Opinions Please: F430, F360, F355 or Gallardo | FerrariChat

Opinions Please: F430, F360, F355 or Gallardo

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FMV, Nov 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FMV

FMV Rookie

Nov 12, 2007
    Hi All,

I'm thinking of adding either an F430, F355, F360, or Gallardo to the stable [all preowned low mileage]. Any opinions as to their relative merits would be greatly appreciated. I'm most interested in their relative handling characteristics, and driving fun factor. Any opinions as to which car might be the best "value", in terms of purchase price and ongoing maintenance costs, would be immensely appreciated as well. Thanks.

-RS

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
  3. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    For price of maintaining the car, nothing beats a car under warranty(430, Gallardo, some newer 360's)

I personally would get a Gallardo.

Mainly because the sound is AMAZING.

4. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You just mentioned four cars that are in completely different price ranges.

A 355 will go for $80k-100k

A 360 will go from $110k-160k

A Gallardo will go for $120k-$200k

A 430 will go for $230k-300k+ with current markups. Just so you know!!!

What do you drive for? Do you track or compete in motorsports? Do you want the quickest lap times?

What do you enjoy about driving?

They're all outstanding cars! Quite different, though.

5. Sieze Giorno

Sieze Giorno Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2005
    Florida
    Subscribing...because this us my dilemma F550/F575 vs Gallardo...

6. FMV

FMV Rookie

Nov 12, 2007
    I'm looking for a car that's involving to drive -- very tactile, lot's of feedback. I would probably track the car a few times with the focus on having fun and improving my driving skills. As of right now** , I'm not too interested in having the quickest lap times. It would also be nice to own a car that's unique/special enough to consider part of a collection [I may have considered the Lotus Exige if this wasn't important, and it wasn't too small].

As far as price, I'm OK with the prices for 360's and Gallardos; however, if the 430 was the real "value", I would step up. Purchase price is in some sense secondary to expected depreciation and maintenance costs if I kept the car for say 5 years. Part of what I do for a living involves value investing, so I'd feel great if I purchased an excellent car that might be overly discounted because, relative to newer models, it's less interesting.

** Who knows what I'll think in the future :).

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    As far as involvement and handling goes.....the 360 Challenge Stradale or the Gallardo will keep you smiling!

8. ringmeister

ringmeister Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2005
    NJ
    Sounds like the exact car you are describing is a Challenge Stradale.

9. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  10. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well you have to narrow your focus a little, IMO....

355's have a known failure pattern now of overcooking the inner cylinders, despite the dreaded valve stem issue....so, figure purchase price PLUS a new engine if you are going long term ownership there.....

The 360 is now Last Year's News for sure and will litter the car lots as the complicated computer systems see age and wear, a six speed might prevent heartache there, F1 not so much..as noted the Stradale closed out the line in typical Ferrari fashion, track car legal for the street...blah, blah, blah....BUT if they were looking for true driver involvment, why were they ALL F1 boxes? Not a one was made as a manual 6 speed.

The 430 improves upon the 360 in almost every way technically, if you can forgive the Maserati engine block casting.....:rolleyes:
    And the styling, the whole 360/430 thing is something that turns you 'on', or not. The 430 owners I have known are very happy with them, again in my crowd 6 speeds are common, although again the Challenge cars are all F1 boxes, so bring your wallet.

The Gallardo is a very viable alternative, V10 over a V8, and the recent lightweight edition is badass! Seen it personally upon the introduction here at the dealership.........again, IMO ONLY, I'd avoid the EGear like the plague. I know a Murci owner here that gave it back, based upon constant problems with the system.

HTH.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #12 BigTex, Nov 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #13 BigTex, Nov 13, 2007
  14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nice problem to have...........no?????

15. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    I'll take the two girls :)

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The one on the left is spoken for....;)

17. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Beggar's cant be chooser's so I'll take the one on the right LOL!

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #18 BigTex, Nov 13, 2007
  19. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    \

I'm impressed with the answers given to the orginal poster, particularly the two I've quoted here. All of the answers, when digested, will help this guy make a good decision. This is when FerrariChat really shines.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks, brudda!!! :D :D :D

We are here for you, lurking on the Internet..............LOL!

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I forgot the 355 header issue, and I do know some happy Lambo guys with Egear.........

It's like women there IS no RIGHT answer that fits everyone, it's a matter of subtle variations on a common theme.....:D

22. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "Lamborghini wants you to believe the 5.0-liter V-10 engine is an all-new creation. Fact is, the V-10 is built alongside Audi’s 4.2-liter V-8 at the engine plant in Gyoýr, Hungary. Essentially, the V-10 is the all-aluminum V-8 with two extra cylinders. Both share the 90-degree angle (forcing engineers to offset the crankshaft pins of the V-10 by 18 degrees to ensure even firing at every 72 degrees of crankshaft rotation), the 88-millimeter bore centers, and the 92.8mm stroke, and the V-10’s 82.5mm bore is just 2mm narrower than the V-8’s. They even share the same chain drive to quad camshafts." Car & Driver 7/2003

"Thank the people’s-car people in Wolfsburg. [... ]To get Lamborghini to bleed black, Audi has leveraged the brains in its aluminum construction center in Neckarsulm, Germany, to supply the Gallardo’s alloy space frame." Car & Driver 2/2004

"[...] There's more than just Audi money in this car. There's an aluminum space-frame body built and painted in an Audi-owned factory. There's a V-10 version of the all-aluminum Audi V-8 nestling just behind the passenger compartment". Car & Driver, 9/2003

If any Ferrari's engine was designed and built by FIAT of Poland, and the body built and assembled in an disused AlfaSud factory in Naples, would you ever consider it a Ferrari?

Adriano Pignatelli likes this.
  23. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Is there a thread on this, I've missed?

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Well said.
    Be a man and step up to a Maserati!!!
    :)

25. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    Are you serious? Ferrari has outsourced all types of components for years, GM automatic trannys(412) Saab alternators, Audi window regulators, (in the 355) heck they even use Cadillac sourced magnetic ride suspension in the 599!

Yet we all love and worship our Ferraris, whats the problem?