Mattel 1/18 Ferrari 07 Raikkonen | FerrariChat

Mattel 1/18 Ferrari 07 Raikkonen

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F&M racing, Sep 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    Any one get a Mattel 1/18 Ferrari 07 Raikkonen diecast yet? Is it just me or is the color on this model wrong? I swear on TV it looks metallic red and model looks the same color as 06.
    I just got mine and it doesn't look right, rear wing droops back also. I'm thinking on sending it back.

2. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Don't have it yet... They didn't switch to the new color until the last 1/2 of the season. I'm sure the "regular" release will be of the launch car, which would be the same as the last 10 or so years... I'm sure there will be some special editions and such coming with the new color, and since it is now the official color, I'm sure the model of the '08 car will be like that. Pics of yours?

3. F&M racing

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    #3 F&M racing, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. hycian

hycian Karting

Apr 6, 2005
    Another disappointing product from Mattel...

5. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    The wing does look a little "off" - even from that angle - I bet a side shot would show even more. No "Martini" on the nose either... I dunno, I wish they'd put a little more effort in to them - Not quite like an Exoto or a CMC, but like Kyosho or something... Sadly, as it's the only game in town, I'll be getting one too...

6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I've got both Massa and Raikkonen 07. I too was a little disapointed but then remembered they didn't have the small wings at the beggining of the season. I ordered the raikkonen hat trick thinking it would be the current car but it is not. It is Kimi celebrating his aussie win at the begining of the season.

7. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    Martini is Alcoholic beverage and since the Hot Wheels models are intended for kids, that´s the reason same as tobacco.

There's always aftermaket decals...

8. F&M racing

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    If I wanted to update car to new Paint and decals where's a good place to start. Any place sell current decals ? Matching paint to what I see on TV would be the biggest problem. The rear wing on these cars is fragile and I'm sure most of them are bent.

9. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    Decals would be the "easy" part on the conversion, you could replicate Australia with the Kimi model which ran the Bar code logos...(and a flexi rear wing)

decals on ebay or some online sellers...

PM if need more info

10. loan1at

loan1at Karting

Feb 8, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Andy L.
    The color of the model-car is the correct from the beginning of the season! The metallic red comes out at the race in monaco!
    I'm sure mattel makes also versions in this color later in the year!

11. F&M racing

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    I decided to send it back, looking it over more I found out that the airbox camera fin is broke off. I sent the vendor a note and they'll supply a return shipping label. I'm getting tired of fixing these bad models when they arrive. They also mentioned that they haven't heard anything about a release in the new color. Too bad Auto Art or Mini Champs don't do Ferrari F1 cars.
    Might not hurt to call Mattel office and voice our complaints on their F1 Ferrari Diecast quality, I don't know how others feel but I would pay a little more for a better model. One that I don't have to fix when it arrives.
    Mattels # is on the web.

Jim

12. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This is an issue that people have been complaining about not just from their F1 models but the roadgoing Ferraris too. They are even worst. I had the idea of a public outcry to Ferrari so they can press HW, but it would like never happen.

13. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    If you want better quality you have to go for a better quality built kit and not a Mattel diecast toy. Go for something that was either hand built or built from a multimedia kit by a professional model builder that's where the quality is.

14. a.v.d.winkel

a.v.d.winkel Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    Best
    Full Name:
    Arjan van der Winkel
    #14 a.v.d.winkel, Oct 1, 2007
    In my opinion Hotwheels has wrecked the F2007 model to the level of a bad toy....
    After 4 hours of retouching and building I could "elevate" the quality to the level shown on the picture....

a few things i modified:
    high back, long exhausts, wings on nose, extra wings in front of sidepods, closed frontwheels, modified airducts at the exhausts, wing on back-part with the taillight, Total livery including "SOFT"-tire indicators and 60 years logo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. F&M racing

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    Your Model looks 100% better, what did you use for the front wheel covers? White tape for tire stripe?

Jim

16. a.v.d.winkel

a.v.d.winkel Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    Best
    Full Name:
    Arjan van der Winkel
    For the white stripe i used white adress-sticker (matt) cut in thin strokes . They are easy to remove when I am tired of them...
    For the wheelcovers I used some LEGO-parts which I slightly modified (i removed the peg on a small black disc)

17. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    where did you get the decals and specially the 60 years logo for this model?

18. a.v.d.winkel

a.v.d.winkel Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    Best
    Full Name:
    Arjan van der Winkel
    SELF-MADE !!! and the internet !!

19. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The simple fact that Mattel could not even get the color right & most of the simple details is a major disappointment to me.

20. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob

Would it be possible to show close up pictures of the detail work you've done on the model??? The picture you up loaded is difficult to see all the nice work done. Also how did you match the red body paint or did you repaint the car over again???

Thanks
    Rob

21. a.v.d.winkel

a.v.d.winkel Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    Best
    Full Name:
    Arjan van der Winkel
    #21 a.v.d.winkel, Oct 3, 2007
  22. F&M racing

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    Has anyone here seen the new paint in person, I couldn't make Indy. Is a deep metallic Red or a candy red.

23. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    Can you tell how did you convert the rest also...air ducts, extra wings, etc.

paying

more atention to the pictures I really saw the detail that you brought to the model, NICE WORK.

24. a.v.d.winkel

a.v.d.winkel Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    Best
    Full Name:
    Arjan van der Winkel
    For the extra wings I used an old package of a bottle of Ferrari F1 eau de cologne (it's all in the family). It is an thin sort of red plastic (colour trough and trough) which I shaped in the shape i needed. For the airducts I used some photo's of the real car and made them with photo-shop a little bit 3D (optic trick). The long exhaust are some electric connection parts, which are cut short. Some black carton did some trick for de extra wing on the rear en de later applied end-plates on the camera's and the separation-plate in de airduct (both not shown on these pictures).

25. F&M racing

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    I ordered 2007 decal set from Toronto Motorsports

DECAL # FER07HM18

http://www.tomotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=78&products_id=2631

Designed to fit all 2007 Ferrari F2007 models in 1:18 Scale.

"Each set includes all decals to convert your 1:18 scale diecast model, driver figure and helmet (where applicable) to the correct "Hash Mark" livery as raced during the 2007 F1 Season. The Martini branding located on the nose of the car is also included. You'll also be able to add the optional tyre white stripe to your model."