Heavy Metal Thunder | FerrariChat

Heavy Metal Thunder

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Nov 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    super cool, any idea when it will be released for sale?

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Great find, Jim.

Thanks!

CW

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Dec. EC Friend found it and let me know.

Best

5. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
  6. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    As fast as these cars were, modern LMP1 and LMP2 cars are a LOT faster around the course, with about half the horsepower. I still rather watch Can-Am, as there was so much variety in the cars. Modern cars, although substantially faster, are plain boring to me....

This 1948 MM video on You-tube, although short, is WONDERFUL!!

I can list every car in the video if someone wants the information...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDbmb9N6lc

7. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Agreed, Stu. Especially when they're Diesel powered ! :(

8. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

The Porsche LMP2 car is not diesel powered, and it is even faster than the Audis around the course (although slower in a straight line). I think Porsche will win LeMans next year if they actually decide to enter.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  10. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Jim, those were the days when I loved going to the races. The cars were built by people, not robots and computer controlled machines, it didnt take a laptop to start them, and innovative experimentation was everywhere. There was access to the paddock and you could see the cars and the people up close and get a feel for what was going on,especially the difference between the organizational abilities of the different nationalities.
    Were you at Watkins Glen for the "Five star weekend" in 1972 0r maybe three? CanAm, Manufactureres championship,TranAm, FormulaFord, and one other I have forgotten, probably happened while I was trying to get the AlfaRomeo out of the bog.
    Malcolm

11. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

great find jim.

lmp-1 and lmp-2...when compared to the great beasts of the original can -am's seem sterile!

can am was the most aggressive test bed for aerodynamics as we know it and the sheer grunt was out of this world! these cars were the cars that men could test their mettle...and by the way, they were THE men of motorsports!!

revson, donahue, oliver, stewart, amon, surtees, and others...those were THE days!!!!

thanks jim. i have run this video 4 times now.

pcb

12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    As long as we're reminiscing about the good old days; my story is that all during college I was a grid marshal at Pacific coast races. For the entire time of the Can Am series I would stand in the middle of 20+ car grids multiple times during the weekend, enraptured by the sound & fury. I didn't need earplugs, I was young and immortal! I have 50% hearing loss in both ears as a result. And yes, I still think it was worth it......standing right in the middle of 15,000 hp revving up in anger......??? Oh yeah.....

James

13. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Really want a copy. Does anyone know if it will be available in region 2 DVD format for the UK?

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

neat story...the can am cars left their mark i guess!

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thank you.

16. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Nice preview. Reminds me of standing along the back straight at Riverside and watching Denny Hulme and Bruce McLaren thundering nose-to-tail towards Turn 9 on the first lap having already created an enormous gap between themselves and the rest of the field. Impressive!

17. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Motorsport Collector http://www.motorsportcollector.com have confirmed they will have European region DVDs.
    Nathan

18. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Awesome, where will this be sold?

19. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Just a side note for MalcolmB: I agree with all that you said, but in 1966 I visited the factory and was astonished to see a huge machine the size of some people's apartments, fully enclosed in see-through walls, fully machining engine blocks from casting to finished block. Remember, Enzo was a machinery builder during WW II. So it wasn't ALL done "by hand". Cheers.

20. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Turn up the hearing aid!

21. schwaggen

schwaggen Karting

Apr 22, 2006
    Miami FL
    The first race I ever went to was a Can-Am event at Road Atlanta in 1970- I was 4 years old. I don't remember much, except we had a picnic at the top of the hill looking down at the esses- the cars were coming up towards us, and it was unbelieveably loud, and the coolest thing ever- hooked on cars for life. My Mom made me wear earplugs, and I actually fell asleep as the day went on.

22. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
    I've been counting the days until the release of that dvd as I was born too late to appreciate Can-Am in person. Closest I've come is visiting Jim Hall's Chaparrals in Midland. I can't imagine what it was like seeing (feeling!) in person a grid full of those cars and drivers going at it in full fury.

23. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    As far as I'm concerned the CanAm was the greatest series ever. Brutal, ground-pounding monsters driven by guys with names like Gurney, Donahue, Stewart, Revson, McLaren, Hulme, Amon, Follmer, Elford, Siffert, Cevert, Oliver, Rodriguez, etc. I was fortunate to see three of these races. I wish I could have seen every one of them. There will likely never be another series like the original CanAm.

Jack

24. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    I sat near Surtees during the post-race interview for the Stardust GP which he'd just won in his red Lola. I enjoyed his explanation when asked by a member of the press how the team calculated how much fuel to carry on-board. Anyone else remember this?

25. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe