'76 308 on eBay | FerrariChat

'76 308 on eBay

Discussion in '308/328' started by 8valve, Oct 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    ebay item# 290171967419
    With the engine being a wet sump, twin distributor type and the us bumpers and the side markers I really doubt that this one (chassis# 20401) is in fact a Euro version....
    This sentence in the seller's description sums it all up I guess:
    "Although it is a Euro version I have changed the front spoiler to the better looking euro model and installed a fiberglass front bumper for weight reasons"
    What is the switch on the console to the left of the emergency brake lever? Is it the rear window defogger? Euro cars don't have those...

2. wise3

wise3 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Ward Orndoff
    yes, it is the rear window defogger.
    Look at the bulge added to the rear deck. A lot of mods to this car...

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Probably a typo and seller meant to say "Although it is a US version...." The sentense makes sense then.

4. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    anyone have the actual hyperlink to this? sure would be easier to view it....

5. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
  6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    looks like a good restore project car.

7. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Thanks for the link, Jergen. Now I remember that car........kinda getting up there with miles, but not a bad price. Only thing bothering me visually, those terrible non stock wheels. How much do replacement "stock" wheels cost? $300 each +/-?

8. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
  9. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul

10. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Maybe Newman might be interested. ;)

11. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus

12. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    This is what is really depressing about the current state of the Ferrari market.

This car seems like a disaster from a few obvious directions (incorrect listing info, general condition of the car) but it is already bid at $22K, and my 1976 308 on ebay is stalled at $15K - why? – Because it's been used as a track car, has a roll cage, and the damn AC and heater have been removed. (I admit I am over-simplifying....).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare-1976-Ferrari-308-GTB-Track-Day-Vintage-Race_W0QQitemZ330179654864QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330179654864

I assume what scares people is that they assume that a a so-called "track car" has been abused beyond recoginition and will require an immediate engine rebuild as a result of such driving abuse. Nothing could be further from the truth, in most cases. And people don't give Ferraris credit for being as strong as they are, especially these early 8-cylinder cars (that were later factory modified to work reliably with a 4-valve head and then punched up to 328!). Could you imagine somebody listing a 1979 308 car "bored out to 328 - runs great!"? I don't want to be so cavalier as to imply that the Ferrari 308 engine can be backyard-modified as if it's a Chevy 350, but, hell, these cars were meant to be driven, for god's sake. And unless the driver is a complete moron who over-revs and misses shifts, these cars can take being driven....uhh... fast!! And, from a pure logic standpoint, who would you assume to be the better driver (on average), a race track guy, or the average street guy? I bet the street car guy who does the high-rev wheel squeal in front of the nightclub to impress the girls waiting at valet (they think you're an idiot) does more damage to the car than an entire track day of good quality driving!

AND...I don't think most street drivers, especially the poser wannabes (but even a good portion of the true, serious driver sports car enthusiasts), understand that a racecar is maintained at a level so much higher than a street car, and especially the deferred maintainance nightmare most of the lower-dollar 8-cylinder cars look like.

I appreciate that a lot of people who want a 1976-era Ferrari want it to be a "classic collector car", meaning that they want all the parts to be where they are supposed to be, I get it. And on my car, it would take a lot of time for somebody to put all the street stuff back in the car (and forget about paying a shop to do it - it's not mechanically complicated at all, but just time consuming).

And the funny thing is, that my car was just a track-day car, not even a racecar, point being that it was "abused" (joke) under much more controlled circumstances than even a true competition car...

And that the roll cage could be cut out of the thing is less time than it takes to watch a Top Gear rerun (with no commercials). I actually wound up really liking the roll cage when I was on the street - a definate feeling of safety/comfort with all the SUVs looming everywhere. But 308's are so damn solid anyway (better be, they're so damn heavy!). I have a Lotus Europa that I can barely drive after owning the Europa-on-steroids 308, because it feels as flimsy as a runway model after a trip to the bathroom.

So, don't mind me, I'm just venting a little. Some of my rant I think is justified or at least worth debating (are 1st time Ferrari owners coming in at the low end of the market, ******* who are more worried about the damn AC working than having a real, live sports car with a battle scar or two?), and some my rant it is just sour grapes, because I honestly feel that my car seems a 1000x better car than this one, just from a pure condition standppoint.

But, hey, I wouldn't have had the experience/appreciation to by a car like my 308 as my first F-car! And didn't! I went through GT4 ownership - great car, and I also have a 365GT 2+2 (hell, I've taken THAT on the track on the Ferrari club national a couple years back), so by the time I glommed onto to this stripped-down 308, I was already a bit of a...connoisseur....

It's just hard when I know how strong running of a car this is to see it get outbid by a car that just seems to have a little more lipstick (but a much worse personality!).

I'll shut up!! Sorry! (and my posting still has 6 days left!).

Pen

PS - anybody want to give me some advice on adding any info to the description, let me know!

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

You said all this...which is funny. I see you did not read my orignal response. I will try it again.

"Seems like a nice restore project car" :D:D:D:D wasnt this car talked about somewhere else ?

14. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    ...for anybody who did not see my F-Chat posting earlier in the week regarding my freshly-posted ebay listing (but who are going to read the ebay listing now), I'm only JOKING when I make fun of my non-2 valve, non-308, non-hardtop owing 8-cylinder breathren!!! Joke!!!