PPI where in Seattle, Dupont, Tacoma | FerrariChat

PPI where in Seattle, Dupont, Tacoma

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ndnguyen, Nov 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ndnguyen

ndnguyen Karting

Jul 27, 2005
    Where would one go for a PPI on a TR in Dupont or Tacoma? I'd rather not send the car to Ferrari of Seattle since it's been serviced there. Thanks.

Nguyen

2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Alfa of Tacoma

3. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I would suggest that you can also call Bret at Madrona Autoworks in Olympia. Bret is an F-Chatter (Bartmondial), a ASE Master Mechanic and former airplane mechanic (so he's one of those great detail-oriented guys). He recently sold his personal Mondial, but he's worked on my 328 GTS, as well as other Mondials, 308 GTS QV, F355 etc... Number is (360) 866-8615. A great, honest, smart guy.

And to be quite honest, I've been hearing more than just one or two isolated complaints about Alfa of Tacoma lately.

4. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Have you tried calling and asking FOS about the car? Even if FOS has serviced the car they are not going to risk their reputation by overlooking items on a PPI. Just because they have serviced the car does not mean the client addressed the items recomended to him.

5. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    By the way, according to the post by Windsock in the other topic regarding this car:

"Car has issues. I'll leave it at that."

So you might want to at least PM him to find out what he knows about the car prior to spending the coin on a PPI. You'll find that there aren't many F-cars in this region that can go on the market without an F-Chatter knowing much of the dirt on it.

Cheers,
    Sam

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If FoS isn't selling it, personally I'd consider taking it there. If they have been doing the work on it, they may very well know the weak points in a way that someone seeing it for the first time might miss.

7. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    That would be news to me as I have known Carlo for years. If you are going to sling mud, please back it up with something otherwise you end up being the one to look silly.

8. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    +1

I have known Carlo for over 10 years now and there is no one better than him, especially when it comes to the older cars. Sammyb obviously does not know Carlo and AoT very well.

9. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    +2. Carlo did a great job on my 512 TR.

10. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    +3 Carlo is great.

11. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I think you will see a lot of +'s here Sammy. Carlo and Lino are a NW institution and dropping hints with negative connotations will never go over well. Of course it's hard to tell intent in a written post and you may have heard legitimate complaints but...... it really doesn't look good when you recommend your friends shop and drop negative hints about Carlo in the same post, especially without backing them up.

In talking with Bob down in Cali he highly recommends Bret and his shop and I do intend to make it down there one of these days. It never hurts to have more options for good mechanics. In fact, I'm right about in the middle between Tacoma and Olympia so having a good shop in either direction would be outstanding.

I've never been a fan of airing grievances in public (real, perceived, firsthand, or otherwise) and I don't think doing that in this case will improve the situation at all.

To the original poster, I really don't think you will go wrong with any of the recommendations that have been posted so far. All of these shops have earned a good reputation for a reason. Give a couple of them a call and see which one can fit you in to best suit your needs.

Good luck with the search and don't be afraid to post more questions if you need.

John

12. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    You debonair little devil. :):)

13. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    +4,5, and 6 to Carlo. He is the only mechanic I would ever trust blindly. He is doing the rebuild on my 308 and has called in favors from his friends around the country to track down parts. I've never had a mechanic do so much to help me out. I can't even begin to post how gracious he is....

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I do try, and I have heard good things about the shop Sammy mentioned. I know good things about AOT though.

Hey I need to get your lenses back to you to but I keep forgetting to call you. Pick a night and and place and I'd like to take you and Christie out dinner. Consider it a rental fee with a late charge. I should have had them back to you a long time ago!!

Give me a call when you get time, or I'll try calling you. I know this may not be the best week due to the Holiday, but whenever you want is fine for me!!

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

16. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR

Please to be careful when dealing at Sicilians ...

17. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Napolis.... even crazier....

18. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    As just a guy off the street I stopped in and spoke with Carlo in length this summer as an "expected parent" of a Ferrari in the future. He set his wrench down and we walked through the shop and spoke for about an hour. He goes out of his way for everyone that walks in the door. I beleive he takes what he does personally and does it with passion. If there's one thing that would upset Carlo, its people that don't take care of thier cars.

Ciao`
    Brian