Dilemma | FerrariChat

Dilemma

Discussion in '612/599' started by RedRacer, Dec 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    #1 RedRacer, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have an '06 red/tan 430 Spider and just test drove today an '07 grigio silverstone 599 GTB with natural interior, carbon fiber steering wheel, and challenge rims. What a MONSTER!

As many threads state, these are two very different cars.

Here are my issues/questions:

1) Is it reasonable for me to fetch $285,000 for an '06 430 F1 spider with less than 2400 miles, 4 year warranty, fire extinguisher, BMC air filters, carbon fiber, shields, 3M clear bra, custom floor mats, tan daytona seats, but without ceramic breaks;
    2) The 599 does not have ceramic breaks. In my test drive my stopping distance on harder stops was around 6 feet further than the 430. Should I look for one that has ceramic breaks or is this only noticeable for tracking?
    3) I can probably get the 2007 599 for around 420-430k. It has over 5,700 miles on it, has carbon fiber daytona bucket seats with power, ferrari ipod in glove, carbon led steering wheel, electrochromatic internal mirror, 20 inch monolitic wheels, upholstered top, rear leather shelf, bose hifi, yellow calipers, skid plates, tubi exhaust and a clear bra. Is this a fair price?
    4) I go on a monthly FCA drive where we meet up in Pacific Palisades and drive through the canyons. Would a 599 be able to keep up with the 430's in canyon driving?

As to the question "have you used the search function", the answer is yes. I want some more input and so I am posting this.

So this is my dilemma. I wish I could have both cars.

I would love to hear your comments.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    1:probably
    2:6 feet at what speed? Steel should be OK unless you have poor response times :)
    3:Sticker in 08 will be close to that.
    4:If you can drive, they're dead. Trust me. If you can't, you probably still can keep up.
    Addendum:If you can't drive well, do schools. It is fast enough to kill you, far faster than your 430, far more accessible speed. It isn't a toy, but it is really really easy to get in over your head. Not twitchy, not nervous, just so damn fast you'll be going way faster than your usual references perceive. Some may argue. They are not likely owners with miles.

3. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    2: I slowed down as I am used to in my 430 -- 599 accelerates so quickly that I may have been going too fast and overshot the stop at the stop sign.
    3: So is it overpriced? should I shoot for $400k?
    4: It is extremely fast. If I do get it I may get some lessons so I can improve my driving. I usually can keep up with anyone in our group with the 430 (group is 430s, 360s, a 355, two 308s, and sometimes a 550).

Thanks for the input.

4. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    1) Is it reasonable for me to fetch $285,000 for an '06 430 F1 spider with less than 2400 miles, 4 year warranty, fire extinguisher, BMC air filters, carbon fiber, shields, 3M clear bra, custom floor mats, tan daytona seats, but without ceramic breaks;
    Seems to me that you should be able to do this or better- especially in your market.

2) The 599 does not have ceramic breaks. In my test drive my stopping distance on harder stops was around 6 feet further than the 430. Should I look for one that has ceramic breaks or is this only noticeable for tracking?
    I think the only place this hurts you is with hard track driving and resale.

3) I can probably get the 2007 599 for around 420-430k. It has over 5,700 miles on it, has carbon fiber daytona bucket seats with power, ferrari ipod in glove, carbon led steering wheel, electrochromatic internal mirror, 20 inch monolitic wheels, upholstered top, rear leather shelf, bose hifi, yellow calipers, skid plates, tubi exhaust and a clear bra. Is this a fair price?
    I believe these cars are still going for close to 500- you are getting a discount because of relatively high miles and the brakes. My guess is the MSRP on this car is around 320k so you are 100k over still. As the hot air seeps out of the premium on this vehicle, yours will get hurt first and probably fastest as it has two undesirables: miles and the steel brakes. You need to make sure you are comfortable with depreciation / know how long you will own the vehicle. No judgements as its a beautiful car and what looks like a fair deal. You can ask for 400- probably doesn't hurt to ask.

4) I go on a monthly FCA drive where we meet up in Pacific Palisades and drive through the canyons. Would a 599 be able to keep up with the 430's in canyon driving?
    Completely agree with the above comments. Comparing the two cars, the 599 is not quite as direct and "honest" at lower speeds and is far more comfortable. However, like Sfumato says, the car is scary fast- it is kind of like having a hyper BMW M6, refined and relatively comfortable for the more mundane stuff, but when the conditions permit, its almost like having an Enzo- so a kind of dual role Enzo. Corners can come up really really fast. I think for any Ferrari you better have a good idea of how to drive- you don't have to be Schuey (though that would be nice :) ) but you need to understand the basics and some driving school experience is a great suggestion. Sounds like you do already. Perhaps you should consider the Ferrari experience in Mt. Treblant? I like to do a school every 12-18 months as a kind of refresher. The car is an amazing car, the best Ive ever driven, and its very stable and I think the safety systems (if left engaged) will help you, but there is no repealing the laws of physics and this car shreds my notion of speed like no other- unlike the 430 which feels the speed- in this one you don't really feel it until the speed gets up there- 80 maybe 90mph- and you can be doing 120+ in no time at all. I think this is a car made for the canyons far more than the track.

As to the question "have you used the search function", the answer is yes. I want some more input and so I am posting this.

So this is my dilemma. I wish I could have both cars.

If you are asking which one should one have- the answer is down to you: if you are doing shorter drives where you want more involvement then I think its the 430. If you want more of a super canyon carver/ GT then the 599 is truly an historic car IMHO because it is both a top sports car in its own right and a cruiser all in one. My only gripe is the bose stereo- no bass and treble controls! :eek:

best regards,
    Jerry

5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.

To be honest ,in my 2500 miles (so far) did not listen/ use my radio/stereo yet....

6. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    of course one could say why bother with a stereo since the v12's induction, mechanical and exhaust sounds are so wonderful, but if thats the case then why bother putting a stereo and its associated weight into the vehicle. Now this is clearly a minor issue, nothing to detract from the car itself, but there is a small way around this if you have the ipod. Go into the menu screen on the main TFT and find the setting for the automatic EQ and turn it off. Then on your ipod select the bass booster eq setting. That will help make the sound more pleasant.

best regards,
    Jerry