Any hardcore computer Gamers here? | FerrariChat

Any hardcore computer Gamers here?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Cicada, Oct 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    got a couple quick Q's -- building a new computer....

2. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    What do you wanna know...

3. Razzer92

Razzer92 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    the only game i have on my pc now is GTA 3 which i never play and Counter Strike 1.6 which i play online.

4. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    in short, im building a new rig and i want to be able to play games on it, but will mostly be used as a work computer for which I do lots of photoshop work and video rendering.

My budget for video is about 300-400, and wanted to know if, [for gaming] 2 lower-end cards [say, 2 8600-series cards] running in SLI would be better than one 8800GTS [cant afford the GTX! :p]

and, if crossfire is better, considering some nforce board chipsets are finnicky and intel hasnt been licensed by nvidia so all intel boards are crossfire [and their new X38(?) chipset looks good.]

5. Rev.ATARI

Rev.ATARI Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2004
    Guam USA
    Full Name:
    Leland Jones
    In short with the current crop of games out you would be better off going with a good high end card because most games engines don’t really take full advantage of SLI or Crossfire, also SLI as proven to be better then Crossfire. On SLI one card does the even lines and the other does the odd lines, Crossfire is divided by one card does the upper half of the screen and the other does the lower? So on Crossfire if 1 card is getting hit with more pixels then the other card has to slow down, this happens a lot in most games.

6. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    thanks for letting us know!

7. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    i think you're backwards.

SLI does half/half of the screen and only horizontally as well as alternate-frame rendering, whereas x-fire can do half/half both horizontally and vertically..x-fire can also do alternate frame rendering, but the odd/even checkerboard effect [per frame] of Crossfire is what most people use.

8. Rev.ATARI

Rev.ATARI Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2004
    Guam USA
    Full Name:
    Leland Jones
    Yes you are correct I said it backwards, my bad.

9. Razzer92

Razzer92 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    i thought by the title he was asking if anyone has games on there computer or plays them, so back off.

10. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    did you not read the original post? maybe you should try doing that in future.