driving LHD | FerrariChat

driving LHD

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kongman, Dec 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    so how can you drive a modern LHD car in australia ,is there any way apart from sticking a trade plate on it and tanking it for a spin, i know you can drive older LHD cars legally on aust roads , but is there a way to do it with modern cars ??

2. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    sure - bring one in on a carnet as a visiting foreigner – you’ve then got it for up to a year! (before you have to export it)

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Live in WA.

4. kassam

kassam Karting

Oct 3, 2007
    melbourne
    Full Name:
    Sam

make a petition or something like that so that rare/million dolar plus LHD cars can be registered like the ferrari enzo and maserati mc12

5. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    saw a million year old LHD Mustang on the w/e and immediately thought of the ludicrous situation where this absolute POS is allowed to drive LEGALLY on the road but Scott's immaculate F50 is banned from the road !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like hello, is there any intelligent lifeforms in the bureaucratic roads and traffic section in Aus (rhetorical question)

6. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    yes got a friend with a new shelby mustang he lives in the states, comin to live here but hes going to have to sell the car because he cant drive it here legally....and hes stubborn wont convert it to rhd...

7. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I think its calle jealousy. I viewied a thread the other day in Japan that had about 10 F40's out at the same time.

Perhaps they put a 30 year time frame to stop people bringing in other normal run of the mill cars.

I can't see why they won't let small production cars apply. I say that because I want an F40!!!!

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    that's exactly the reason....and it's perfectly reasonable.

if they make an exception, where do they stop?

9. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    at Ferraris ... all the rest are crap

10. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    :grin: I meant :D!

11. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I agree with you John, although Aircon is correct in what he says.

Maybe if I put a flashing light on the top of my F40 when I get it one day, I could say it is a garbage truck or something!!!

Mind you by the time I can afford one it will be over 30 years old so won't be a problem.

I just hope petrol is still available.

12. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren
    Not sure about Vic, but the 30 year old rule in SA for registering LHD vehicles is not a rolling 30 years. In fact LHD rego stops at 1973 and it looks like they may freeze historic registration next year meaning that only cars that are 30 years old when the freeze happens (i.e. pre 1978) will be eligable until the rules change again. The SA government are concerned at the number of cars on historic rego and have decided to freeze it until 2018 where it'll become a rolling 40 years instead. F40's will have a long wait here. :(

13. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    That's been the whisper in NSW too...

14. ASIO

ASIO Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2006
    I would/nt bother.

When i [*cough*] get my F40 i am just going to drive it around on trade-plates like PP did.

If you register it, the stamp-duty, transfer and rego charges will be murder, i don't want to give the GovCo 1 cent more than i legally have to, anyway for what? You end up driving maybe 20 times a year, do the math, its not worth it.

U can always move to W/A, a 348 that was for sale on carsale was LHD, & was road registered, funny and normal people out west....

Ciao

M

15. ASIO

ASIO Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2006
    From the WA GovCo website -

Rule 2002:

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/IB-106A.pdf

In a nutshell, more than 15 years old, but less than 30 years old, and less than 4.5 tonnes can be registered in LHD form!

Vehicle still needs to meet some of the ADR rules, such as seat belts and lights etc.Easy.

Do NOT need that rubbish "Caution Left Hand Driver" sticker on the back.

Ciao

M

16. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    its a shame our pollies are so narrow minded , ive just been thinking of some off the great supercars or our time ..........porsche carrera- 959,ferrari f-40,f-50,enzo,288gto,bugatti veyron,maclaren slr,all these awsome cars and you cant drive them here .......what a waste...

17. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    think about it this way, if the pollies allow these cars to be road registable, they would have to allow other MOHS LHD legal too, or else the 80% of the population will say OMG the rich gets everything (even tho "yeah too bad that's life").

But that's what happens when you're on the largest island in the world with only a total population of a major oversea city!

18. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    yup dont you love it....................man we are screwed..:):)

19. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Why blame the pollies, why not blame the car companies not making them in RHD :p

20. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    why would they invest millions of dollars in development to build 2 RHD for couple of blokes on an Island?!

21. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    The same reason they bothered to make a Veyron. Also the UK has 100million people plus our 21million = double Italy's population.

22. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Good point, now start talking to ferrari before they build their next supercar.

23. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Ok, I will :)

but I ain't making any promises :p

24. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    tell em if they dont well send pap over there...........

25. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Ok thanks for offering, so if a RHD supercar comes out we have Speedcore to thank.