Here we go again, Max. | FerrariChat

Here we go again, Max.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Remy Zero, Dec 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The reintroduction of slick tyres in 2009 is not set in stone, FIA President Max Mosley has warned.

Bridgestone supplied a developmental slick tyre for teams to experiment with at the recent Jerez test.

It is planned that the current grooved tyres, introduced in 1998 to cut cornering speeds, will be scrapped after next season, in unison with new regulations to slash aerodynamic downforce by as much as 50 percent.

But Mosley told the British magazine Autosport that if the new bodywork rules do not reduce cornering speeds as intended, the return of slicks may be called off.
    Cliquez ici...

"The theory is: much less downforce and more mechanical grip should improve the racing and overtaking," he said.

"(But) if it turns out that the promised reduction in downforce hasn't happened and the cornering speeds go up, we'll just put the grooves back in," Mosley added.

2. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
    When is Max's presidency up for reelection?

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I am not good at reading English, what exactly is wrong with Max's proposal?

They want to reduce downforce, OK understood, that slows the cars down on the straights and corners, so using slicks would increase cornering ability. OK got that. Less speed in the straights and more in the corners, OK, understood, sounds like an equalizer, almost like racing in the rain. Suspension is catching up to horsepower in importance. May give my hero Sato a chance.

Sounds to me like one way of making F1 less boring as far as passing in dry weather is concerned. And right now, unless you are a true car nut and don't mind watching and hearing F1 cars, most races are boring irrespective of either championship at the time. If it were not for the multiple rain races this year, the rest of the season was boring.

Back to the topic, then if the proposed downforce changes do not slow down the cars, they go back to grooved tires which have less grip which slow down cornering speeds. OK, I understand the concept. Again trying tighten up the field and hopefully have some passing.

So what's wrong with this??

I think I am also getting tired of the Bernie and Max beatings like I am tired of the Ron Dennis beatings, and I don't care for any of them. But reality, they aren't stupid, there are a thousands of eyes within the sport that can put up a very public red flag at any time, and as a group, I have heard of no one WITHIN the sport of F1 call for either Bernie or Max's resignation. Nor has Mercedes asked for Ron Dennis to resign despite all of the embarrasing press.

There is a reason for this, they know something most of us don't.

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Look at the statement: He wants teams to cut spending yet on a whim he will change a rule!! It may cost a team millions to develop a car that works well with slicks and then because it not worked, sorry go back to grooved tyres the man's a idiot who's only role as I can see is to ruin F1 and Ron Dennis ,trouble is no one to replace him yet.

5. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Why not restrict wings and aero appendages then? The way modern F1 cars sprout hideous aero appendages, they look like freakmobiles rather than race cars. I would love to see these cars look like F1 cars from the late 1980s with big fat slicks and clean body lines.

6. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +1

nicely said.

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Ted, you are 100% again.

Doesn't the proposed "bodywerk" package propose what you are suggesting? Get rid of, or reduce wings, make cornering more important than speed?

Again I ask, to everyone else, what is wrong with what Max is suggesting? Racing is experimentation, does anyone here know what the proposed aero package will really do? How will cornering speed be affected with or without slicks with the new bodywerk package? If you give an answer to that question thinking you know what the proposed bodywerk and tire package will do, you are an idiot.

And so far, I have not any rebellion from those within the sport about these proposals.

I have to agree with Max on this. There is no way to predict the result . Racing is experimentation, don't play in F1 unless you can afford to experiment. Actually, don't go racing unless you can afford to experiement.

When the rules changed with the idea that carbon fibre structures could save lives, moving the driver's feet behind the front axle, etc, didn't that cost the teams money for that experiment? At the end of the day, it worked.

Actually, along with supporting Massa, I am going to suggest that the insiders of F1 actually respect Max and Bernie, although they may not like them. Get the difference? I think Max is 100% on this, we can not predict the result of this change, so just gotta do it and hope the racing gets better.

What makes any one on this forum think they know more than Max or Bernie? F1 is still the most watched form of racing in the world. The only thing that caused a blip in viewership is our beloved Michael Schumacher winning all the time, made for really boring already boring F1. Even Ron Dennis knows more about F1 than we do.

This Max, Bernie, Ron Dennis, etc, beating is really stupid. Are we out of good subjects to discuss off season?

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Sorry, disagree 100%.

Racing, especially F1 is experimentation. And that costs $$$. Don't be in F1 unless you can afford to experiment.

As for ruining Ron Dennis, reality check, Ron Dennis does that very well on his own. Read the McLaren apology letter. Max had nothing to do with the level of cheating of which McLaren is guilty. McLaren employees are the one that are guilty. As for any CEO, leader, president, as Truman said, the buck stops here. Meaning the the top man is the one always responsible for the actions of their employees.

9. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No worries, Ron

That's what its all about debate.

In my view I thought one of the main reasons of the FIA was to police fairly, and bring in rules and regs for the good of racing. Also to cut costs so allowing more teams to get in with a shout of being a front runner and afford to stay in the sport ,may not be popular but IMO more teams the better.

As regards to Max Mosley,

I rather take Mr Brundles point of view and its not funny really, but he has put his job on the line speaking out against the FIA ,as Max has decided to sue him for doing so, Why is that??is it not allowed.

I don't tow the FIA party line when I see a man leading it hell bent on ruining a team.

This team happens to be Ferrari's worthy foe and has been for many years, So if what you mean by disagreeing with me is wear some Ferrari Blinkers and feed Ron Dennis to the pigs forget it,because if that's what it takes to be a Ferrari fan I don't subscribe...

I wouldn't, support Max even if it supported my case under any circumstances, when he has proven dislike of RD or anyone that does not get into bed with him.

BTW I would feel exactly the same if the shoe was on the other foot i.e. Ferrari or any other team fair is fair not one rule for you and another rule for you.