Official Make Over Thread for my 512TR. Many Pics! | FerrariChat

Official Make Over Thread for my 512TR. Many Pics!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by silvergts1998, Oct 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I will make this my official thread of my project and have step by step instructions on what I am doing to my car. I will post pictures and tutorials here so that way we can keep it all on one thread. :)

Come back an check for updates later. I need to do some photoshop of the pictures I got.

Thanks.

Adam B

2. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Adam,
    Thanks in advance..:)

3. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Surely, would it not of been better to have placed some images at the commencement of the thread?

4. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I will get to it when I can. It takes time to do the photos! That is why I said "Come back an check for updates later." You're more than welcome to take apart YOUR 512TR and show us you're pictures If I am not fast enough for you. :)

5. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    ChILL OUT Dude!

6. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #6 silvergts1998, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah there's always one in the crowd that does nothing but think of themselves. :) LOL!

Well Hawaii the first set of pics are for you! I still have more to come. Working on them now.

Things that need to be removed.

#1. Disconnect the battery/ Disconnect from front of engine
    #2. Remove rear deck lid panel by rear window
    #3. Remove Rear deck lid
    #4. Drain coolant out
    #5. Take off all coolant hoses off the engine
    #6. Drain oil out of pan and resevior
    #7. Disconnect oil lines from the engine
    #8. Disconnect air hoses from the engine
    #9. Disconnect the electrical connections in front of the engine
    #10. Take off air box
    #11 Take off cross member by air boxes
    #12. Remove the mufflers and pipes from engine
    #13. Remove the rear headers from the car
    #14. Disconnect rear half shafts from the engine block
    #15. Disconnect ignition and fuel lines
    #16. Remove all electrical connections from the engine and firewall. This includes the computer.
    #17. Disconnect throtthe cable
    #18. Disconnect vacum lines
    #19. Disconnect the shift linkage
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
  8. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I will work on this more later. I got a late start doing this because of a business function I had to attend tonight. I will post more up on Thursday. Many of my parts are already off getting ceramic coated.

9. blu328gts

blu328gts Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2004
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    //Rick
    Thanks soooo much for your time and effort, Adam! Have followed and enjoyed your previous adventures and really appreciate you sharing your experiences with us!!

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    So whats the goal for the makeover ?

Will it be for concours, track, just for fun ?

Dont get too crazy with the horsepower unless you want to be replacing transmissions often

11. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    No problem Blue. My pleasure.

William...no horse power upgrade...just reliability and good looks plus peace of mind. HEaders are getting ceramic coated anlong with the rest of the exhaust system.

12. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Nice work on your photo essays Adam. I have a little rinky-dink one going on Webby site, but don't have the cool graphics, arrows, etc...that you use. Are you making progress on the Diablo at the same time or just working on this one?

13. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    SMS. The Diablo has way more things being done than the 512TR. 512TR is minor stuff and can be done in a few weeks to make it perfect. The Diablo is about done and will almost be brand new and better than when I got it. But I don't want to talk about the Diablo in this thread. It's for the 512TR only.

14. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Adam...my hat is off to you!! Your narrative is terrific! I've always loved the 512TR but never really get a chance to see what makes them tick - as they are pretty rare cars. Thank You for taking the time and posting your excellent pictures. Many people like to see them, but they have to understand it takes quite a bit of time and effort to make a thread like this. You have to write out descriptions for the masses...not as easy as it seems...trying to please everyone and get all the facts and details right. Well done ol'e boy! I'll be watching intently....

15. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #17 silvergts1998, Oct 26, 2007
  16. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #18 silvergts1998, Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks Carguy. I will call and chat with you this weekend.

This has been one of my worst write up's I have done. It's a bit disorganized. My pictures got messed up so some steps are in this thread are before other steps. But it will give people a general idea of what is needed to do this work. It's not 100%, but I will have it 100% on my site. I want to get the pictures up and get the car done at the same time. The picture above is my Diablo Engine that I did some what simaliar to the Ferrari 512TR engine. (But I dug way more into it than the 512TR). I am powdercoating the 512 TR engine the same color. Intake plenum, valve covers, timing cover and airboxes. Headers will be ceramic coated and cermachrome coated on the outside. It's good for 1200 degree on the outside and 2000 degrees on the inside. It should cut down on heat quite a bit and may pick up some HP. The looks should be incrediable...or at least to me. I was kind of embarrassed to open my hood before because the engine looks wasn't clean to my standards.

Here's a before and after pic of the Diablo engine. The Ferrari 512TR will be the same when I am done in about a 1.5 weeks! Not bad for a DIYer and a self taught mechanic eh? :) I know my bank account is thankful!

VColin likes this.
  17. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Well that's it for tonight. I think I spent 3 hours doing this update. All my parts that I am having powder coatedand hi-temp ceramic coated are off and should have them back with my injectors next week. By the way does anyone know what PSI the 512 injectors run at? I need to know that to get an accurate reading on what other injectors would work on our cars without paying the Ferrari tax. As an example, I had my Diablo injectors flow tested and cleaned. The injectors that the Lamborghini Diablo uses cost from Lambo in the range of $350-$400 per injector. After my testing, I found that a 19lb Bosch injector that cost $30 will work just the same or better. Bosch in my opinion are good injectors and tough too. Way better than the weber injectors that came with the Diablo. So I am trying to do the same fot the 512TR just incase if the injectors go bad, I am not stuck paying the Ferrari tax.

Now I will be ordering parts and gaskets for my car on Saturday and doing a major degreasing/cleaning of the entire engine and engine bay of my 512TR. I want my car to look good on the inside as it does on the outside. I wasn't expecting to do this to my car so soon, but I think some of the things on my car may have been overstated when I bought it, but who knows....It was an excuse to take it apart and make it better. I will now have peace of mind when it's done.

Some side notes if you plan on doing anywork on your Ferrari yourself or any other car, I would strongly suggest you have a digital camera. With a digital camera, if you forget how something went together, you can always refer back to your pictures. I am not the brightest bulb at times, but with my camera, I can tackle anything and usually get it back to where it was before. But after taking the Lambo apart, this Ferrari is a sinch to do. I am doing some rewiring of the electrical and interior of the Diablo plus added some poser features on my car like power steering without robbing the power of the engine. It's a little project that I figured out and it will work like a charm. The steering in the 512 TR isn't bad, but man when you are at a stand still, it will give you a work out. I hate parking that car. You work up a sweat!

i hope you find this thread informative.

I will post more updates later.

18. RED 4RE

RED 4RE Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    CANADA
    dude,
    highly educational - your pics and play by play rock. keep up the good work!!

doc

19. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Well done! Bravo! Looking great! Thanks again and keep up the good work. Looks like the Diablo has to spend a few nights outside for awhile.

20. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    nope...the ferrari would go out before the Diablo. LOL!

All cars come back in at night.

21. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Very interesting! Thank you for posting the photos.

22. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Adam,

EXCELLENT THREAD !!!
    Is there a thread of the process or your Diablo engine?
    Thanks

23. mhiroshima

mhiroshima Rookie

Sep 10, 2007
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Michael Hiroshima
    I just want you to know that I really appreciate the time and effort you are expending on this project!
    We are also fortunat to have Lamborghini Diablo Vt and Ferrari 512TR.