F40 current prices, reminds me of the 90's | FerrariChat

F40 current prices, reminds me of the 90's

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by coachi, Nov 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    The thought has occurred to me that there seems to be some similarity between the rapidly rising prices of F40's in the late 80's to the early 90's, only to be followed by a big plummet. I see pristine cars being offered for sale at healthy prices compared to a year or two ago and wonder if this is a signal of history repeating itself.

Of course, if you own your car to enjoy driving it, it hardly matters. I know we dont have crystal balls to see the future. Just an interesting thought.

Chime in, please.

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Agreed. I've thought that for awhile now, esp since "muscle cars" have been bringing more than F-Cars or Duesies/Bugattis(real ones). A bit more specific cars than last bubble, but the uncertainty is similar. SLR and Carrera GT sales flops also of note, either can be bought either as new or new for 75-100 back. F-cars still the "bankable" ones. Daytonas doing same as they did then as well. Most guys didn't live through that curious time, the ones that did won't do it again.

3. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    I think the '90's prices were premature and pure speculation...I think current prices reflect more on the cars place in history and its recognition as a true classic.

As such, I doubt prices will see the big plummet seen in the '90s...maybe a minor adjustment if things really get hairy, but the strong Euro and emerging wealth in other markets will keep demand strong.

Personally, I see these cars reaching and exceeding $1mill in the next 5 yrs...especially in the US market.

4. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    A 900 mile '05 CGT just sold for 420k....original msrp 445k....a 5% depreciation over 2 yrs ain't bad.

If you can find a delivery mileage or near new '05 CGT for less than 400k, buy it and flip it...it will be easy money.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    $1 million for an F40 in 5 years? I don't know...they made over 1,300. I can see US F50s coming near that price in 5 years, but I think for F40s, it may be a tad early.

6. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas

I think if euro cars can come in, then that might be harder to get to....however, with less than 213 US cars to go around, things can go up in a hurry.

Case in point, same car that was bought for 450k earlier this year could now fetch 650k if the owner decided to sell...

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Woah, seriously? I haven't checked up on it for the past few months. I saw about $400k-$450k not too long ago. What kinda of condition was it for the 650? Less thank 1k miles?

Btw, Euro cars can be imported without having to meet federal DOT/EPA standards. I think the minimum age for that is 21 years for EPA and 25 for DOT. So in about 5 years, you'll start to see Euro F40s imported with no trouble at all. :)

8. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Thing is, Euro prices are almost on par with US prices...things have gone up everywhere.

As for recent F40 prices, one sold at Miller Motor Cars for 640k, 1300 miles I believe...just recently....confirmed this after speaking with Steve at the dealership

Another with less than 1000 miles, sold for 735k from SVAG

Recent sale of 3100mile car, >500k

Others, exact details foggy, but recall prices 550k-650k, this year.

All of these prices are moot points to owners like myself who have NO intention of parting with them....that may be a factor for the rise as well...

9. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Could be when the lists go away and you're able to score a 599 or Scuderia at window, or slight discount, Fortys and the like might level off some?

10. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Totally agree....

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I think the falling value of the dollar will help keep Euro cars overseas. 5 years ago, it would have been worth to import them because of the difference in value, but now that's all gone. Should be interesting to see how things turn out in the next few years.

Btw, what was the asking price for that prototype F40 that went up for auction from Canada (I think)? The one with the 5 vertical slots on the side of the engine cover and different rear glass window. Also, are those prices you said the actual selling price or asking price? I'm not too familiar with price negotiations on supercars if there are any. :)

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Those are what they sold for....

13. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrades,

And of course the single most important thing to underpin values is likely to be the Ferrari Classiche Certification that is now available for the F-40.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

14. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    As I've stated previously I think that paying 200K over the value for a sensible car with 5-10K miles for a car with 500-1500 miles, is in my opinion foolish. Clearly some want that, and certainly its a good car to "have" and enter in events etc, but if you drive that 500 mile car another 5000 miles you're looking at burning at least 200K in today's dollars.

I'd say that the number of these "special" cars moving is a leading indicator of the top of the market, whoda thunk there were so many ultra-low miles F40s that would suddenly hit the market. One might also speculate that there were a few non-car people out there that bought an F40 way back when with the view to making a killing flipping it and when the market crashed just held on to it, could be a few of those scenarios have just been sold.

15. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas

I think you are right Dan...I also think that top end has pulled the entire market of F40's up. The 495k ask on the 13k mile F40 would have been laughed at a year ago...now it is almost reasonable.

16. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Graham,

I personally don't think Classiche certification will affect values of good, straight cars. They will always be recognized for what they are, and the Classiche program will be recognized for the money making enterprise that it is.

17. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    its not just the f40....look at Dino, and boxer prices all of a sudden....you see it happening to the 308 glass cars as well just this summer. As more buyers are into 360s,430s and the like, the true enthusist i think and feel will want a special piece. That special piece is the f40, the 288GTO, the Dinos, the 308 glass...and the likes. Its not the 80s or 90s all over again....its the passion clients......... moving on the cars they want that not everyone can get.

18. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    +1 to everything you said. There might be lots of F40s but they are making their way into true enthusiasts hands.

Just 2 years ago people thought my friend was crazy for trying to get $80,000 for her Boxer... now look at the asking prices.

Dino prices, those are just insane compared to a few years ago.

19. RED HEAD

RED HEAD Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    H
    Its all relative. Compare cars to Art - you can look at them and better still drive them. Some crazy prices are being acheived in the art world so surely some of these cars are comparatively 'good value'?.......I know which I would rather have!

20. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    With prices of new cars approaching and exceeding $300k, interesting classics become alternatives. Daytona, or 599?

21. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Dream on

22. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Cars are a huge bargain compared with art. I am heavily into art and the prices make my head spin. Cars are chump change in comparison - even iconic cars like 250 SWB

23. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    That is the point exactly. Many good cars are in strong hands and they will only trade when the owner wants to buy something else. Very different from a Japanese fueled bubble. As new collectors enter the market from other parts of the world which had previously not been participants, demand for collectible Ferraris can only increase. Unlike Japanese fueled bubble, this is a global phenomenon based on emerging markets maturing and developing a motorsport culture. You just have to look at China as an example

24. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Hmmm.

Jas I thought by your own declarations on this site that you were an "enthusiast" who will "never sell my F40" so I find it interesting to see you speculating with your well-informed 'Crystal Ball' about future F40 values....it seems at odds with the disposition of a long-term collector.

I can assure you that half the long-term collectors I deal with dont know about and dont care about current values, and this seems consistent with their position that the car is going to their children so why waste time following values? They certainly dont 'speculate' about future values!!

In another thread you repeatedly made the point that real enthusiasts didnt care nor speculate about the increasing values of the sportscars they own and yet now here you are extolling the virtues of upwardly-mobile F40 values. LOL. Talk about switching (prancing) horses amidstream! Preach the word my man. F40 owners, myself included, cant complain :)

At any rate as a multiple F40 owner myself Im pleased that you have such confidence in the values, but I dont share your view that the USA F40 will be in excess of $1 million in 5 years. 211 examples is not ultra-rare and and I see a gentle levelling-off in the marketplace as is evident to me in my day-to-day dealings therein. Id love to be proven wrong...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

25. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    ... so why track them, discuss them, and even SPECULATE about them?

Inquiring minds would like to know. Just a fair question, thats all.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com