Which Ferrari grew on you? | FerrariChat

Which Ferrari grew on you?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PrettyBoy, Nov 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PrettyBoy

PrettyBoy Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    Has there ever been a Ferrari that you didn't care for that much at 1st, but then it grew on you, and after it grew on you, you started to love it?

For me, at 1st I didn't really like the 612 Scaglietti. I wasn't a big fan of the styling. Maybe it was the color, but it looks great in red. I don't know what I was thinking about, but I'm a big fan of the styling now. It's a great looking car. Very clean lines.

2. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    355 for sure. I thought it was frumpy, but I love it now!!

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Enzo

First pic was awful. Now i love it.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Believe it or not DIno 308GT4. Hated them at first, but now the look has really grown on me.

It is so completely retro 70's that I love them.

DM

5. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    mondial. hated them, but then rode in one, now i love em.

6. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    F40 and Enzo. F40 took 10+ years to get comfortable and the Enzo took a year. Still do not like the F50.

7. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    There are a few actually. The 612 first of all, I think the general consensus on the car from the beginning was that it was ugly, but the more I look at it, the more I realize its beauty. The 348 also grew on me. I don't remember it as being THAT nice, but you see one and its just beautiful. Also pretty much all the vintage F-cars. I guess its because I grew up in the 90s but now I see one and its like "Holy crap!" They really are timeless when you think about it.

8. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I had a Matchbox 375 and also a Boxer. Among all my other Matchbox exotics the Boxer was somewhat lost, but a Ferrari that looked like my Dad's Ford (I was YOUNG!) seemed really cool to me. I knew my Dad would never buy a real sports car (his '60 T Bird convertible in 1970 was as close as he'd come to one) but I knew he'd buy a car that looked like the 375. And it was a FERRARI! Of course, he never did.

When Magnum PI came out, I fell in love with the 308 like everyone else. That's when I learned the difference between that and a Dino 246. I never was in to Miami Vice and I liked the 308 better than the Testarossa anyway.

Ken

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    308's
    288 GTO
    BB12 Boxer
    F-40
    F-430 F1 Spider

10. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    Enzo

I never really liked it.. but then after a while I got used to it. I added this car to my wish list.

11. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Always loved the razor sharp shape of the 308, which was accentuated by black bumpers that I could stylistically ignore. The blunt front bumper, body-colored, on the 328s took some getting used to for me. I got over it as soon as one was in my garage...

12. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I never hated the GT4, I just never cared for them that much until the past few years. The look started to grow on me with that '70's retro styling, THEN I drove one. THAT did it for me!!! I was hooked and just had to have one. It's one heck of a fun car. :) I'm so very glad that I bought one.

JIM
    '74 GT4

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #14 Bullfighter, Nov 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree on the 612. Oddly, given that it's the least in demand, I think it's the best looking of the current model range, especially the 'sessanta' edition. I don't think red is its best color, however. There's a nero metallico 612 at Symbolic Motors in San Diego right now (or it was there last weekend) and it puts everything else in the modern showroom to shame.

Initially I felt the same, but now the 308 looks overly pointy to me, and the 328 looks more muscular. But, given a black Euro 308 GTS with the deep spoiler I could go for either car (if I wasn't already married to the one in my garage, I mean...)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. hnko

hnko Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Quebec
    Full Name:
    nico

I can believe you , it s the same for me !
    first time i see it I think it is a datsun !!
    but now i realy love the desing

15. nray

nray Rookie

Nov 4, 2007
    Quebec city
    Full Name:
    Nik
    For me it's the F355 and the 599. I did not really care for them but now I love their looks. F40 is also growing on me.

16. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    612, 599, F50
    edit - oh, and 550.

Enzo I hated at first, still don't like it. :p

17. XR4turbo

XR4turbo Rookie

Jul 11, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Lucien
    The enzo. I hated the styling when it first came out...it has now become my favorite modern Ferrari! Its a toss up between it, the 250GTO and the 330GT for favorite Ferrari of all time. When you add performance into that equation...well...its all over.

18. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Honestly, the 360 and I'm not sure its totally grown on me yet, but its better now. I remember when it first came out and I was like "Whats with the glass over the engine?!?! That looks stupid!" and "Why is it shaped so curvey, Ferrari's are supposed to have angles (its a Ferrari not a Ford Taurus)".....

Someone on FChat once said it was a "jellybean", I hit the floor laughing when I read that.....

Its growing on me, still think the 308 thru 355s are my favorite, including the super ferraris (F40, F50, Enzo). They all have angles, beautiful angles.

The bubble-car is growing on me, though.

James in Denver

19. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I'm in the same boat. I never really liked the 308GT4, but in the last two or three years, I really have started to dig them. I especially like the red over black Boxer paint scheme on it.

And you might all flame me, but I never really cared for the 365 GTB/4. Until recently, I felt the coupe looked too big and heavy. The GTS/4 (like in "Gumball") looked attractive to my eyes, but not the coupe. In the last year or so, after all these decades, the Berlinetta started to really grow on me.

I used to think the 550 looked too plain. About two or three years into production, I started to really love the simple elegance of the lines.

20. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    CAll me crazy but when I first saw the Mondial in a magazine I thought it was ugly. it was also the first Ferrari I saw in person and I was in love. The car I saw was a convertible. I still don't like the looks of the hard top Mondial but love that vert. I will probably never own one because of the age of the car at this point.

21. PrettyBoy

PrettyBoy Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    I agree. I wasn't a big fan of Ferrari switching to Bertone for that car, but I like it now and they sound great!

22. PrettyBoy

PrettyBoy Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    One Ferrari that hasn't grown on me still is the 275 GTB. It's always looked like a 62' GTO that is not yet overweight but is becoming overweight. It's styling resembles someone trying to squeeze into old clothes that are now too tight to wear. I know I'm not making sense, but I don't know how else to word it. Maybe if I saw one in person, I would probably grow to like it.

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've had the good fortune to see one up close at my Ferrari tech's shop. And yes, you would. ;)

24. XR4turbo

XR4turbo Rookie

Jul 11, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Lucien
    Yes I saw and took pictures of one at Ferrari of Houston. Breathtakingly gorgeous.