I Don't Own A Watch - Any Ideas? | FerrariChat

I Don't Own A Watch - Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 512Tea Are, Dec 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrades,

I don't own a watch. This is the truth. But I do rather like the idea of owning something really swish. However, I have small wrists so a huge Rolex or a massive briegtling would be hopeless as it would look like an alarm clock. So any ideas for a complete novice in the watch stakes would be greatly appreciated.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

2. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Dear Comrade 512 Tea Are,

If money isn't a problem, then Rolex do a midi range, which is half way between a gents and ladies.

With kind regards,

Nitrous Pete:)

3. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade nitrousferrari,

Thank you. I had no idea that Rolex made smaller gents watches. I shall do a little research.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

4. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    A vintage Omega Speedmaster Professional. The only watch for a man-

I suggest a 1967 321...like mine :)

5. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Dear RB

I read your thread title, and the subsequent post, and feel that i might be able to help. In your opening statement you claim that you cant wear a large timepiece because of your small wrists. Have you considered wearing a timepiece elsewhere, possibly a good quality pocket watch by Williams of London or even a lovely Patek Phillipe? Alternatively, whilst visiting Petticoat lane, in London, i once heard one mearket trader calling to another "have you got the time on you cock"?

Roberto

6. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    :D......I think you dropped an "l".

7. TDI-PLC

TDI-PLC Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2007
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Catchpole
    I think that watches are more of a fashion statement than anything else, so perhaps you should indicate what styles you prefer. Also your budget should narrow down the selection process too :)

Personally I don't like the big clunky styles of the normal brands, so I bought a Rado black ceramica Jubile watch a couple of weeks ago. It's very slim, bomb proof, the styling suits my tastes, and much rarer and cheaper than the usual suspects.

8. bob-in-toon

bob-in-toon Karting

Aug 12, 2007
    Newcastle
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yep Tarek your right - amended:D

9. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade TDI-PLC,

I would naturally like a very nice watch and of course the acquisition of such a masterpiece would be far from inexpensive. I am wondering if they are available on tick :)

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

10. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    ROFLMAO :D:D:D

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

HEY!!! Comrade whatever you call yourself.

thanks for dropping a note to your US friends on this. :D

We love to talk watches.

I also do not have giant wrists, and must shop carefully.

Do you want jewelery, or function or both?

For Jewelery, that might require some steady maintenance, I'd suggest a vintage Constantin-Vacheron, truly an elegant timepiece. I'll shoot a pic of the one I have that works well, with attention, and just looks elegant and understated.

For everyday (despite what some say here) I use a Tag, which I love, and it was not very expensive at all. As I run a manufacturing company, wearing something too fancy, or fragile is out of the question. I also have a couple Seikos for when I'm putzing about in the yard or working on the car, along with a very nice pocket watch that was my grandfather's.

I think the non-chronograph faces work the best if you can't wear a large faced watch.

I'll post you a pic later today.

Dave M

12. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Dave,

It's great to hear from you and I trust you are well. And thank you for your views on watches - very interesting indeed. Surprising though it may be, I have not worn a watch for decades. I am not sure why this is but perhaps I just got out of the habit. This notwithstanding, I have never owned a really good watch and am thinking that I should acquire some sort of masterpiece. It's all Hudson and Hazy's fault for displaying their's so frequently!

As mentioned earlier, it was really good to hear from you and I trust the Dino is working well. And give the dogs a pat for me (Our puppy is growing bigger by the day!)

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

13. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Dear RB

I have got it !!!!! Something that will do both the jobs i have mentioned above. I have taken the liberty of bidding on the item, if i win, i shall forward the item to you as a keepsake :) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Erotic-Pocket-Watch-Mens-Stockingfiller-Humor-Gift_W0QQitemZ170174104329QQihZ007QQcategoryZ398QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Roberto

14. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Robert,

In the infamous words of the late and great but hugely illustrious Dick Emery "You are wicked - but I like you!"

It is truly a fabulous thing. But Rob, really you shouldn't be performing these elaborately munificent acts. Your generosity, notorious though is, is now so far on the extremes of excessive as to have traversed its hinterlands and cast itself way into the stratosphere! I shall be terribly embarrassed if you win this auction - I really will. You are a really wicked person - very, very wicked indeed!

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

15. bob-in-toon

bob-in-toon Karting

Aug 12, 2007
    Newcastle
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Lol I think rob's just buying it for himself;):D

16. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    RB

Dick Emery said "you are awfull".......:D

17. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Robert,

Damn! You're right again! Bugger, bugger bugger!

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I gave up wearing watches once the cell phone indictes time, date and missed call sfrom aspiring supermodels....

There was also the pesky problem with stray electrical voltages, from energized powerhouse equipment......:rolleyes:

Try a Swatch Graham, ,they have everything from fun plastic designs to a very nice metal three day chrono I use for Track Days....

I also have a Cartier Chrono from the licensed Ferrari Series, I suppose for my last rites they'll put that on my arm and refill the matching pen......nothing too fancy, it has a grey shark skin band. A goofy 17 point hex shaped backing plate makes watch replacement a specialized service much like our cars.....how fitting!

19. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    For a masterpiece that is not big and clunky, nor ostentatious, and will fit a small wrist (I am simlarly afflicted), you must look at Patek.

Neil