Modern 400's | FerrariChat

Modern 400's

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by pks41805, Nov 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pks41805

pks41805 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2007
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Full Name:
    Paul Sloan
    A new trend in the UK is to take an older car ( Aston, Jag, Jensen ect ) and add more of an updated running gear, ie brakes, engine cooling ,air-con ect. Has any member here done something like this to his/her auto? If so what? Or what would you modernize?

2. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    There's a similar trend with old Corvettes and hot rods in general...they aren't Ferraris, but if you have the time to look, it's some really interesting stuff.

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
  4. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Its called a 612 Scaglietti :p

You might all crucify and stone me to death for saying this, but I'd love to put F360 running gear into a 206/246 Dino. I just think the 206/246 has the most timeless curves and lines, and still looks amazingly 'retro' fresh even today, nearly 40 years on from its birth!

Andrew :)

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    No modern drivetrain can sound like the original 6 webers sucking fuel and air...

6. Timp

Timp Rookie

Oct 8, 2005
    I'm in the process of converting my 400A to a modern 5 speed. I'll share specs etc. once its done just before Xmas. I think the GM automatic box is a relatively criminal addition to the engine !! With a modern racing clutch and some lower 1st and 2nd gearing I'm optimistic the driving experience might be one up on the original 5 speed.

I also had the brake fluid changed to one with double the boiling point of the original. I boiled my brake fluid coming down hill on the Malibu mountains ... not a recommended thing to do. All seems fine now.

After some electrical problems I now also have an Audi alternator which upped the output two fold from the original and stopped me burning through batteries.

Cheers

7. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    What kind of gearbox are you using? We were looking at doing this to one of our 400A's before the 456GT came along, and basically concluded to use something similar to a Tremec TKO, or a gearbox out of a R33 GTS (same as GTR innards). We were also investigating the options of using a transaxle aswell.

Have you ever driven a 365/400 Manual? You will obviously know no-doubt as to the stiffness of the clutch pedal, and how tight the gearbox feel is! Just has to be one of the worlds best feelings driving a 400GT, being such a manly experience. I often say to myself that I can really feel the racing technology (from its day) in the car!

Do keep us updated, and post some pics.

Andrew :)

8. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    Are you using the Doug Nash/Richmond Gear 5-speed with a Chevy bellhousing? It seems like a natural swap. Same output shaft. Plus the extra low 3.25:a 1st gear. I may do it myself :) Just need to work out the flywheel situation.

9. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Interesting!

Theres always another option:

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partsListing2.asp?G=40

Ferrari 412 - GEARBOX COMPLETE 412M-LHD
    Part No. 126575 - NEW

Will This Fit My Car? (Click To Find out)

NEW
    In Stock
    £3,446.03

10. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Once you have the manual tranny in, you won't need the brakes all that much any more... just use your engine (and enjoy the sounds it'll make then - especially when you'd have weber carbs on there, pop pop pop, throwing flames from the exhaust :D)

+1 on the criminal addition charge of the auto slushbox!!!

Hans

11. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Pfew! That's what - $7K for that gearbox???

How about the clutch pedal? The 400A's brake pedal is likely too wide too.

I like the idea of a transaxle!!! Have a box in mind???

Hans

12. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You would need a new pedal box, and the appropriate clutch slave cylinder etc etc.

I'm sure a 412 gearbox would fit a 365/400, but I read somewhere that the clutch/flywheel on a 412 is different to the part on a 365/400, so the input shaft may be different.

I knew someone who had a 355 6sp transaxle in the UK, and wanted around 2-3,000GBP for it, and we were going to buy it for a 'just incase' part; after all we had the 365 leaving the UK in a container at about that time. Unfortunately, it we missed out on it, due to circumstances beyond our reach.

Just while we are on this thread, I might just ask if anyone here with a 365/400/412 has ever done any competitive driving in their car. Trackdays / Tarmac rallies etc. Just asking as I saw some pics of a 365 2+2 here in Australia doing the Classic Adelaide rally.

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My wife and I did a track day at Roebling Road with our 365. Power and steering were just fine. The brakes left a lot to be desired. It's a big heavy car at the end of the day, but it handled very predictably.

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #14 dstacy, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    412 clutch is indeed different then a 400i. The 412 and the BB512 share the same clutch.

There was a red 412 at Sebring this spring. Nice guy. Here is his car, Tim Stanford's Dino, and my 400i

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Timp

Timp Rookie

Oct 8, 2005
    Yes, we're going Tremec, keeping the rear axle set up as is right now for cost control. I'll share more as we go. I'm doing this with Dan @ International Dream cars in Los Angeles. I've never driven a GT which is a shame. But I use my car every day and want to balance manly-hood with practicality on the clutch feel ! Pics later ......

16. Timp

Timp Rookie

Oct 8, 2005
    sounds great !! ... especially the flames !

17. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    #17 Hans, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Too cool! :D

19. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    The Dutch/Belgian F-chatters are a rather active bunch and we get together as often as we can. This photo was taken during the 2007 FChat tunnel run in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. The the flames have earned my (blue) car the nickname "Blauw Vlammend Beest" (Blue flaming beast).

:D

I AM planning on putting some slightly leaner idle jets in my carbs though, as the 12 mpg running really hits my wallet hard (especially considering the 10,000 miles per year that I do in the Dino and US$ 8.80 I have to pay per (US) gallon of fuel)....

20. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Very Nice Hans! I miss the sound and the rawness of carbs, but then I like the economy and ease of CIS, The only answer is to have one of each.