made a deal on a 360 spider! | FerrariChat

made a deal on a 360 spider!

Discussion in '360/430' started by 348 Turbo, Dec 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    #1 348 Turbo, Dec 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If it'll pass the pre-purchase inspection today at Algar, it's mine!!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;jsessionid=2NFEOG31LJFIBLAYIEWU2UY;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=ascending&sortfield=PRICE+ascending%2CPRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-spider%7CE-ANY%7CM-_51_%7CH-%7CD-_4196_%7CN-N%7CR-10000%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+ascending%2CPRICE+descending%7CQ-ascending%7CX-popular%7CZ-38103&aff=national&paId=134332541&recnum=5&leadExists=true

I spent a few hours with the car in Philly on Monday. It's a great looking car, but needs lots of things to be "finished".

No tools, or records, (I do have the confirmation from the original point of sale, that services are up to date). Seller bought a set of blank books for the car in the beginning of his quest to have the dealer certify mx status.
    Drivers bolster has the usual wear- (has anyone ever just replaced the bolster?)
    Needs rear tires, (seller is providing two new ones).
    To me, the brakes look skinny, we'll know today.
    On the highway, I notice a substatial air leak in between the convertible top, and the passenger window- is this normal for a 360 spider?
    No factory cover, seat covers or steering wheel cover.
    No spare tire or fill bottle.

He made me a very fair deal on the price. The car drives FANTASTIC.
    I can't even sleep at night waiting for todays PPI results.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MOUNTAINWOLF

MOUNTAINWOLF Karting

Nov 3, 2005
    Nice looking spyder . Congrats! Pozzi blue ?

3. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Thank you. The orginal owner of this car paid an extra 15k, (I'm told), to have it delivered in Sera blue, not offered that year.............
    J

4. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Good luck on the transaction. The air "leak" sounds odd. The top on the Spider is a very technical set up with very expensive parts that go wrong routinely. They will check during PPI and make sure to ask that the top specifically was tested numerous times to ensure proper fitting and alignment.

Joe

5. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    thanks, will do.

6. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Funny you should mention that. Mine has more wind noise from the passengers side than the drivers side. There is NO water intrusion when driving in the rain, which is the important thing.

7. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Congrats! Hope it all passes inspection, do you think you jinxed yourself though???

My car was only missing car,seat and steering cover, I ordered direct from ferrari thru the Ferrari owners site and it was, as I remember, $100 cheaper than ebay or thru the dealer!!!!!!!!! Plus you can order the red or yellow covers. Funny thing, fedEx wanted my ss number to verify that I was not trying to import a bunch of these as a business. I guess I wasn't paying the normal import fee s that business get hit with and they were checking.

Good luck with the car!

Robert

8. steve miller

steve miller Karting

Dec 30, 2005
    Parkland, Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve Miller

Had the same air leak problem. Had it fixed during my belt service last month. It was jut a hinge that was worn. $700.00. That's Ferrari tax for you! :)

9. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    Beautiful spider. Looks like you got a great price as long as service is up to date.

10. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Beautiful color combo. Exactly what service records does the so called 'original point of sale' physically have? Just for the record, according to FNA's scheduled maintenance, this car should have received, 6 annuals, 5K and 2 timing belt services. I would confirm that all campaigns were completed, (note; variator campaign) which can only be verified via physical service receipts or FNA/authorized dealer.

11. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Thank you for your concern,; mine was the same.
    I was able to contact FCI, in Greensboro. They wer kind enough to fill me in; yes they are a FNA/authorized dealer.

12. amslb182

amslb182 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Ct
    Full Name:
    Andrew LeGrant
    As far as the wind noise goes could that be a problem with the windows? Ive only driven a 360 spider once but i remember in putting the top up/down the windows moved, or maybe Iam wrong?

13. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

FCI and Algar are both great dealers. I bought cars from each of them and find their service departments very good. So, how did the check go at Algar??

14. steve miller

steve miller Karting

Dec 30, 2005
    Parkland, Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve Miller

That's just normal indexing. Most convertibles today have that feature.

15. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Snow storm in Philly, delayed it until tomorrow, Friday. I'll let you know.
    J

16. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Good luck on the PPI. I can't wait for the results!!

17. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ
    Glad that you finally found a car that fit your criteria and budget. As to your question regarding the wear on the driver seat, I had some minor wear and I was told by the dealer to have it done right it would require the entire seat to be refinished. If you do just the one part it may not match in color to the rest of the seat. I held off because my wear is minor, something that I will do down the road if it gets worse.

The leak above the passenger side window was a relay in my top. Make sure the top closes completely on that side at the top corner of the passenger side window. I had an issue with my top which was resolved by the dealer immediately upon notifying him of it. He said that there was a bad relay which didn't engage the top to close completely. It is a very complicated roof setup, so be ready for a bill to fix it...

Keep us posted-

18. kilikay

kilikay Rookie

Jan 14, 2006
    LA, OC
    Full Name:
    CJ
    I almost purchased that vehicle about 8-9 months ago! I was looking for an '01 spyder and placed a $2000 deposit w/ them (fairless motors), but then found a car closer here in Orange County (Ferrari of Newport), where they did a great deal and took this one instead. I believe that car was asking for low $140K last time I looked, it's the owner's car and he was keeping it around for himself...It took them forever to refund my $2000 deposit though after I told them I wouldn't be purchasing the vehicle. Keep us updated on it, i'm curious how the PPI goes!

19. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I purchased a 360 Spider from Algar last may and it is a fantastic car. They are a cool dealership and very cooperative. i was able to get an extended warranty through them and I would suggest if that is possible, it would be good to do the same. Congrats!