High Mileage ???? | FerrariChat

High Mileage ????

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dice996C4S, Dec 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dice996C4S

Dice996C4S Karting

May 7, 2006
    Cerritos, CA
    Is it really considered for a 1995 355B @ 33K miles to be a high mileaged car ? So as a Fcar owner, do we just buy the car and stare at it ?

2. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just bought mine at 27K miles. I would have preferred lower miles but the car looked great and all the known "gotchas" were addressed so I pulled the trigger.

Steve

3. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    Unfortunately anything over 15,000 miles is considered high miles in Ferrariland.......silly IMHO.

As to whether or not Ferrari owners just stare at their cars and do not drive them enough I think the reason so many Ferraris have low miles is that they are normally a 3rd or 4th car.

Driving my Ferrari is a special occasion to me, if I drove it everyday it would lose its luster and become just another car. Besides the fact that its impractical, draws far too much attention, and really isn't that comfortable compared to most of our modern daily drivers.

4. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    IMO that is not 'high mileage' ..... and I condone driving an f-car to keep it in proper operational condition. Mine has more than that BTW, everything works great and with zero CEL :).

My wild a$s guess is there are some owners who may believe that their 10,000 plus high qty. production car, will become very rare in the next 30 years or so. So if they do not drive it, it may be worth more than they paid for it..... :rolleyes:....... in spite of the interest they could be earning on that money over that time as well as maint. costs, registration fees, insurance costs, detailing expenses etc..... etc....... it is a trade off IMO.... if one drives an f-car or not, one is going to get old and die.... thats for certain.......... life gets shorter every day and an f-car with even zero miles will not bring back even 1 minute of your life when the time comes........ so enjoy the fruits of your labor as one does not know how long we will blessed to be on this planet.

Sorry for the rant, but the 'packrat' mentality is just not for me..... either your belongings serve you or you serve your belongings..........;).

5. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    +1, so very true!

6. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    +1 Gothspeed I could not agree more.
    Jeff :)

7. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Post of the month!

I've done 3000 miles in 4 months, and that was winter! Here comes summer! :)

8. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    33000 miles is not high by any means. With proper exercise and careful maintenance I am sure a 348/355 should last 150,000 miles.

9. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Know of any? I haven't heard of any over 80k....though I'm of the same mentality and drive mine whenever I can.

10. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    No. I know of some 60k mile cars that seem to be going strong. Given that most of us put a measly 3-5k miles on the car, it will take a long time to rack up 150,000 miles. I think for the 348 we will only know by 2015-2040 AD at the earliest. :)

To me, the guts looks so strong and car is built with minimal electronics, that I believe it should last many years and many miles.

11. FullChat

FullChat Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    +355

Not driving your Ferrari is like not banging your supermodel wife.

12. Dice996C4S

Dice996C4S Karting

May 7, 2006
    Cerritos, CA
    I think most people don't drive their cars not because of unreliability issues but more of resale value... Well, no matter what you do, Drive it or not, value will go down...

Fromt now on, I will be driving my car more.. :) The hell with resale...

13. Dice996C4S

Dice996C4S Karting

May 7, 2006
    Cerritos, CA
    The reason I ask is that almost every fcar owner that I've spoken to makes some comments like "high mileage" everytime I say the mileage. Deep inside me, I was like, "dude.... this is a 12 year old car.... you high ? "

14. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    I don't care what any of my cars will sell for when I am done with them................but I do drive 3 different cars and in total I average about 7000 miles a year.

As for the "high miles" comments these are par the course in the wonderful world of Ferrari where 30+k is considered high miles, who cares what others say when you are hitting 8500 rpm through a tunnel in your 355!

It's only money.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    No. I bought my 1997 355 spider back in 2004 with 27.5k miles and it now has over 46k miles. It looks and drives terrific, but I am super careful about maintenance and upkeep.

16. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I posted this same question to the tech that is performing my major. His response was that they have had a customer for many years who has 117,000 on his 89 Mondial, and two other customers have 348's with 68K and 75K miles. It's not that the cars can't do it, it just an expensive road. Considering every 15K you throw $7 grand in the major, it will add up quick!

17. Philip Barnard-Browwn

Feb 25, 2007
    london.
    Full Name:
    Philip Barnard-Brown
    I read Fchat everyday, but i rarely post. These are the best few words I have read. LIFE IS SHORT, WE COULD BE DEAD TOMORROW. USE YOUR FCAR AND LIVE THE DREAM!!!!!

Samir Goncalves likes this.
  18. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Amen brother Amen.

19. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Personally, I trust Ferrari mileage readings as much as I believe in the Tooth Fairy.

It's all too easy to adjust the mileage or in some cases to disconnect the speedo itself.

20. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    One way I've found of making my trips last is to keep a trip log and video/photo journal. Very good for the winter nights! My spider has done 15k but it feels like 50!

21. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    I love this thread! I bought my F430 brand new off the show room floor with 56 miles on it 11 months ago. How many mile on her today?? 13, 500!!
    I drive her as hard and as much as possible. I take her on long trips and to the the market for milk. I have dreamed of owning one since I was 8. I have a great daily driver (CLS55 AMG) and killer 2007 Shelby GT500 Conv with 600 ponies. I also drive the wife's Range Rover Supercharged when we have the whole gang to haul. Each car has it's strong suit. Here's my point, when I have the choice of what to drive it's not even a question that I will be taking the Ferrari. I've owned the Shelby for 14 months and it has 4000K miles on it. I don't keep my cars very long and resale is an issue if you trade in cars, but I can't justify NOT driving my dream car as much as possible. When I spoke to my dealer about trading in for the 430 replacement in 2 years he asked how many miles I put on my 430. He was SHOCKED! They don't have any customers that put even close to that many miles on their 430's. I don't get it at all, but I am a car nut and love the experience of Ferrari ownership way more than I thought I would. Some guys buy them for other reasons. So now my choices are, 1) hardly drive it so I can trade it in to get the 430 replacement in 2 years 2) sell the car now to avoid loosing my shirt 3) drive the thing till the wheels fall off!
    I made my decision and it is number 3! In fact, I think I will attempt to have the highest mileage 430 in existence! The funny thing is that when I take it in for service the guys always comment on how cool it is that I actually drive the car AND that I take way better care of mine than many owners do.
    Enough outa me.....by the way the 348/355 threads are the best on FChat.

22. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    LOL! Great posting !!

23. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    Next time respond with: "At least I can afford to actually drive my Ferrari :)

When my 928 hit 95,000 miles I bolted on a supercharger and more than doubled the horsepower (the engine has never been pulled). Life it short - drive these damn things!!!!

I would get a kick out of running small errands with a Ferrari, grocery store, post office etc.... I've taken my replica cobra to the grocery store a few times. I always get comments like "where are you going to put the groceries??!!"

Like my mechanic always says: "Who are you saving the car for, the next owner? How stupid is that?" Then again, this coming from a guy who has a 100% original 197X BMW R90S he purchased new with almost no miles on it.

24. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Put me on that list... my '91 348ts is rapidly approaching 69K miles... and it looks better than cars less than half its age, and runs as good as it did when it had 69 miles on it! My dream was/is to DRIVE a Ferrari... not just OWN one.

This whole mileage/value nonsense is simply a matter of perception, and was established by a trend amongst past owners...
    In time, CURRENT owners can change that perception if everyone started actually DRIVING their Ferrari's!!

This same theory of ''perceived value'' is what makes people think a Honda Accord with 33K miles is a VERY LOW mileage car.

To the ''Ape'', you ROCK dude!.... drive it till the wheels fall off!!

25. blackcross

blackcross Karting

Jun 23, 2007
    Canada
    Bought it this summer at 60k and parked it with 68k 4 months later: drove it every day.

2 feet of snow over the last 2 days and loads of salt dumped on the roads so it goes away from Nov to April.

Lots of people here don't use there cars, take them out for a drive and decide to "show off": bang, burnt valve or blown gasket/seal etc. the cars were built to be used and loved not possessed.