Kit Car magazines. They weren't cheap either. When I was a kid I dreamed of owning a Corson kit car but then realized I could buy a real thing. They also made a convertible Boxer kit which looked fantastic. I think I still have the magazine, let me see if I can find it...