Why Chrysler is utterly doomed | FerrariChat

Why Chrysler is utterly doomed

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bullfighter, Oct 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    “I think a vehicle today has to be your most favorite room under your roof,” Mr. Nardelli said. “I really believe that. I mean, it has to bring you gratification, it has to be tranquil. It’s incidental that it gets you from Point A to B, right?” - Robert Nardelli, quoted in today's NY Times.

I wonder if St. Enzo said stuff like this when he was running Ferrari...

2. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Somewhere, deep in the halls of Chrysler, Tommy Lasorda must be quietly laughing to himself.

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If it was a decent company he could get away with up the butt BS like that.

Car companies always try to convey a sense of feeling and luxury with their cars, this dream land fantasy of Nardelli's is too far out of touch.

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    He certainly knew how to run a home suppy store into the ground.

5. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nardelli's true gift seems to be in his negotiation of termination clauses. The man is in a league of his own.

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I don't have issue with what he has said. I'm not sure he communicated exactly what he meant. So, I'm not sure I understand what he meant.............

But, I do know, that on occasion (rare occasion) I open the door to the garage and just look at my rides. I like my rides and I would say they are my favorite "rooms" in my home. They are not just to get me from point A to point B.

7. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No argument here. The guy probably could've swung me a six-figure deal when I quit my paper route in middle school.

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    But with him saying it about the cars he's thinking of, makes one think that any car maker could say the exact same thing.

He's reaching, trying to imply that those cars are an inspiration or some sort of a spiritual awakening.

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Car Guy?

Not.

10. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree that he miscommunicated. The problem is he's just parroting back what he heard in some marketing meeting. Compare this tripe to the late Sir William Lyons' (Jag founder) quote to the effect that 'the automobile is the closest man will come to creating something endowed with a living spirit' and you have the difference between something like an E-Type and something like (whatever car Chrysler makes now).

11. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    The problem is, even if I assume he intended something more positive than it came across, I still get visions of barges floating down the highway.

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Let's see...........

He's got a big up hill battle.

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    lmao

I don't know why, but everytime I see a Dodge "Charger" driving down the road i view it as a giant temperpedic mattress. The shape is atrocious.

If I were a Chrysler fan, I would have been completely done with the brand by using the Charger name on something that didn't even remotely resemeble the classic.

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Actually the company did very well under his leadership. The stock on the other hand didn't fare so well! Still have a hard time figuring that one out.

That had to be one of the most ludicrous separation packages I've ever seen. There are others but his took the prize! Personally I liked some of the execs at Ford. The Chief of Ford NA was using the company jet to fly from Detroit to his home is Florida EVERY weekend. At the same time the company was losing BILLIONS of dollars. How the hell do you justify that?? And don't even get me started on the hiring "bonus" they gave Mullaly!

15. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's exactly the problem. If the CEO can't communicate what he means, how can he lead a company? Obviously I'm taking this example way too far, but his inability to communicate his vision should at the very least give pause for concern.

16. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    So the next 300C is gonna have a heated pool, humidor, bar and hookers? SWEET!!!

17. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Well i agree with you on the Dodge charger thing somewhat, you have to think that was then and this is now, I would have perfered the current gen Charger to be a two door insead of a 4door sedan but again this is a new gen charger not an old 70's on like everybody wants. Its like the GTO from GM before they cut it, It was great the problem was GM didn't release the Goat insead they gave us a Kangaroo. :D.

Hopefully the new Challenger is something to brag about. As a big fan of the Viper and challenger that car better be damn good when it hits show room floors next season.

18. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    That would be the best selling vehicle in america if it came with all those options. :D

19. jordanair45

jordanair45 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    I completely agree.

On a side note, companies spend millions of dollars each year to find out what consumers want. Why do companies fail so miserably? They try oh so hard...

LOL!

20. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I have lost hope for Chrysler.

21. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Need to have car enthusiasts/engineers run car companies, not people like this...

22. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman
    Why? What did I miss in this?

23. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Tommy Lasorda? Why was Chrysler the official vehicle for the Dodgers? ;)

24. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL

25. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tommy Lasorda (not the baseball guy) was the CEO of Chrysler Group before the buy-out. Since then, he's been pushed aside and has been kept on in a token role while Nardelli has been handed the reigns.