Code and Diagnostic Question | FerrariChat

Code and Diagnostic Question

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by kbrookings, Dec 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kbrookings

kbrookings Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    The "Engine Control - go to dealer" light came on on my 05 QP with about 75K miles on the clock. It went off after a couple days and has not come back on after a couple weeks. I've watched for signs of problems including engine temp variation. Engine temp has not fluctuated at all. No signs of problems of any kind.

I took the car to the dealer for some other work and he pulled the codes and reports I need a new Thermostat and OBD pump for a total of about $1500. The OBD pump is for the fuel evaporative System.

How does this sound to you all . . . ? Any thoughts, experiences or advice?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Get a second opinion?
    Can they clear the error and see if it repeats or is it a hard and fast error? If that were the case I would think that the error light would remain on.
    I'd hate to spend $1,500 on a fluke.

Bob S.

3. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    75,000 miles in 2 years?

4. kbrookings

kbrookings Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    75K in three years; picked up the car December 1, 2004

5. kbrookings

kbrookings Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    Yes, those were my thoughts too. The light cleared itself and has not come back on.

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Then maybe it's really a dealer warning light.

Bob S.

7. kbrookings

kbrookings Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    My concern exactly. My confidence took a hit when a dealer (different the one who is recommending OBD pump and Thermostat replacement) told me over 25K miles ago that my clutch was gone (that would have been after 11,000 miles on that clutch). I'm just now doing the clutch, 25K plus miles after that dealer pronouncement.

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think you've answered your own question here. Dealerships have to eat too. So try and find one that doesn't feast on it's customers.
    If the emissions pump has failed then they should be able to demonstrate that. How you know that is tough to answer.

Any ideas out there on this?

I don't know where you live but since the ECU records all of this stuff I strongly suspect that a hard failure will a require a repair at your next emissions inspection.
    I don't know about intermittent stuff though.

With 75K and 3 years it sounds like the car has been OK then?

Bob S.

9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I'm impressed. Tell us more about how the car has been reliability wise? Is this your 1st major problem (concern) I take it that you drive mostly highway miles. Do you keep it in automatic mode or do you run through the gears (aggressively?)

10. kbrookings

kbrookings Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    All good thoughts Bob, thanks.
    I live in North Idaho in the summer and Palm Springs in the winter. Not being an stupid, I register all my cars in Idaho; no emission rules or testing at all. Its nice to have this choice and the lower sales tax.
    The QP has been fantastic; never stranded me, minimal warranty work and actually turned out to be one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned; certainly among the exotic and high end ones anyhow. Just doing the second clutch now, original F1 Pump and only one brake pad replacement. I've driven it hard but no track time - but I do a lot of freeway and road trip easy on the car type driving. It has never experienced winter, and all of its miles are in manual mode. I usually get rid of cars before now but just couldn't part with this one; still can't in fact; so I'm retiring it (putting it out for stud?) but keeping it and have ordered something else for daily driver status.

Ken

11. kbrookings

kbrookings Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    I had a water pump failure (which is like 10 hours labor!) that was covered under warranty. Otherwise no issues. Went through lots of tires. I do drive it very aggressively and always in manual mode (probably fewer than 50 miles in Automatic mode out of 75K). But yes, lots of highway miles, little stop and go. I expected a lot of problems being one of the earliest deliveries in the U.S. but it has been magnificent in all ways. I think it will go down in my history book as my favorite car ever.

Like all of us I wouldn' mind seeing the thing have about 500 HP but I'm not sure what for except for the principal that there are some things you just can't have too much of. I love the CC transmission and I am "one with it" - it lets me kind of reach deeply into the drive train and control things at the detail level and response I want.

As you can tell; it has been a great driving experience.