612 or Maserati GT as toy and DD? | FerrariChat

612 or Maserati GT as toy and DD?

Discussion in '612/599' started by italiafan, Nov 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I am torn between which to get next.
    I have a GranSport and love it, and put on about 1K miles/month. I want to drive my car nearly everyday if possible (I do have a sedan backup if necessary)
    I post here because I figure I'll get a robust response supporting 612.
    I'll also post query on Maserati boards and compare.
    Many thanks in advance.
    -Rob

2. ZeEN

ZeEN Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2007
    Turkey
    Full Name:
    Eren
    612 works nice :)

3. samyama

samyama Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    612 - most amazing car i've ever seen or driven. hard for me to imagine what my next car would be; impossible car to follow in my opinion.

my 612 is my DD. poor Mercedes CLS500 gets dusty and is very useful to take recycling to the center.

even sitting in traffic is enjoyable in the 612.

go for a used one, if you can. it's broken in and will sing to you for years and years...

i'm almost at 50k!!!

ciao

John

4. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    A very good question. MGT is super beautiful. The auto is DD friendly. IMO I only like the 612 HGTC and it might be a little loud for a DD. I have decided against the 1st generation MGT as I feel it is a bit under-powered. The 612 HGTC definitely does not suffer from that flaw! Will be interested to know what you decide to do

5. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I would pick the GT.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    How can you compare? The 612 is more than twice the price (almost 3x) of the Maserati.

It's like asking Maserati Coupe as a daily driver or Ford Mustang?

That said, if the money isn't an issue, definitely 612.

7. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    The price really doesn't matter, the GT is a better car IMO.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    It really isn't about the price. I could afford either (the 612 with a little stretch at this point in my life). I wouldn't get a car just because it is more expensive. I love the 612, and I love Maseratis. I am not a boy racer and the midengine V8s leave me a little.....guilt-ridden?
    For 612: Ferrari V12. Beautiful. Poweful. Functional. You never know when death looms...
    Against 612: I'll have to buy preowned, no warranty. Expensive maintenance and repairs. Might be hesitant to leave in the restaurant parking lot and enjoy my dinner.
    For MGT: Beautiful. Full warranty. Buy new. Functional. Drive it anywhere and not worry so much.
    Against MGT: Current model underpowered. Not a legendary Ferarri V12 and you never know when death looms....

Decisions........

9. Morgie

Morgie Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    SF Bay/Carmel
    For DD, get the Maserati. I love my 612, but it is not a practical DD for me . I won't take it many places and it still gets too much attention. I wouldnt leave it at the airport or on the street in San Franciso or San Jose.

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you're serious, go drive both of them. Finding a Maserati to drive should be easy, and if you're a serious buyer and known to your local Ferrari dealership, they should be able to find you a 612 to drive as well. Then decide.

Personally, if you're thinking about a 612, I'd strongly consider buying new. That way you'd get the warranty, and the car spec'ed exactly the way you want it. True, it might be a stretch, but you'll lose serious money in depreciation on either a used or a new 612 at this point, so the total cost of ownership may not be all that different, depending on how long you plan to keep it.

And, interestingly enough, Ferrari has cut the production of the 612 way back, I think in an effort to match production more or less to demand. Given that the 612 will end up being a fairly rare car by modern Ferrari standards, it may not depreciate as much as other 4 seat Ferraris. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking, I don't know.

11. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    612 is just worth it. Even if you get one that has a few K on it...I am sure you can extend the warranty....that car is a masterpeice. The GT is amazing car...it truely is great.....and on the power yes its a bit down...but so what....the car is a great DD. I am sure they will produce a more powerful version soon...I prefer more power but things today are as they are...and of the two...money being ok...612 hands down....otherwise get a loaded GT and put ur name down for a new build 612 prob 6-8 month delivery. maybe best option.

12. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    ??? A shortened QP chassis with an underpowered engine and a very ordinary auto better than a 612???

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks all.
    I'll keep you posted!