looks like a nice scam | FerrariChat

looks like a nice scam

Discussion in '360/430' started by soccerjunky, Dec 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
  2. LeonG360

LeonG360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2007
    Calabasas
    Something doesn't make sense here. It may be a Euro car, but even so, it wouldn't be 50% less than others on the market today. Correspond with the guy but be VERY careful, you never know. I wouldn't send any money untill you see the car in person.

Good luck!!!

3. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    The "use my other email" is a sure tip off (along with the CGT he also wants to sell).

4. LeonG360

LeonG360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2007
    Calabasas
    Good point...

5. F. Yu

F. Yu Rookie

Jun 17, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Very common eBay scam... I've reported over 20 of these and had them removed by Trust & Safety.

6. LeonG360

LeonG360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2007
    Calabasas
    How can it possibly work on a big-ticket items such as a car? I would never send any money unless I actually saw the car in person... Different story on something that costs $20!

7. F. Yu

F. Yu Rookie

Jun 17, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    It works because people are retarded. They always tell you the car is out-of-state, or, even more commonly, perhaps not even in the country. They require that you wire money to them ahead of time as a "deposit" or some such, or claim that they can place the car into "eBay escrow", a service that doesn't even exist. They use fake websites to convince people of these services.

8. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    how true is that! :)

9. F355 Spider

F355 Spider Formula 3

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Sonny

You should see the number of people that actually bid on the Camaro and Firebird scams!!!

10. speedracer1610

speedracer1610 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2006
    nor cal
    Full Name:
    Craig D
    its ok ANOTHER SCAMMER BID ON IT.

l***h( 1 )

11. numisrx

numisrx Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    +1

I have a large amount of money I need to move out of (insert African country name). If you give me your bank account info and wire me $5,000.00 I will transfer US$2,400,000.00 and you can keep half.

BTW, I also have a gold mine and need to move 5000 metric tons of gold offshore. If you can send me $25,000.00 for shipping I can send it to you and your share will be approximately 24 billion US$.

12. roro

roro Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ro
    another way you can tell this is a scam is that the seller opened an account in 2006 but has not done anything with it until now. I've seen this too many times; and worse of all, his first item is a Ferrari. Yeah right?

13. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    some time back i was hit hard with the same african scams.. asking same.. this is my reply to them my bank details........ bank of go f##k yourself .. acc num.... kis my a#se bsb num u f##kin low life hahaha!!!!!!!!

14. F. Yu

F. Yu Rookie

Jun 17, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Actually my favorite responses were those people who documented their back and forth emails where *they* strung along the scammer and IIRC one or two of them actually got the scammer to send a small amount of money to them so they could "pay their bank fees to wire the first deposit". :D

15. numisrx

numisrx Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    That's good!

16. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
  17. steve miller

steve miller Karting

Dec 30, 2005
    Parkland, Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve Miller

That's always my first thought too...BUT, then I remember something my IT guy told me. Whenever you answer an email like that you're "sold" many many times over to other spammers who realize that you at least read their s**t. Although I share your sentiments it's best to let them go. This is official as it was told to me by a Computer Geek! :)