Mondial Center Console Repair | FerrariChat

Mondial Center Console Repair

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by lusso64, Jun 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    #1 lusso64, Jun 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, it was bugging me and the decal was starting to lift off, so I gave it a helping hand. Any idea on what solvent to use to clean all the sticky gunk up? Goof Off doesn't even touch it.

While I have it apart, I am investigating some method of holding the panel flat - see second picture for the warp.

As much as I like the aluminum panel that Russ had made up, I really want to keep the illumination if possible. Maybe I should get a new back panel cut out of polycarbonate?

Anyone been here before?

Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    #2 racespecferrari, Jun 19, 2007
    I have one that I removed from my Mondy which is fine apart from where the previous owner put a small hole in the centre (See yellow arrow) for an alarm led. if its of any use you can have it cheap, if yes I'll dig it out and take some pics.

3. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Pete - some pics would be great. I am sure others will be interested also....

4. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    #4 racespecferrari, Jun 19, 2007
    Heres one I had in my 'Parts removed' pic file. The one major difference I can see is where the 3 aircon pushbutton switches fit it is slightly recessed

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I am on the phone now with the shop I use. They can make a cover using perspex polycarbonate from my dimensions and engrave. The thinnest piece they can do is 2mm. However, they only have clear and red.
    So if anyone has a source of black perspex polycarbonate, 2mm thick, we might could make a replacement backlit cover. It cannot be painted, as that gums up the machine.
    I think we can all work this out. I still like the Aluminum, but feel certain we can gin up a plastic backlight cover. If someone will send me a sample, we'll give it a try.

6. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    #6 lusso64, Jun 19, 2007
    Russ, I'd be interested in clear. Light from underneath would then hit the decal and appear stock. I'd be putting the decal back over it..... I can send you a hi res scan of this panel (pic below) to check measurements against.

Pete, wow... completely different! Mine's a LHD t.... They wouldn't be interchangeable due to the holes for the cig lighter in the steel panel underneath all this.

Dave

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #7 snj5, Jun 19, 2007
    This is cool.
    Send me the length x height -- also a photo of the bottom.
    If all you need are the holes with clear perspex and no engraving this might be pretty inexpensive to prototype - like $75 as compared to normally about double.
    Although a bit more expensive, I can also recess the front for the decal like the original if needed, but will need exact dimensions.
    Here's a draft CAD I'm using to get started

8. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    No problem Dave, Looks like i'll stick it on ebay with my other spares:)

9. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    #9 lusso64, Jun 22, 2007
    Russ,

Here's some intial info...

The plastic base is 176 x 249 x 5mm.

The only required cut-outs at the back are for the 6 switch holes, and these are 1/8" deep. I don't know why this is so, but they are dead on 1/8, and not quite 3.25mm... Each is 25 x 44mm at this depth, and they are centered on the switch holes.

The entire face is recessed by the thickness of the decal - I'm guessing 0.2mm - can't find the micrometer, but if I do, I'll post the thickness. The width of this "lip" is about .9mm. This appears to not be too critical as there is a gap between the decal and the lip anyway.

The ashtray cutout from the front is 4mm deep, leaving only 1mm of material.

I have a hi-res scan of the decal at 300dpi that I have put at http://www.fcarparts.com/images/FACE.jpg if it helps for the exact dimensions. It's 640kb so too large to post here. If you were to print it out at 300dpi then you'd end up with the exact dimensions.

Thanks for all this, Dave

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I'm travelling right now, but will get on this next weekend

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #11 SonomaRik, Aug 10, 2007
    Dave;
    Speaking of getting into the center console area have you ever gotten into this red area: have a SERIOUS issue with frontal bezel detaching from the back plate, where it is back screwed on....looks like I have to jerk out all the seats, and center console to get to this area. Can't just reach behind.

rik

12. nautigirl

nautigirl Karting

Feb 26, 2007
    Hermosa Beach
    Full Name:
    crash
    I am interested in the same plate that Dave requires. My top decal is in worse shape than the plate below. Any leads on replacing the transparent top decal?

thanks

crash

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    update -
    I am about ready to prototype a clear perspex center plate. The last challenge is getting the slots for the lighting fixtures correct - it turned out to be (as usual) more complicated.
    If some one could verify the similarities between models, that would be great to know.

So who wants to test?

14. AML355

AML355 Karting

Dec 11, 2004
    All:

I too am in need of a center plate...I have an 89 T that I just got a few weeks ago and needs a little TLC (I'll put a list on later today). The center plate I need matches that which Dave posted above on 6/19/07. I'd like to keep it so they can be lit-up as well. If one can be made that truly matches I am happy to particpate. I guess no one has had any luck getting one from Ferrari....

Andy

15. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Russ, I have never gone back there, and don't particularly want to :) I know it is really difficult.

I would imagine it's easier to light the entire panel from below, blacking out certain areas with paint or stick on black plastic vinyl, then it would be to organize for the little clips that the stock lighting uses.

Andy - NLA from Ferrari. First place I tried :)

Crash - no leads on the decal unforunately. Have you seen Russ' aluminum version?

16. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    Make that one more center console plate needed. My plate also matches David's, but is not in as good of condition.

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #17 snj5, Aug 14, 2007
    Yes. with all of these cavity millings ($$$) the cost is getting quite high to accept the specific light bars. However, if you are satisfied with a single clear piece backlighted from below, that is easy - I can simply make the aluminum version in perspex without the graphics and you can use the overlay or maskingto separate out the light. That slashes the cost about by more than half with a tentative delivered price of just over $100. To completely replicate the stock piece in perspex will be $300 or more due to the milling required, with a couple of prototypes to work out the bugs.

Another option would be to get Verell to mold one.

For those of you who do not know, I already have sent out several of the aluminum billet replacements in anodized black with the same original style of multicolor graphics, but you lose the backlighting (but you will never need to replace it due to aging). I think it looks great, ready to go and it's what I use.

Attachments:
    1. simple clear perspex base, ~$100
    2. front and rear center console fascia set in anodized aluminum $260; several finishes available and customizable (shown here in Mondial 3.2)
    3. AND the famous aluminum Mondial cupholder!

I'll work some more on the t perspex version tonight.

18. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I purchased a new one just a few months ago from one of the F-chat sponsors here. It twas expensive, but what the hell.

Anyhow, the only difference from my stock '89 T plate was that the thermo readings are in C not F (which is fine by me). But I think a nice priced replacement piece would be terrific for the masses.

19. lizard1

lizard1 Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    West TX
    Full Name:
    Frank
    would you mind telling us which Fchat sponsor as all the ones I contacted gave me the NLA story - which one did i miss?

thanks!

20. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
  21. AML355

AML355 Karting

Dec 11, 2004
    The pictures of the plates look great. I suppose as long as the switches light up I could survive the plate not being illuminated. Currently, nothing lights up on mine...one of the things that needs to be addressed. At what point will the plates be ready for shipping? And, how easy of an install (and removal of old plate) is it?

Thanks,

Andy

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The Mondial qv and 3.2 aluminum switch plates are available now anytime as they are made individually, and are usually in the mail 2 weeks after the order is made; the same would apply to the perspex. As far as installation, you have to remove the ashtray, a/c knobs and swap. If there are any differences to the t and 348, it would be easy to modify.

Any interest out there in doing the Mondial center a/c vent in anodized aluminum?

23. AML355

AML355 Karting

Dec 11, 2004
    So, I have an '89T which is the 3.4.... Guess that takes a little time yet? I am trying to be as "original" a possible so, while the aluminum is cool, would go for black. Thanks!

24. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The aluminum is black anodized stock as shown in the picture below

25. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    There was a company in SoCal making them.... Hank Garfield has one - very nice, and very expensive :)

I am undecided what to do with the center console. I may just try to fix what I have and focus on other projects. Still, I do think that a replacement as close to original as possible would be great.