355 window "chatters" | FerrariChat

355 window "chatters"

Discussion in '348/355' started by miami355, Oct 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    My drivers side window chatters on the way down. Any ideas?

DMG
    Miami, FL

2. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Maybe RainX on the window. Makes the windows very smooth. If you need to get to the gears, the bottom part of the outside door comes off with only a few screws. Very easy access.

3. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I doubt that the glass is causing the chatter. If you feel comfortable doing so, a look at the inner workings of the door with the panel off could tell you what is doing it. Usually chatter is caused by the regulator linkage binding from a lack of lubrication. Of course, Rain-X on the glass is a cheap experiment. :)

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I would pull the outside door panel and have a look at the window regulator. In particular the 3 rubber dampened screws that hold the window motor to the middle of the regulator. They have a tendency for the screws to pull out of the rubber and thus allow the movement of the motor from the regulator. This thread will give you a better understanding of what I'm talking about. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135816990 It is for a 348, but it's still the same deal for the 355. They use the same window regulators.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Chatter from what? Does it sound like the rubber or felts rubbing against the glass? If so, some careful spraying of silicone spray on the window felts (tracks) and rubber can quiet them down. If it is more mechanical in nature, then the door panel needs to come off so you can inspect the window regulator. As mentioned, the door panel is not difficult too remove, just remove all the screws on the perimeter, and the door latch philips screw. The center portion needs to slide off.

http://www.the355.com/mambo/showpage.php?id=124&page=286

#19 comes off by sliding forward or backward (after removing the screws)

You also need to remove the triangle piece at the forward top edge of the door.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Good post Ernie! The other welds that can fail are where those two spot welds are for that "bridge" piece. I recall someone having rattles from that breaking too. Their fix was to drill and install a small bolt and not there to tighten them together again.

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thats another good point.

In a nutshell just pull the outside door intake and have a look around.

8. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    My wife does that! :D

Anyone have a fix?

9. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007