Happy 80,000 | FerrariChat

Happy 80,000

Discussion in '308/328' started by Toronto308, Oct 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    #1 Toronto308, Oct 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just wanted to share the news that my little 308 turned 80,000 miles on the weekend. This is my first summer being a Ferrari owner and, to be sure, it's been the best summer ever! When I first bought the car, I never would have guessed how enjoyable 308 ownership would be. First, there’re the looks. Having owned the car for a year now, I still get excited seeing it. The 308 is simply gorgeous, and I have to say it looks even better sitting in my garage! Heck, I even like the look of the key fob! Then there's the sound. Mine's a carb’d '79 GTS and, though I admit I have yet to hear a carb’d V12 running, I have not heard a better sounding engine. Finally, there's the feel. I'm 5' 11" and settling into the driver's seat feels like putting on a tailored shirt. Everything is just perfect. Okay, the clock and oil temp gauge stuck down there on the left is a little odd. But the early 308 interiors really do have a classy and charming, yet serious, sporting feel. The steering is crisp. The brakes are confidence-inspiring. The engine loves to rev. It's nirvana. Sure you and I own modern, faster, nimbler, more capable cars. But we all know there is something magical about being behind the wheel of a Ferrari. What a privilege it is to own such an automobile. Cheers to all you driving enthusiasts out there and thanks for the camaraderie. Enjoy the fall driving!
    Esteban
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Congrats and may she go another 80K miles :).

I think I remember the post when you bought it.

Again, congrats, she's STILL a beauty.

James in Denver

3. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I remember the pics when you bought it.

The interior had been restored maybe???

Awesome!!!

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Happy 80K miles, I'm only 7000 miles behind you:)

5. jwtfjwtf

jwtfjwtf Karting

Oct 9, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Joshua Ferguson
    Happy 80K, I hit 50K in my 328 going to Cars and Coffee on Saturday.

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Congrats! Your car looks sweet for 80,000 miles on the clock. :):)

7. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    #7 Toronto308, Oct 2, 2007
    Yes. The interior was restored in 2002, though I found out just htis past August that my car is one of the ten special-ordered with an interior by Schedoni. The interior looks great but an immaculate orginal interior would have been even better! The story may have a really happy ending, however, as a fellow from Florida is interested in trading Fcars with me and eventually restoring it back to original, which would be great to see.

8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Cheers to you!

Approaching 90K on my 308 ---- hell, these cars don't even start running right until they hit about 50K!!! At some point though, don't forget to switch to a heavier (20-50W) engine oil...

9. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Really?

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    yep.

mine has 99,937.

11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    So at only 80 000 yours is just nicely run in !

12. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine, at 73,000 miles, I'm just barely getting over my break in period:D

13. Big D

Big D Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Tarzana, CA
    Full Name:
    Demetri N. Zafiris
    I have owned my 79 308 GTS for ten years, last Sunday I treated my wife to lunch at a Greek restaurant in Malibu (Tonys Taverna) the parking attendant let me park it in front, can not believe the lovely comments I overheard about my car, we then took a ride along Pacific Coast Highway, just a totally beautiful day - does not get any better than this

14. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Happy Ten years anniversary:)

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    How about that. I had my ten year Sept 7th.

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    My '76 turned 80k not long ago. Original engine. 150psi compression on each cylinder (checked at 2400 feet elevation 96ish degrees outside). Amazing engines.

17. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    Congrats on the 80,000....mine just turned 50,000 miles and still going strong (knock on wood)...

18. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Sounds like a great outing. Nice weather, nice roads, and a nice car!

19. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Happy anniversary!

20. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Sweet! Now get out there and put some more miles on that thing! :)

21. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Totally. Mine is bone stock with no mods. It even has the original muffler. I've never had such a 'bullet-proof' engine. And a nice sound to boot!

22. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I've had mine 5 years on Sept. 4th. and about to turn over to 50,000 miles.

23. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I was being a bit facetious...

But, what I mean is that until these cars get some miles on them, they're not properly sorted. Mine's an '81, and I'm the 3rd owner. I have every receipt on the car since it left the floor of the dealership new (RTGT of Portland, OR, in this case), and by far, the car has many more receipts from the first 50K than from the second 50K.

IMO, until the late 80's, Ferrari still had inconsistent quality control and spotty workmanship. Many of the problems my car had early on were crazy --- for example, the Digiplexes were replaced 3 times within the first 10,000 miles, and one day while the car was sitting in the parking lot the rear window simply shattered!!! There were a lot of defective things on these cars when they left the factory --- and it takes some mileage (not time) for them all to surface and to be corrected. I'd much rather buy a car like this that has been well taken care of and driven than a "cream puff" with low miles because I don't want to be the one who owns it when everything which was originally suspect is still waiting to break.

My car has been driven hard (even tracked) but never abused and always diligently maintained ---- the heads have never been off, and everything, including cylinder leak down is within spec. Aside from some minor cosmetics (although, the car still looks quite good), I truly believe the car is in better shape now than when it had, say 40,000 on it. I will confess that it got fresh paint in '90, but this was due to a color change the original owner wanted. And, that too was an improvement to the car over OEM because the DuPont Imron it got later was far superior to the Glasurit it came with.

BTW, the recommendation to switch over to 20-50W oil came from both the dealership and from the factory at 60,000 miles --- and was described as a "service standard" for the 308 of that era.

24. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    #24 jeffQV, Oct 2, 2007
  25. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Right on!!!

First one to make it to 150,000 wins!

Perhaps the prize would be an all-expenses-paid visit to the factory where we could meet some of the retired, old timers who actually built the cars back then. It would be great to see the stupified looks on their faces --- as they look at each other and exclaim, "eeem-po-sseee-blah!!!".