Lost 16lbs in the past month | FerrariChat

Lost 16lbs in the past month

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by REMIX, Nov 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Holy crap.

Couldn't figure out why in the world I could be in the gym nearly every single day since March and no luck in losing weight...in fact I gained weight. Really lethargic and never wanting to do anything anymore.

Went to the doc and ended up getting bloodwork done. To explain, I hadn't had a physical exam in 22 years (I'm 39), so I felt something was definitely going on. I'd quit smoking in October of 06 and would blame all this on my metabolism.

Anyway...got my bloodwork done and found out I had a few issues, namely being borderline diabetic. Thankfully I'm not, but really close. Thyroid was fine, triglycerides were high, testosterone as low, cholesterol count was okay (155). Doc put me on a diet of low carbs (no pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, etc) and very low sugar (no candy, soda - only fruits and such without refined sugars). Thought I would have some "issues" without the sugar, but okay now after three weeks. I really don't miss the sugar, bread or anything like that. Went out for pizza once and felt like crap afterward - but I love my pizza - LOL!

Got some med for the testosterone problem and I have to say the last few weeks have been INCREDIBLE. Not only have I lost a significant amount of weight - enough to make almost all my current clothes loose - but I can see I have a LOT more muscle definition (doc told me my weight lifting/testosterone therapy would do that) and just a ton of energy. I cleaned the garage this past weekend - something that needed to be done for over 2 years. It's to the point now where people see me and ask what in the world I'm doing for all this to happen. I'm a little more aggressive when driving I've noticed, but no other weird side effects.

I really need to be around 185 - 190 to be back where I was 10 years ago when I was in amazing shape. I see pics from back then and am amazed at how good I looked.

I started out at 226 in the beginning of October and was 210 this morning. 20-25 lbs to go and I'll be back. Didn't realize how much my diet was affecting my overall health, amazing.

It's crazy how going to the doc can change your life. I guess the changes were so gradual that I never noticed until it all hit critical mass.

Just wanted to share!

RMX

2. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I'm happy for you, however, I hate to tell you this, but the minute you add carbs back into your diet it's likely that you will gain what you lost and then some. It sucks. It happened to me a few times when I did that a few years ago. When I didn't have carbs I felt very light headed and sick. I blacked out a couple times during workouts. I don't know how people can do the no carb diet, but I know that it is possible and if you do it, it must be a lifestyle change. In other words, you can't cut carbs until you lose 20+ lbs, you'll have to cut them for good and add a small amount back in until you start to gain...find out how many you need to have in order to maintain. It's a tough diet, but if you can do it and stick to it more power to you!! :)

I lost a lot of weight 3 years ago on Weight Watchers and I swear by it.

3. REMIX

I didn't say "no carbs". I get carbohydrate intake in the form of fruits, etc. and a proper amount for my current weight (around 300 or so grams of complex carbs). Just no simple carbs. My body obviously has a tough time metabolizing sugars, etc. No lightheadness on my part, feel great and don't tire so easily. I have zero problem with this diet so far.

RMX

4. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    You're lucky...it nearly killed me. I swear, if I don't have carbs by the afternoon I feel like crap. :(

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    You need to find out why your testosterone level was low... You may need further hormone testing/MRI of the head, etc. Was it "low normal" or truly low?

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

^^^ Agreed.

It's amazing how many people are put on testosterone without a work up. After 3-6 months they get where their testicles shut down the factory permanently and then HAVE to continue the therapy! I've seen it many times. Sad.

7. Emil

Emil Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Solihull
    Full Name:
    Emil Ahmed
    congrats on the weight loss firstly

and what kind of diet was it,as in what were you eating for the low carb diet as no matter how much training i do i can't loose weight to save mylife,and i do on average about 30 miles worth of cardio work at the gym a week,with weight training on top

8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I too lost 17 lbs in the past month, basically keeping it under 2000 calories a day and doing 45 minutes on my ellipse twice a day once in the morning once at night. My buddy is a trainer at a gym he said its what he uses to get ready for his bodybuilding shows

9. REMIX

No, not truly low. If you mean like below 100 or something, not anything like that. I cannot remember the number, however.

Just low enough apparently that he felt it may be contributing to why I never felt like doing anything. I use a topical medicine right now once per day. Seems to be doing the trick. I'll be back in for another test in a month or so and I'll ask some more questions.

Essentially the same here. I sat down and figured out what I was taking in caloriewise and it was something like 2,600 to 3,000 per day and almost 700 grams of carbs!! That's like 20 sodas! No amount of elliptical is going to fix that unless you have a seriously jacked up metabolism.

I do half hour on the elliptical and lift weights for one body group at a time. One day chest, one day triceps, one day biceps, etc. I go early in the morning, so I only have enough time for that. I refuse to visit the gym in the evening.

You may want to consult with a doctor on this. My diet is like this:

Morning:
    Multivitamin
    Some coffee, nondairy creamer with Splenda so it feels sweetened
    Apple or some grapes -or-
    MetRx shake -or- South beach bar if I'm running behind.

Lunch:
    Turkey or roast beef with low glycemic, low carb wrap
    Low sugar yogurt
    Bottle of water or Crystal light

Mid-day:
    Handful of nuts or South Beach bar

Dinner:
    Grilled chicken, steak or baked or grilled fish
    Sometimes I'll do steak or chicken fajitas on a low glycemic/low carb wrap
    Salad, no dressing, no croutons (I dislike dressing)
    Water or Crystal Light
    Maybe some yogurt

Evening:
    Maybe some nuts or a MetRx shake or some fruit (apple, grapes, etc)

That's it for me.

On the weekends when I have some time, I'll make myself some eggbeaters, fry up some bacon and throw it in a wrap for breakfast. I might have a wrap with salami, turkey or roast beef with a slice of cheese for lunch. Dinner's pretty much the same as during the week.

Once every 3 weeks I cheat and eat pizza or something.

The weird thing was - before all this - I felt hungry all the time. That's pretty much gone now, except I get cravings and try to deal with them in a constructive way (i.e., water, eat some nuts or fruit, etc).

RMX

10. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB

My wife lost some 30lbs on Weight Watchers, and I lost 12 just by the change in her cooking! Worked out really well for her since she can't really exercise to any great extent. To anyone who does it though, learn to cook the WW way, don't get the meals.

And to RMX, congrats on the weight loss. I think I would still be a bit concerned as to why the numbers weren't what they should be though.

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

11. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I lost about 100lbs...but that's another story. :eek: Haha!!!! :D

12. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great thread.

I was up to 229 and decided to hit the gym. I've been going 4x a week for about three months. While I've lost inches (can tell by the belt loop), I've only lost five lbs (I know muscle is heavier than fat but c'mon now).

Before I started lifting, I cut out all soda/caffeine. My headaches went away (I had them often) but no weight loss. I probably drank a 2L of soda a day back then. Now I drink about 2L of water a day. I would have expected a 5lb drop in weight on calorie reduction alone (not substituting any other sugary drink or snacks).

I think I'll start eliminating some carbs from my diet. My goal weight is 180.

Steve

13. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    sorry stephanie but im going to rub this one in your face... WHAT? 100lbs? jesus

the whole reason why you probably blacked out all the time when you werent eating carbs was you probably werent compansating with other foods well enough, the whole idea behind it is to burn the fat immediatly rather then the carbs and then the fat, but I dont deal with that stuff, as an athlete I need as many carbs as I can get... I wish I could gain more weight to be honest

14. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Yeah, I was nearly 100lbs heavier was when I was 19-20 years old (I'm almost 24 now). Of course I wish I had never gained it in the first place, but I'm proud that I slapped myself around a bit and worked it off. Following Weight Watchers like the Bible and working out regularly did the trick, for me. I'd rather not post before and after pictures, but I'll tell ya, the difference is tremendous! It's true, though, some people just have to work harder to stay in shape than others...currently eating a salad while typing and probably running 2 miles later tonight. If that's what I have to do to look the way I do (or better) I'm for it!! :)

When I did the no carb diet it was when I only had about 20-30 lbs to lose, not 100. I had also tried many other diets and diet pills.

15. speedy4500

speedy4500 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2004
    It's funny how people spend so much money on diet plans and trainers and supplements, when it's really as simple as eating a BALANCED diet and getting regular exercise. It's really amazing how much sodium and refined sugars are in most foods people eat - just one bottle of Snapple has roughly 33% of daily suggested refined sugar intake. And most packaged foods have way more salt than is necessary. Simply drinking more water instead of soft drinks can have a big impact on your diet.

For short-term weight loss, low carb may get results... but a balanced diet will be more beneficial in the long run and it's the route I decided to take. It may have taken me longer to lose weight, but I think it will be easier to maintain. Lately I've been trying to eat as much natural and non-preservative food as possible - whole grains, raw fruits and veggies, fresh cuts of meat, etc. I am cooking my own meals from scratch more and more so I can control the sodium and sugar content (plus the meals taste pretty damn good too). It's tough at first, but after a while it's difficult to imagine eating all the garbage that I used to eat.

16. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    well good for you, that is something to be proud of... the weight watchers did better for you then the miracle pills right?

17. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Of course. When I was taking the diet pills I was just eating less nachos. LMAO!! :D

18. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    seriously when my trainer explained it to me I just got to work....think of it this way....every 1 lb=3500 calories

me running on ellipse for 45 min=600 calories x twice a day = 1200 calories

1200 calories/day x 7 days a week = 8400 calories/week or 2.5 lbs give or take I'm keeping off. The number is actually higher because you burn calories doing nothing, there was some calculator I wanna say BMI but dont hold me to it, you punch in some numbers and it tells you how much you burn doing nothing in a day so add that number in too. Also I drank 1 unsweetened green tea everyday....had to hold my nose to do it....but it supposedly burns 80 calories alone in a day bc it raises your metabolism

19. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    hmm..... no.

20. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Way to go!!! Kristy (my wife) would love to loose about 10lbs more, but they just won't budge. She's been stuck in the same place for about a year, and we think exercise is likely, and unfortunately, the key. I wish I knew of a way for her to loose more as I know she's disappointed, but I haven't come up with anything. But, I do tell her I think she's sexy, everyday!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

21. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Congrats man, that's a big loss in a short amount of time. And congrats to everyone else who has had and trying to lose weight. Good for yall!!! :)

I personally would just limit yourself to no pastas, bread, potatoes, etc completely. I would indulge from time to time. Especially if you're going to the gym everyday. Just my $0.02. But then again, you know what works for you. Continued success!

22. Emil

Emil Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Solihull
    Full Name:
    Emil Ahmed
    sounds good ,thanks

23. NUTS

NUTS Rookie

Jun 4, 2005
    Southern Alaska
    Full Name:
    Donte B. Anashol
    I lost 43 lbs in 1.5 days, after I got to the camp spot I was hiking to (backpack)

24. REMIX

As of today, lost right around 20lbs so far. Tonight I dug out my last 3rd Class FAA medical from late 03 and was 207 back then. I was 206 this morning. I don't think I've been lower than my FAA med weight since before Oct 03. I was in insane shape back in 02, so that's probably the last time I weighed below 207.

Feel great. I saw some photos of myself from a show I played at yesterday and think I'm looking pretty spiffy indeed! :)

Another 20 lbs to go and I'm back at my optimal weight. 185 is just about right for me - I weighed that around 1998.

RMX

25. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Awesome man!

Don't get surprised if the additional weight seems to get tougher to shed. Just stay with it, and you'll be your desired weight before you know it.

Again, continued success. Good luck making through Turkey Day too. I bet that was tough.