Last two problems with my TR, Need help... | FerrariChat

Last two problems with my TR, Need help...

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by KENCO, Nov 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    My idle seems to go up to 1500-1600 rpms at times, I can kick it back down into regular 1000-1100 rpm mode by snapping the throttle like an old carb engine. What should I look for, NOT CARPET- CHECKED. Could it be the TPS?

The other thing is, the car runs fantastic, purrs and really is great to drive, but at times I will be stopped at a light, foot off clutch and it will just die, instantly, like the ignition just cut out, if I turn key off and restart all is back to normal, always re-starts no problem. Any thoughts?

2. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    i had a similar problem on my 328. it went away on its own after a few drives. how long have you had this problem? mine happened after the car had been sitting for a while. drive it most of the next week and see what happens.

3. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Started about three weeks ago, I drive once per week.

4. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Sounds like it could be an adjustment screw on the throttle body. I had a similar issue for a bit of time. It could also be a a cold start valve that is staying open.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not so sure a TPS problem would cause the idle RPM to be bimodal, but why not readjust/check mechanically and check electrically?

If the TPS isn't working electrically, it can cause stalling when coming to a stop (but not sure if this is what you are reporting).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Thanks 91tr, You had already walked me thru the checking and adjustment of the TPS, and it seemed to be normal, I may check it again. The problem almost seems as if something is sticking, is there a cam or cable problem area?

Also, no stalling at stop.

7. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Have a look at pivot were the gas peddle is connected in the footwell

I have had this on my 308,

It accumulates dirt and every thing else,

Good luck

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That thing sure is dirty...a little carb cleaner would remove that varnish and crud which would make it look much better...

9. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Sounds like that could be the problem I will check it out, thanks!

10. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Where would one adjust the screw on the throttle body(s)?

And if I un-hook the cold start valvs, that should help me see if that is the cause, correct?

11. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Check the throttle cable with the throttle bodies closed, there should be a tiny bit of slack - it should not be taught. Also look at the return springs on each throttle body to see that things are clean and move freely from wide open to fully closed. Try cleaning and lubricating things in this area. If an Aux. Air Valve is sticking open, an easy test is...while the engine is idling at 1500rpms or so....pinch shut the air lines feeding into the lower air diffuser housings, if the idle speed goes down then you've found your problem. But I sorta doubt it's one of the aux. air valves. I would look closely to see that both throttle bodies are synchronized, meaning they open and close at exactly the same time. Verify the throttle cable tension at rest. Clean and Lube stuff. Let us know how things work out.

12. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    All sounds like good things to check.

13. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

That isn't his engine.
    Its just a photo used for reference.

The extra fitting is the give away that it is Euro spec.

14. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    OK, I checked the gas pedal, seems to be OK. Checked the linkage at the other end and it seems to be a little sticky, I think I need to look at the butterflies, what is the best way to check for proper operation?

I adjusted the air control screws a bit, but now it wants to hunt for idle when I come down off acceleration.

I think I need to check everything to do with the air intake, any tips?

Should I replace the TPS?

15. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Since your now seeing idle-hunting, try and adjust the air bypass screws back to their original positions if you can remember them, because you now have an idle imbalance between the cylinder banks. As for checking the throttle butterflies, I wouldn't do that until I was sure that the throttle linkages are cleaned and lubed, and synchronized properly. The only way to actually see the throttle butterflies is to remove the upper intake plenums - not a big deal to do - but they are not usually the problem.

16. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Is it possible that there is a vacuum leak?

17. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    So far the way things seem to have progressed in this thread, I don't think a vacuum leak has been created - at least not yet :) A vacuum leak would make adjusting the fuel mixture at idle/driving impossible. A simple way to check for a vacuum leak is to spray something (like wd-40 or other product - that when injested will change the idle speed or characteristics of the engine) at all the intake system joints and observe any changes. If the car was running very well in all regards except for the "sticky throttle" syndrome, I feel it's a mechanical issue somewhere. It could even be the throttle cable itself. I would do a methodical check, clean, lube, and adjustment of everything, and only when I'm sure those things are right would I look elsewhere.

I hope you find the problem. Let us know if you have anymore questions, and keep us posted....

18. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG

Carguy,

I did lube the throttle linkage, and it does not seem to be dirty. What I did notice is that when the linkage should return to its stop, it was not fully back at the stop, with a firm finger push it would return back to its rest, just a small difference between the two.

Seems like something is sticking somewhere, I guess I have to pull some stuff up top so I can really see everything, Time is not a luxury I have in the next few weeks , so it may have to wait.

I agree that my balance is off, set it by ear last night, drove today and its back to its old hunting, I will set it back respectable tonight with my synchronizer.

PS, thanks for always chiming in to help out other fellow TR owners!

19. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm happy to help if I can - I'm just an enthusiast like most here on fchat. Here is something very quick and easy to try. Take a look at the throttle cross-shaft that links both throttle bodies and the accelerator cable together. Loosen, but do not remove, the two 13mm nuts that secure the end bearing brackets to the lower air diffuser housings...loosen the nuts maybe 2 or 3 turns only...and then see if things are still binding at the point of throttle closure.

I've seen times where I'm assembling everything on top of a TR motor back together and tightening things down, and notice that the throttles will stick or bind just like your describing. Sometimes I've had to loosen and carefully retorque several bolts and nuts back down, and voila....the binding is gone.

Try this and see what happens.....Good Luck...!

20. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I will.............Thanks!

21. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #21 kerrywittig, Nov 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not to brag.......but..........I showed this "fix" to the Seattle Washington Ferrari dealer a couple months ago when I was in their showroom looking at a TR they had for sale. The salesperson was commenting that the car was a pain to get in the showroom because it would idle high and that the pedal needed to be "flicked"and then it would idle properly. I told him I had a pretty good idea what it was and he then.......unlocked..........the doors so I could show him.....................We had a great conversation 45 minutes, after that "moment", about a variety of subject concerning the world of automobiles.............funny how if your wearing an Ozzy Osbourne hoodie and faded black jeans how your "treated", and then when they see you actually do know a bit about their trophy cars how quickly Ralph Lauren and Rolexs all of a sudden are not the uniform required...............anyway............

What sometimes happens is that the aluminum sheet metal that is carpeted and is part of the center console/tunnel side panels gets bumped ever so slightly and causes the aluminum to bend just a tad and it interferers with the pedal retracting all the way back to an idle position. I had this same problem after I re-did my carpeting and installed a stainless steel console control panel........... and I lubed and I dismantled and I adjusted and I replaced and I cleaned and I repeated every step on my TR's throttle linkage path. Finally I reached behind the panel and pulled it towards me a bit and problem was fixed................10 hours of R & R...10 seconds to "fix".................Hopefully this is the problem..........Kerry

22. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Very infrequently mine does this too. A little higher, around 2000 RPM, and then a blip of the throttle and she's back to 1050 pefect.

I've lubed and checked the path also so might look at Kerry's fix next.

Thanks all.

23. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG

Kerry, I checked the pedal many times, but did not check the exact part you are referring to, I will check to-night.

I put in new TPS, seems more stable, but I got the ohms the best I could to 0.00, it seems to be very touchy, I drove into work today and I am getting the old drop down to 750 rpm and then back to normal, so I will try and adjust the ohms better to-night.

Is it when the TPS is set dead on...................that should be it? What I mean is..........is there anything else that would be down the line working in conjuction with the TPS, that may make it so touchy?

OZZY IS COOL!

24. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Do this:

Check your gas pedal. When the car starts to surge, pull the gas pedal forward (towards the driver's seat). I bet you that the idle will go back down. If that is the cas then your pedal needs some adjusting. Just speaking from experience.

25. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Pedal does not seem to be sticking, just checked.

I believe the sticking is in the linkage, need to really take it all apart.

The car does seem to run better with the new TPS, and possibly not acting up, I need to drive it some more to really see if it is true, or just intermitent.