512 BBi Resto | Page 8 | FerrariChat

512 BBi Resto

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by markpeboxer, Feb 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Next door to Coco Chinetti????

REALLY?

That's amazing......LOL!

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Looks great Mark, Im jealous and inspired at the same time.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

he was on holly way and i was on cat rock rd in greenwich, ct...super close.

i have a great snow ball throwing story...that involves some young punks (my brohter, jim kane,and me), a rosso rubino daytona, and a chase...lol!

i also have a great halloween story where coco had no real candy for we trick or treaters...but he did have 2 lms (on trailer wheels) and a yellow daytona (michelotti) spyder in the garage for us to crawl all over! better than candy any day!!!

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Pete,

As you already know, I'm also a Greenwich product, but I didn't know we were so near one another. Cat Rock?! I grew up on Burning Tree Rd.! Small world. I still have fond memories of hanging out with family friends over at the Pappalardo's. The standing rule was: if the cars were out, the kids were in. Something about soft aluminum body panels and kids don't mix too well. He also had a nice Scuderia shield in the bottom of the pool. I always wanted to own just one of the cars he had.

Ah, Greenwich. Can't say as I miss it, though.

CW

5. ferraripete

my parents are still there. i lived there until college but despite my roots there and my family still being there...i feel like an outsider when i am home for a visit. it is hard to explain greenwich to those that don't know...exclusive beyond beverly hills...and the residents know it!

i have great memories there and it will always be my home and the place where ferraris entered my blood!

my good friend lean louis laberton still has the le mans 24 hr garage across from duncan doughnuts...only now you don't see the 250's , 275's, and 512's in the service bays anymore...a bit sad actually.

nothing so constant as change!

pcb

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Pete,

My family moved out over 20 years ago. You're exactly right about "fitting in" and the whole bit. I only go back now for an occasional wedding or funeral. Gave up the GCC membership years ago, too, although I am beginning to regret that. I do also have good memories of Jean Louis and Le Mans 24, but I'm not exactly surprised to hear how things have changed. I think it's the same everywhere, and truer words were never spoken. Now, when I walk down the Avenue, I just see new chain stores where the old ones were.

I certainly remember hanging out a Miller Motorcars long before I had a license, and, periodically, taking a run up to Bob Sharp. I never really had an appreciation for what these cars were until I got a bit older, but I certainly became passionate about them. I only met Coco 5 or 6 years ago when I was running in the Challenge series. He's a good friend of one of the drivers (but known to all, undoubtedly). He was reserved but pleasant. Next time I see him, I'll ask him if he remembers the snowball story! Maybe that will get a rise out of him!

CW

7. ferraripete

oh god...i never came clean on the snow ball!

the ave is soooooo different! bruce park sports, rink and racquet (my hockey equipment supply stores!)even the meade store where we got our back to school supplies...memories.

rent is too hight for these stores to sustain themselves...oh yeah...ronnies for levis!

8. ferraripete

oh yes...you should have kept the gcc membership.

btw...we were ryc. no boat currently so not full members anymore.

9. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Don't feel bad about the "snobby" Ferrari guys. This is the absolutely best looking, bad azz Boxer I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me want to sell my Testarossa one day and copy it. I think it's just perfect and you have a great deal of Class, Taste and cool factor!! Congrats! BAD AZZ!! Thanks for sharing the pics..Just love it!!
    Emery

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    We got off topic, more boxer pics please, maybe more underside shots mark?

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #186 BigTex, Aug 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I wouldn't throw that on anyone but you guys......I actually love hearing the memories. :D :D :D :D

Thanks, cw and Pete.......

Coco has a spot in anyone's heart, who understands the importance his family played bringing the cars into the country....Luigi's efforts to sell Mr. G. a 512S for Lemans are priceless.

"It'll only be a little used after the event, still fine...." :rolleyes:

13. ferraripete

good one tex!!!

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    "F--- 'em if they can't take a joke!!!!"

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!! But this work of art is no joke . Mark the car is absolutely fantastic . I'm so glad you finished it in time for the show .I've been harping on this for awhile ...........but you have created a fantastic Boxer and a piece of art as well , in my opinion . I'm glad you left the wheels as you did . Picking out wheels is like picking out a tie.............very personal decision with no right or wrong answer . This car for me raises the bar significantly . Well done .

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im pretty sure he has F40 style wheels in the works (just not ready yet) and the ones on the car are not permanent although I would probably take those ones off his hands for my car if he decided to unload them :).

16. ferraripete

agreed...total new level!!!

17. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    WELL DONE ! aside from the car, I can see you really know how to Live!!!

The Car itself just looks like it handles a whole lot better...

Whats Next??

No Doubt it would go at Barret Jackson for 250 g's

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If it was a nova it might get 250K, I would never throw my ferrari away there until the tides turn that is....and they will!

19. markpeboxer

markpeboxer Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks John,

You're so right about the tie thing. Even though I rarely wear them anymore I have a ton of them, and what’s really scary is I still keep buying them! I just hope my wheels stop at 3 sets.

Was at Carmel on Sunday. Quite the industry line up of big cheese! I kept waiting to hear your name as an honorary judge or something.

The new CTS looks fab in person - congratulations! - And a surprise to see the Cien again – looks very Lambo like. You guys are definitely looking good these days and your work easily holds it’s own in that crowd! That poor Lincoln was looking a little sad.

I hope your launch activities went great and Cadillac continues to reinvent itself and make us all proud.

Not so worried about the Ferrari purists even though I'm a little surprised how rude a few can be. Most Ferrari's I wouldn't change either - there's a few however that might just benefit from a tweak or two. My old boss who's now a big time New York publishing magnet told me once that - The day he officially grew up was the day he know longer cared so much what people thought of him. I think the amount of people that flocked around the car literally all day long speaks for itself.

20. Funinthesun

Funinthesun Rookie

Aug 11, 2007
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Salman
    There are times I guess when people should come clean .. Seeing these pictures I am reminded when I used to see my father's BB cooling its engine through the haze rising from the engine cover after a drive .. It was a magical experience made even more special by having had the pleasure of being allowed to press the accelarator.. In the days before safety conciousness and over eager consumer protection, can u imagine the thrill of a young boy being asked to swing his leg over the centre tunnel and put his young 8 year old foot on the throttle as his father sat in the drivers seat doing 50 miles an hour?

The petrol that flows through my veins was injected (carburetted) that day .. I will never forget the howl of the flat 12 as I pressed my foot onto the accelarator in third. I remember most clearly the induction and then the slow rising of timber as the revs rose making the hair on the nape of my neck stand up .. I am not joking when I say my father, God bless him, had to pull my leg off the throttle .. That picture of an adult driving and his son sitting,standing in the passenger space with a leg thrown over the transsmission tunnel is the "muse" of my auto addiction

May I say in closing thank you from a very personal place for posting this car and the result of your labour of love .. Its really special ... In my eyes that day was born a passion that burns still .. May it burn with you all for many years more

All the Best!!!

21. Smurf

Smurf Formula 3

your car is pure sex...

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Its called jealousy !

Enjoy it in good health !!

23. DinoScuderia

DinoScuderia Karting

Apr 15, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dean

Thank you for the pics.

I am really looking forward to Forza landing in my mailbox even more now :)

24. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hey

This is a really impressive bit of work! As you know I have never been one to shy a way from making something your own, although I do believe that some pieces of history should be left original or brought back to how they were when they did their best work. IMO a Boxer isn't a piece of history so what you've done is fantastic and the important thing is that you've made yourself happy. The rest is bull**** and fades. Having a car that runs cool is always a good thing.

Best and Congratulations!