Appalachian Road Trip Pictures | FerrariChat

Appalachian Road Trip Pictures

Discussion in 'Florida' started by BT, Oct 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #1 BT, Oct 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pictures from the big road trip. Four days. Two trailers. A little over 2000 miles. About 600 miles of mountain road driving!!!! :D :D :D No accidents. A box of Cocoa Pebbles. 7 BBQ meals. A trip to remember for me. (The motorcycle riders are my brother and his friend from north Atlanta). First the trailer getting loaded and driving up to the cabin in Blairsville. Kind of a tight fit going into the trailer between the ramp door wires, but once inside the trailer it had about 8-10" on each side to walk around. THe biggest problem seems to be the low clearance in the center of the car beaching on the hinge of the ramp door.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
  3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Beautiful pictures Bill! I bet you had a blast. Did you eat at a Rib Country?

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The next trip will probably be a spring thaw run, so if anyone can make time in their schedules, come along on the next one!
    :)
    BT

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Rib country was Saturday night in Blairsville after about 320 miles of driving. It was great, ranked #2 for BBQ overall on the trip. #1 was OB's just south of Atlanta off I-75 exit #223. #3 ranking was Po' Boys in Douglas, GA.
    That car really kicks through the turns. Generally 2+ times the recommended speed was good (I.e. 40-50 ish through the 20 mph recommended turns). Earplugs helped keep me from going deaf. :D
    BT

6. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Great shots
    Glad you had fun, I do that part of the country every year (early april) with a bunch of friends on motorbikes.
    Every time I get into the mountains in North GA south west NC and SC I thank God that I live close.

Russell

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Great shots and love the Ginetta!

If you want some great BBQ... you need to come to Texas. =)
    (yes, I'm biased!)

8. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    makes me love the area even more! Glad you had fun, which road/route did you like the best?

9. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    BT, great pictures! Looks like you had an awesome time, great driving and beautiful weather! Id love to plan a trip up sometime.

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I liked Buck Creek Road (which turns into National Park Road) going north off of US64 east of Hayesville, NC, and NC28, GA348, and Blue Ridge Parkway were all pretty spectacular. A night drive up US 129 / 19 from Helen to Blairsville was a blast also. GA 180 was nice and scenic, as well as the road to Brasstown Bald. The only road that was troubled was NC 281 which my map showed as a road, but it was dirt for about 5-6 miles. Navigating using only a map with only a second or two to read the signs as I approach was amusing! Oh, and NC 215 was great also!
    :D
    BT

11. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I wish we had roads and scenery like that around here!

I'm a little envious, but I hope you had fun! :D :p

12. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Amazing!!! Enjoy!!!

13. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Whow.....and damn that is tight on the trailer :)

Eventually get the straps with the short hooks. What a difference, you will love it especially to this small trailer.

I always wondered if OBs at Exit 227 is really as good as the signs claim...glad you tried and liked it. Now how am I going to get Gaby to a BBQ place....???

14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Tell Gaby you heard it is a great salad place. I have only had the brisket sandwich there, but it is very good.
    We used some of the shorter straps on the way back. Much easier to reach the ratchet that way. The trailer is a tight fit going up the ramp door between the wires, but it helps me to be centered that way. Good times for sure. I will plan on a another trip in April probably. I might take the car and trailer for Thanksgiving. IF Lisa agrees, if not I'll wait.
    :)
    BT

15. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Always get the apprival from the boss :) I know...., I know....

Not sure if you saw my post on the winch. HarborFreigth has them in the store for $49.95 right now.
    Makes loading by yourself a lot easier. Figure the first scratch will cost you a lot more at Luc's than the $49,95 and the $50 for the battery.

16. XSNSX

XSNSX Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 19, 2007
    Jupiter, Florida
    Wish I knew you were heading for the hills BT. I've made several trips up yonder. Mostly, I go to look around at various properties. Narrowed my search to Seneca, SC. It's just west of Greenville, in the foothills... and about an hour from Asheville, or Atlanta. I've been planning to buy a trailer to tote cars back & forth. My next trip will be in the Spring of '08. Heading to Deal's Gap and the Tail of the Dragon. For those unfamiliar... it's a winding road in the Appalachians with 200-300 curves over an eleven mile stretch. Great fun!!!

Thank for sharing your trip. I KNOW how much you enjoyed it! Makes it hard to come back to Florida, but for those of us who have seen your garage, THAT's certainly worth returning home to. ;)

17. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Awesome trip. The Ginetta would hav ebeen fun. But I am sure you missed the (relatively speaking) torque rich 348 on the climb :)

Oh by the way ... real men eat Cocoa Puffs :D

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The 348 will only get to the mountains if I drive it from FL, the trailer is too small, and my tow vehicle is too weak. The Ginetta has very little torque, but it only weighs around 1400 pounds, so not much is needed. It really does drive very similar to the rental go karts. I generally kept the motor spinning between 4-7 RPM on the twisty roads using gears 2-4, whcih worked perfectly. But as far as cereal goes, Cocoa Puffs make you Cuckoo, Cocoa Pebbles keep your mind in the game. If all goes well at work this week, the Ginetta will get a supercharger and have way plenty o' torque. To me the only real downside is the lack of a roof in case of rain. But we lucked out on this trip.
    BT

19. RoadRacer

RoadRacer Formula Junior

May 7, 2006
    SoCal / SoFla
    Full Name:
    Griff W
    Beautiful pics, Bill... been up there a number of times myself scouting property. GA 19 from Helen to Blairsville IS a blast - had my M3 for one of those trips (some of the bikers couldn't believe I was staying up with them in the twisties :D). Can't wait for the opp to take the Carrera up there - Tail of the Dragon is another one on my list of to-do's.

20. RoadRacer

RoadRacer Formula Junior

May 7, 2006
    SoCal / SoFla
    Full Name:
    Griff W
    Oh by the way, Martin - tell Gaby that the BBQ isn't served on the bone (unless of course you order the ribs - yummy!)

21. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Is that a ghey Irish bar????

22. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I would not know. Do you have a membership to the 'O Torque international club?
    BT