RIP Dorothy Deen Sitz, 1922 - 2007 | FerrariChat

RIP Dorothy Deen Sitz, 1922 - 2007

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by dretceterini, Oct 31, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Dorothy was the person responsible for the creation of the Doretti sports cars. Her husband of 16 years is Jim Sitz, who is one of the world's experts on American sportscar racing circa 1945-1970. Tony Adriaensen's new book (Tony did the GTA book and a book on Fiat 8Vs) is called "Weekend Warriors", and it is dedicated to Jim, who provided much of the material.

Jim wants to move to the east coast and work for/with the Watkins Glen museum, but as the house was purchased by Dorothy way before they got married, and was strictly in Dorothy's name, it will be a while before he moves east, due to legal BS.

PM or e-mail me for more information...

Stu

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

Rest in Peace.

3. TooTall

TooTall Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Kurt O.
    Dorothy was also president of Cal Sales which was the Triumph car distributor for the Western US from 1953 until 1962. She was a very savvy marketing person and was instrumental in the success of the Triumph marque in the US. In fact, I have been told by a knowledgeable person, that were it not for the strong sales of Triumph TRs in the western US, Standard-Triumph would have gone under in 1957. Early on she pressured the stuffed suits at Standard-Triumph to make changes to the cars to make them more appealing to the American market. Racing was a big part of her marketing strategy and Dorothy through Cal Sales, fielded TRs and also supported a number of private entrants.

I have a copy of "Weekend Warriors" and it is a phenominal work. As impressive as the 500+ photos are, the depth and detail of the captioning provided by Jim Sitz really sets it apart. One of my favorite photos in the book shows a TR2 and a Doretti on the starting grid with Dorothy standing in the background.

Best wishes to Jim.

Kurt O.
    Redondo Beach, Ca
    54 Triumph TR2
    54 Swallow Doretti (1030)

4. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    There is a tribute in Weekend Warriors (by Tony Ardiaensens who also did the Alfa GTA and Fiat 8V books) to Jim, who provided a great deal of the information and photos in the book...