Any dangerous situations presented while in your Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Any dangerous situations presented while in your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dbaker89, Nov 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dbaker89

dbaker89 Formula 3

Sep 29, 2007
    Reno, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    There is a number of increasingly dangerous situations that a Ferrari could impose on one. Besides it being a high performance vehicle, other people are attracted to it and not paying attention, young and old Ferrari owners alike may drive it to its potential, etc. But the worst is somebody trying to hijact your car at gunpoint.

My step brothers step brother (I know, complicated) inherited 12 million dollars when his old man choked. He was relatively smart with the money and didn't go all out but he did buy a F430 Spyder. My brother told me one day he was at the In n out drive through, and right as he got his food and was pulling out somebody from the street in a hood pulled out a 9MM and told him to get the F*ck out of the car. Of course he complied and the car was hijacked. 30 Minutes later, the man was arrested and the car remarkably undamaged.

So my question to all the ferrari owners here, has anything of this nature happened to you?

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    the only danger i encounter is the danger of being depressed once i park it.

Then again, i dont go parking it anywhere and going in and out. Was he in a questionable part of town ? Sometimes destiny is what it is...main thing is he is fine....time to move on.

It makes you really think of how short life really is..enjoy it to the fullest for sure.

3. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    A lot of people look in their rear view mirrors. I've had a couple of cases where the drivers in front of me did not notice the marker posts leading to an offramp. The brakes didn't light up until they flattened 1 or 2 poles. Ouch!

4. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    The most dangerous situation I've seen is when someone with a cellphone camera tries to get "real close" for a picture while you're both going down a multi-lane highway at speed. They continue to creep toward the side of your car while they stare into their cell phone screen instead of paying attention to the traffic in front of them. Yikes.

5. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    This did not happen in my Ferrari, but a few years back while driving my then M3 I was harrased by another driver to the point that I called 911. It was during some heavy bumper to bumper traffic. He kept swerving towards me, cutting me off and blocking me in every way he could. All the while flipping me off and swearing at me. I had no idea why he was doing this stuff. Unfortunately, traffic was way too heavy to just speed away from him or back off, so there I was stuck. He went so far as to drive on the shoulder to cut me off and try to ram me. I finally had enough and called 911. I had written down his plate/description and gave it to the officer. I was later told that several people called 911 and that when the police arrived at his home, he readily admitted that he was "trying to show that BMW yuppie pr*ck something". The officer explained that I was an ER Nurse and a stay at home Dad (at the time) and would normally have had my daughter with me, but luckily did not at that time because I was being called into work. He was charged by the DA with wreckless driving and lost his license and some fines. I guess that was his idea of fun.

JIM

6. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    I have had two incidents:

1. Car beside me was taking a look without paying attention in front of him. Next thing you know he runs up the back of the car in front of him and another 6 cars behind smash into him. This has happened twice when I have been driving.

2. I was coming back home quite late at night and it seemed as though the car behind was following. Everywhere I went they followed. I started to accelerate and they did do. I had to drive very fast at high speeds and of course the prancing horse won as they could not keep up. I now make sure no one is behind me when coming home.

Thats about it.

Oh yeah, as for hijacking they can have my Ferrari. It is insured so not worth arguing with a hand gun held to your head.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wow - nothing that serious.

Once a bee shat on my front fender. I went home and used some quick detailer and removed the little brown drop before it damaged the paint.

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Seems like guys on motorcycles always want to race me. I just slow down and let them by. Haven't run over any bikers yet! ;)

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I really don't think this happens as much as you'd think. Just as with your step brother the guy was apprehended quickly. The cars are so visible it's easier for them to just go for a lower profile target.

10. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #10 ylshih, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is an unfortunate effect. Some of us were in a line heading one direction (pic 1) and came across a line of motorcycles heading toward us - add some momentary inattention on their part as we passed and you have a big problem (pic 2).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I have also had the experience of having the vehicle in front of me watching me in his rearview mirror instead of paying attention to the car in front of him, and rear-ending that car. That would sure be humiliating!

12. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This has to be one of the rarest and most ''1 in a zillion'' stories ive heared in a while!!
    Theres probably 3 or 4 crooks on the whole planet that are incredibly stupid enough to carjack such a high profile car!
    Was the crook also doing donuts on the freeway, laying on the horn, with the hazard lights on, waving his arms at the cops and screaming ''BUST ME!! BUST ME!! I JUST STOLE THIS CAR AT GUNPOINT!!!''??? lmao

13. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  14. dbaker89

dbaker89 Formula 3

Sep 29, 2007
    Reno, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I have no idea, honestly. All I know is it was in long beach area, and well, incase you didn't know, shipping stolen cars does indeed happen (not necessarily Ferrari's)

15. ferrari 360 spider f1

ferrari 360 spider f1 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    bern switzerland
    Full Name:
    steven
    yes i remember several situations,about 5 mounth ago i was coming back home by the hi way and it was allready dinner time so whe stoped to have dinner,whe parked the car just in front of the window,it was dark and a very rare man was trying to do something to the car he probally was not so sure if whe see him from inside becose outside it was dark,the body language showed that that man wanted to do something to my spider ,that man had a evil image he was the tipical maniac he looked very fix on always the same part of the car.
    whe said to the personal that they make something but they don,t wanted to help.
    so i whent out to put my jacket in the car and he was still there his foots where planted at about 5 inches of the front bumper he looked fix to me i prefered to dont say nothing i saw that the car he came out before all that happened had romanian plates,yes romanian here in europe some of them are profesional gansters and very violent.
    i decide to pay the food i dont finished becose that maniac and to drive away very fast,i don,t saw him in the rear mirror i think it was imposible that he follow as
    with that speed.

16. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    "Oh yeah, as for hijacking they can have my Ferrari. It is insured so not worth arguing with a hand gun held to your head."

What if he gets you out of the car and decides that he doesn't want any witnesses ?
    If I was in the car with the engine running, I think I'd floor it and take my chances.
    I hope I never have to make that decision, it's not the car that I'd be worried about, it's your life.

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's the rub, the homies here have really taken lately to putting all witnesses on ice.....

I am CONSTANTLY aware of my surroundings, especially others approaching me at the gas pump....panhandlers are strongly cautioned to move away, etc.

Bottom line, as economy worsens there's an increase in desperate people out there.

As Houston is a transportation hub we seen them streaming North in the good times, then the flow reverses as the economy tanks and the bottom levels get squeezed......

Not a real good time to be flaunting personal wealth, unless safely behind a TALL fence....LOL!

Santa's bringing me a new Smith and Wesson revolver and LOTS of Speedloaders.........;)

"Dear Santa,

I have been real good this year, but may need to kill a few mudderfuggers...."

Love to all,
    Bubba

18. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #18 Dave328, Nov 27, 2007
  19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There ya go, brudda!

Hey man, be on the lookout, I got some 'Santa' headed your way too, via mailbox........(not ballastics or anything..LOL!)

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Something SIMILAR happened to me. I was in the 348 at the Krispy Kreme drive thru, and I saw a car on a jack. Not as exciting, and certainly not dangerous, but somewhat similar!
    :)
    BT

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Now South Florida, a Ferrari could get 'lost in the crowd"............LOL!

I never worry about someone stealing my cars, when they get the tune up Bill, they'll return it.........;)

22. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    #22 Badman, Nov 27, 2007
    +1. If the guy is stupid enough to steal a car like that, he's probably too stupid to actually learn how to shoot that 9mm.

I'm with you, but I like my baby a little more "old school" ;)

23. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank

24. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    Agreed. But the choice is to get out of the car and let them shoot at me while standing there, or drive away and let them shoot me through a moving car...

25. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Don't know if anybody saw this episode; CourtTV show (the Investigators or Coldcase, I think) where this plain ordinary golf course groundskeeper drives out of the park to go get his oil changed in a Jeep Wagoneer.

Some nutbar ninja-commando in full-face black combats and a .223 assault rifle steps out in the road and starts shooting him all up; he tries to jump out and run and the shooter kills him with a couple of shots in the back and steals the Jeep. This is in broad daylight with many eye-witnesses. Several people observe him dumping the jeep and jumping into a white pickup, which is of course eventually traced down in due time.

After it is all over, the story comes out the him and a buddy claim it was a robbery gone bad. They thought that the guy was "taking the daily receipts to the bank" and were pulling off a holdup.

Point here is, that it only takes a pair of this type (Beavis and Butthead with guns) to try to hijack anybody, Ferrari or not? Can you imagine anybody actually thinking that a golf course would be a great cash target in the middle of a weekday? Like as if most patrons don't use a credit card??? They admitted they thought that there was always about $50,000 laying around at all times!

So, yeah - sometimes this does kind of make you wonder. But as stated, I would rather take my chances stomping down on the gas than trying to stand there and shoot it out (even if I was carrying, I would not be carrying an AK-47).