How did they sell 308's in 1984? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How did they sell 308's in 1984?

Discussion in '308/328' started by ATSAaron, Oct 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I'll have to agree with you on the interiors... I think that is where Chevrolet saved a lot of cash. They looked cheap when new, and only got worse as they aged. I am very glad to see that GM is finally getting their interiors up to date. The newest Corvette is very nice (though still not on the level of a hand built car) and the newest Cadillacs are looking spot on.

And the Corvette with the Star Wars gauges... No comment!!! Yuck!!

I'd love to one day own a nice 328, though I'm not so sure it will happen as I'll need room for my wife's wheelchair. Though there was a nice 400 convertible on Ebay...

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

2. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    #52 Dino246gt, Oct 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This IS a Ferrari chat afterall! I love all cool cars, especially Ferrari, but it's a bit of a shame that we have to resort to "bashing" others like school kids, isn't it? Just my rant! I own a 308 and love it for all the reasons already stated over and over! As for the black bumpers, and all the black trim, I just got a black car!!! That makes it all blend in and with the 16" rims, it still looks great today, 25 years old!! Now that high school year thing, hmmmmm.....class of '67 here!! YIKES, I'm way old!! Ha ha, it's all fun! Cheers, Dennis
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's right, we may be getting old but our 308 is sure is a timeless piece of machine:)

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I saw the 308 GTB for the first time at the 1976 New York International Auto Show. I stood there, speechless, looking at it for the longest time. My friends had a difficult time dragging me away.

Oh, and Jon...I reacted the same way when I was introduced to Lee Remick at a party around the same time.

5. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    OK. Took your word for it. I bought a 1983 911SC Cabriolet today. I was (am) really looking for a Mondial, but the price was right on this frog, so it will do for now.

Aaron

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    cool car

I would enjoy a nice little 81 911SC coupe myself.

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    You guys are confusing your terminology. There are no Corvettes after 1967. Just Chevys with the Corvette name tag. A pile of pre-1968 Corvette parts that vaguely resembles a car will still sell for $25,000 or more. It will be a long time before the 1967/1968 dividing line will fade away when it comes to determining a Corvette's value. A stock 1967 Corvette in a barn will probably bring bigger bucks than a stock 1979 308 Ferrari in the same barn.

8. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks

Well said.

9. tnorthcott

tnorthcott Rookie

Oct 16, 2007
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Tom Northcott
    Ironically, I am a Corvette guy. I don't have a 83, but I do have 4 others including a ZR-1 and a 71 Big Block convertible. But I need some help understanding the differences between the 308 & 328. I have never owned a Ferrari but I am trying to convince myself to buy one. My issue is I don't know enough about Ferrari's to even ask questions. Please lead me to the right decision and help me understand what I am up against; cost of repairs, availability of parts, etc. I would love to buy a Testerossa and I have seen a few on Ebay for about $50K which seems pretty cheap for what you are getting. Should I stay away from these? Are the 300 series a better value or just a great way to get "into" Ferraris? Thanks in advance for any help.

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You'll probably want to start a new thread, but the best thing you can do is:

1. Figure out your budget. If it's $80K or $60K you have a lot more options than if it's $30K.

2. Surf this site a bit and look at the repair/service costs. You can easily spend $4K on a major service on a 308 or 328, and $7K on a Testarossa. Parts prices on Ferraris are scary - even 'common' stuff like a distributor cap or ignition wire set is hundreds of dollars. Make sure you're able/willing to handle that. A $10K cash reserve for repairs/parts isn't too large.

3. Go look at/sit in/drive the cars. They're vastly different than Corvettes in about every way I can think of. IMHO, the 328 is the best value in a Ferrari right now, because you can get a decent one for $50K and a great one for under $70K. Also, they tend to be among the most reliable Ferraris. But, if you don't like the driving position, or the looks, then it's the wrong car for you.

Big piece of advice: don't go bargain hunting in Ferraris. Buy one with a good service history, get it inspected by a knowledgeable Ferrari mechanic prior to purchase, and remember that the service costs don't drop with the value of the car. There's nothing more expensive than a 'cheap' Ferrari.

11. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Nothing against 'em and i really love the stingrays of the 1960's but i could never talk myself into a Corvette or out of a Ferrari.

12. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Why, because they aren't bright orange or lime green?! :D

13. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    From looking at hundreds of Corvettes at Bloomington Gold in IL. and Corvettes at Carlisle PA. i've seen alot of things that turn me off.

Off the top of my head i can think of:

Weatherstrip along window usually has chunks out of it within 8 years.
    Armrest usually has a spot where someone's elbow has worn down the padding and the vinyl over padding.
    The different pieces of plastic in center console all have faded black coating and all fade in different amounts.
    Really cheep paint
    Front and rear plastic clips warp and don't line up with the rest of the car
    Front and rear clips paint fades to a different color than rest of car in a few years.
    Rattles when door shuts
    Thin and cheep carpet that fades in two or three years
    shifter is like a barrel in basket of coconuts.
    Plastic on dash and controls reminds me of the plastic on a Sega Genesis controller.
    Rattles and squeeks galore.

The stingrays of the '60's are much better built and works of art IMO but the newer ones aren't.

14. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Amen. I finally got to see my first 3x8 in my Junior year of college (after drooling over that car on Magnum for years) also in '86. One of the middle eastern students (some minor Saudi noble 200 times removed) had one 4 doors down from our townhouse (that four of us shared). It was even better in person than on TV or in magazines. The lines just FLOWED. (New car designers, please take note on what a car should look like) It took me another 20 years, but I finally got one. And I still sit and drool over it when she is parked. (Or I get to see her moving in a store plate glass window!)

And comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari is not fair to either car. Each serves a different niche. The lines of the C3 (IMHO) are fantastic. I'd love to have the anniversary model in that silver and black. I also think painting every 'Vette owner as someone who knows nothing about Euro cars or only cares about straight line speed is waaaay overboard. That is like saying every Ferrari owner only buys one to impress his neighbors at the Club and is a huge snob.

Personally I am leaning toward ordering a C6 next year with Z51 and factory delivery. I hated the C5 and C4 but I really like the lines on this car. And the interior is finally decent looking. (Better than the new BMWs as a matter of fact) And I can't think of another car that has the bang for the buck a C6 does.

15. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    Actually, at that time, they usually were the same. At least in the South. My father owned a 1/2 interest in a Ferrari dealership from 75-85 and some of his cars starting from the early seventies were Dino 246, Pantera, Corvette, Corvette, Pantera, 308GT4, TransAm, 308GTB, TransAm etc....and the customers were the same. 308's were selling in big numbers because they were attracting new american buyers. Some had owned British and German cars before but their were plenty that had grown up on american muscle and now had the resources to buy their own cars. He would say that Magnum sold them more cars than anything else. Funny to me now though, because growing up around the cars, I do not remeber ever watching that show....I would actually say that the buyers are more different today. I have never really been interested in Corvette's although I can appreciate them. My Dad turned 70 this year and still owns a Ferrari and a Corvette!

16. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm wondering, if Magnum would have use the corvette instead of the 308, would the sale for vette would have gone up?

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Oh boy. Could be a temp ban for not watching Magnum. :(

18. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Maybe if he promised to go out and buy at least the first season on DVD he can be let off with a warning?

19. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Naw.

20. Paul308

Paul308 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I own both a 308 GTS and a 64 vette and I whole heartedly believe you can love both of them. :) The Ferarri is my greatest love though and it all started when I was 12 years old and saw that beautiful 308 for the first time on Magnum. I had no idea what it was or that it was expensive. I just knew it was beautiful and the coolest car on the planet. I'm grateful to have one in my garage and it still holds that magic all these years later.

Paul

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Meh, I guess that's fair.

22. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Thats kinda like comparing the Beach Boy's to the Beatles.

23. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    My neighbor has a '72 Cuda. We were sharing gas station experiences. As I am sure all of you know, it takes about twice as long to fill up the 308 (or a Cuda) because of all the people that want to stop and ask you about it. (Despite what Barrett Jackson Auctions say about Mopar values) I did finally one up my neighbor with one MAJOR difference between the gas station questioners.....His audience always wants to tell him they used to have a Cuda, or their brother had a Cuda.....My audience doesn't tell me how they used to have a 308 ;-)

People generally know exactly what a 308 is. And they don't treat you like a pompus jerk trying to make up for something. I seriously doubt the 360 or 430 driver seems as approachable or down to earth as a 308/328 driver. I think the 308/328 is the BEST Ferrari. Any older and you have to explain what it is, any newer and they don't want to talk to you anyway.

Aaron

24. Kingpin328

Kingpin328 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    LOL - If we had a Quote of the Year-contest, you'ld have my vote, for sure!!

25. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike