Haley and Chelle's 04/05/06 project update | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Haley and Chelle's 04/05/06 project update

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Chelle, Mar 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Hi Bill!
    Thanx... it's getting there.. but it's more fun now that it's usable :)

TwinOne thanx :) hopefully we can be around for more drives now

Billwann - we'll PM ya - if you know a better plastic or a better way to do it that would be great. It's a compound curve and we made plaster molds of the shape, but it could always benefit from some fine tuning
    Chelle

2. Mobius Entwine

Mobius Entwine Karting

Jun 9, 2005
    Roscoe, IL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It looks and sounds wonderful! A terrific accomplishment putting it all together!

3. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    OOOHHH MMMYYY GGGOOODDD !!!

4. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Wow, that car looks GOOD! I saw it up in WI last summer, and thought it looked good then. Can't wait to see it again in person!

5. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Thanx Tom and Frank, sorry I hadn't posted a reply - I don't check in or post often enough - too busy working on the car stuff getting ready for the VA show. only one week to go so it's a mad rush :)

Kraig, we look forward to seeing you and your F car as well!

6. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Hey guys,
    Carscoop covered our GTO and now it's linked to all over the net.. lol we found it posted on car sites in 7 different languages so far!!
    here: http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/06/ferrari-250-gto-replica-based-on-nissan.html

They took the three videos and made a nice 34 second compilation of them... much better than I could do (I know nothing about editing video)
    Anyway - ya can see and hear it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf2KN1gqZWc

Any idea what language this one is? My guess was some flavor of Russian, but babelfish wouldn't translate it :(
    http://www.autoweb.sk/autonovinky/tohle-neni-ferrari-gto/articles.html?id=11283

Chelle

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Way Cool! Congrats!!

9. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle

Ahh, Thanx Jim - on both counts! :)

It's kinda neet to find out people are talking about us in other countries, without it involving police or other bad things.. but then you know that better than me!
    lol, everywhere I look is another video or writeup on one of yours, congrats to you too :)

looks like most of the people linking to it are being positive, which is nice too
    Chelle

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i hope you get the black Urraco... then you will have enough stuff to fix the little green one in the corner... :)

GTO looks great! lots of love and work went into that!

11. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Congrats to both of you!!!! My god I love this car I can't wait to see it in person.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #287 tifosi12, Jul 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, I can finally answer this question, since I got my chance behind the steering wheel:

First off, it is not easy to get behind the wheel, there is not much clearance between the race seat's edge and the wheel, but I managed. Once in, you're nicely tucked away and comfortably supported for cornering action. Like a proper race car, the ignition is separated from the steering column. Pressing in the clutch is easy enough: It feels just right, not too hard nor too light, kinda like on my 308 QV.

The gated shifter is very Ferrari like, short, precise and with just the right amount of resistance to "click in" the gear. I had no trouble with the RHD from a shifting perspective, but I can tell that finding the lateral boundaries of the car will take a few hours. But then again I had the same issue when I got my 308. No biggie.

Once 1st is selected, I let go of the clutch and press down on the gas: The car instantaneously lurches forward (Chelle was on the co seat, just in case). I realize the INSANE horsepower at my control how eagerly the car is ready to put it onto the tarmac. There is no way I can control this with my regular shoes on, so off they come. Now again with more feeling. The gas pedal remains VERY responsive and the V12 has easy play with the lightweight car. I hop off my gate as if I'm in my first hour of driving a stick shift wich a clutch. Not a pretty sight and it feels very much like the Superformance Cobra Roush continuation car I drove once in Florida. Chelle tells me, she often launches actually in 2nd gear, good advice.

Then we approach the first stop sign. I hit the brake and nothing happens. Chelle explains there is no power assist and so I move the sofa with my bare foot, at least that's what the resistance feels like. The car does finally stop. Apart from the ultra heavy brakes the rest of the ride feels very comfortable and balanced: Whatever mods were done to the chassis, it seems to cope with the beast under the hood. I have no chance to really go fast, but the car does feel well balanced. Car is actually a bit a misnomer: From the handling, the direct steering, the heavy brakes, the immense power (did I mention how insane that power to weight ratio is?) this is no longer a street car, this is a race car. But then again so was the original, a thinly veiled race car purposely built to win Le Mans and it did after some homologation shenanigans.

Once we got back, I realized, that not once did I look at any of the many gauges: I was simply too absorbed in the driving experience. I can tell getting the hang of this beast would take quite a while, but then there is no stopping. You would win ANY 1/4 mile race and probably a bunch of regular road races as well.

Needless to say that this experience put a huge grin on my face and I tried to pay back the favor with a special gift I gave Haley and Chelle: A bottle of "250 GTO Rosso" from the Rosso museum in San Marino. A public museum of a private collection of all Ferraris 250 xxx including of course a real 250 GTO.

Congrats to the team who built this wonderful hommage!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Clearly an amazing amount of work and the final result is very impressive.

14. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Wow, thanx for the writeup Andreas :)
    We have to get you in the left seat with Haley driving lol, the brakes will get a little better in the next few weeks. The master cylinders are sized for the large capacity wilwood calipers. We couldn't risk me not getting them completely installed before the show, so we held off on installing them. We also got a dash mounted adjuster to change the front to rear bias. Hopefully the next time you get a chance to drive it you can get some highway time in the seat.
    And thank you from us both for bottle!!
    Chelle

15. Maximilian

Maximilian Rookie

Aug 20, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Van Orton
    Hi Chelle,

Love the project. Im from the BMW community and followed you over from BB. Henry's ITB mod to the engine got my immediate attention. Was wondering if you had anymore pics of that artwork. I have an M73 and was interested in converting to the ITB & TEC 3R based on what I have read of our exploits. Also would you have any idea where to score a Getrag 6 speed for my V12? My hats off to a truly kick ass project. Why are there not more women like you in the world I will never know. Best of luck with your journey.

-MMVO
    97 BMW 750IL

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Your car just hit the newstands in the magazine here in Oklahoma!

Great article with photos of the car and our GTO heroines!

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great Write up Andreas!

Congrats on getting it all sorted. You may want to consider a brake booster. I put one into my Lola and it made it much more drivable on the street. Also make sure you have street pads as race pads do nothing until they get some heat into them.

Best

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Jim. If you ever need a write up on any of your cars...
    :)

PS: On our last club drive I was going north on I94. Chelle and Haley were somewhere behind me at the tollway gate. All of a sudden I hear this thundering machine gun noise come up from the back. Yes it was the GTO flying by me making this insane and very unique sound. The stakato was faster than on an Aston Martin, the pitch of the howl higher than on a 355 tubi and nothing, absolutely nothing reminded one of its Bavarian homeland. Compared to a real GTO the note was a tad too high. But that's like saying Placido Domingo sings higher than Pavarotti.
    As this red bullet flew by me (of course no speed limits were broken in this purely fictional encounter) I could smell in the interior of my 308 the residue of some racing fuel lingering in the air. This car is a visceral experience; for its drivers as well as for the bystanders; who indeed feel like standing still, particularly if they try to follow it.

19. bilodeaulynn

bilodeaulynn Karting

May 1, 2005

Which magazine?

20. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Spent the day with Chelle yesterday; she was working on some of my puter' problems.

She gave me a copy of the mag., it's 'Kit Car Builder'.