456 Alternator | FerrariChat

456 Alternator

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by amphijim, Nov 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amphijim

amphijim Rookie

Jun 21, 2006
    San Pedro, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim Z
    My alternator failed the other day while on a drive (had to flatbed the car home - booo). We removed it and discovered it is a rather ordinary Nippondenso unit, and know from the manual that it has an output of 140 amps (when it's working). The indications I'm getting are that it's about a $1k part from Ferrari. Ok, but if I can do better I will. Has anyone had any experience in getting one rebuilt, or found a comparable part from another manufacturer?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Jim

2. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I think a 456 alternator was advertised in the most recent FCA newsletter.

3. hakan

hakan Karting

Aug 30, 2006
    Istanbul
    Full Name:
    Hakan Aytac
    Mine failed during Gumball 3000 in the mountains of Macedonia.. Found a subaru alternator beefed up the plates and used it without any problems. I bought mine through Harmony Auto Sports. It was around 900 USD I believe. I think that alternator is your best bet. I would stay with the original. High RPM cars tend to be hard on the alternator in high rev drives.

4. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Can you provide more details? Which subaru model car, year?

Thanks.
    Alberto

5. hakan

hakan Karting

Aug 30, 2006
    Istanbul
    Full Name:
    Hakan Aytac
    we did the subaru alternator since we were hopelessly stuck in the mountains during a rally. I dont remember the model we pretty much took what ever we could find.. found an expert to beef up the plates.
    subaru alternator alone only gives out 110 amps if I remember correctly. so we used it for another 3000 miles than bought a Ferrari Alternator. I would not suggest going that route..

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yup and it only cost me $100 to do it. :D

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142329

The rebuild was for my 348, but it still has the Nippondenso alternator. Be sure to read through the entire thread. Also read through the original link that listed the part numbers. I posted it in my right up, but here it is again anyway http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124504 We discuss what rectifier has the correct size bolt, and some one found the parts even CHEAPER than I did, hows $40 sound.

Happy wrenching.