New Private Track in S. Wisconsin | FerrariChat

New Private Track in S. Wisconsin

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by NOWANNABE65, Dec 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NOWANNABE65

NOWANNABE65 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    My primary home is in northern Illinois but I also have a home in Kenosha county and was toying with the idea of building a rather large storage facility for exotic vehicles and a private track to enjoy with friends and family. Does anyone know the specs on a private track and whether Kenosha county will permit such a special use facility? There is a 118 acre parcel in Paris, Wisconsin which I think it might work. I am not limited to Kenosha county, but the closer it is to the Illinois border, the better I would like it. Depending on the costs, I would like to build it and maybe get members to join where it would be a great place to hang out.

Gustan

2. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    Gustan,

Check out your competitions like this new track coming in 09' at Indy. Also, there are a few tracks near Kenosha: Black Hawk, Gingerman, Road America, AutoBahn (Joliet, Il). I think it might work if you add some Karting facility like Road America but indoor year round, just my .02 cents.

Ken

3. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    #3 NOWANNABE65, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009
    Thanks for the info, but I was just thinking about having a personal private track for me and a few of my friends. Nothing commercial and just non for profit where I can have some get togethers with people that have common interests. I know I can have a private track in Barrington Hills, Illinois where I live, but real estate is extremely expensive. I wanted to purchase some cheap land where I can have a one or two mile circular track and a large storage facility and motorhome access where we can have an adult playground. Just a thought. If you help me do the research, your membership will be free.

4. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    Gustan,

I will do a search for you for your generous free membership :) I can even help you design it if you want!

Ken

5. lrc

lrc Karting

Sep 13, 2006
    I am a developer in this area and do know that Paris township will give you grief like you've never experienced before. The dragstrip in the area has so many restrictions that I'm amazed they're still in business. The problem is not necessarily Kenosha Co., but the little town of Paris that is old school to the core. Lawyer up and be prepared for a long battle of variances and rejection.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Invest in the infrastructure/town of Elkhart lake.

They already have a world class track.

They need money for improvments to the track, additional hotel rooms...etc to attract big time events.

As a benefactor, you could probably get to the head of the line when it comes to track time/etc...

Just a thought

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    It's been there so long, it's iconic to the area. It's in the middle of nowhere, and I doubt the noise bothers anyone except on cool summer nights.

8. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC

I have a house in Brighton. Do you have any recommendations. I did hear that Paris is very tough and I really do not want to go through the red tape. Do you know the farmer who owns hundreds of acres of land. I think his name is Myron and if he is interested in selling.

Gustan

9. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    #9 NOWANNABE65, Dec 17, 2007
    I would be open minded. Interested in joint venturing?

Gustan

10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #10 Meister, Dec 18, 2007
    Wish I could, but right now I've got more ideas than $....;)

11. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC

Would appreciate your ideas and input.

12. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Completely right about Great Lakes Dragaway. They're allowed to exist because they've been around forever but all everyone in the area does is complain about the noise there. I'm not sure about Paris as I live in the city of Kenosha but I think that you would face quite a bit of red tape and probably invest double in a legal found as you would the actual track. I'd love to see something like this in the area however I think it would be a massively complex ordeal to get started.

13. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    "Broadway Bob" Metzler made that quite a local landmark with his Labor Day Jet & Rocket Car Nationals.

Those were the days......................................

14. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I just remember a bunch of us going out there for "open racing" night. Not really that into drag racing but what the hell, just stand on the gas for a bit in a controlled environment...sounds like a great time! So we get there, it's packed like crazy, wait in line forever. Get one run in, a guy pulls out a "jet dragster", all the GLD diehards go nuts, they spend like, 30 minutes watering everything down so it doesn't ignite. Lights out he hits the "gas" and........it breaks like 5ft off the line. More waiting, one more run for us, jet dragster comes out, same procedure.......this time he makes it to 1/4 track before it breaks. So in sum, 6 hours, 2 runs, it was terrible.

15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  16. group77racing

group77racing Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Often Imitated
    Full Name:
    Never Duplicated
    The strip is open to the public...I think in a private situation, its not a big deal. Buy the land, put in a long 2 mile twisty "driveway" , tasteful storage "pole barn" facilty with all the car shop trimmings. No different than any of the neighbors. If its private property, who cares what "they" say. Also, make a donation to the police and firefighters. My grandparents grew up it Paris township, I had that "private track" vision many years ago. The rolling landscape begs for a track.

17. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    Sounds like a good idea, it is tough going through the city when neighbors usually are against it.

18. BAM

BAM Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    i know what you mean.....

19. M BADGER

M BADGER Rookie

Mar 19, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    Is this dead?

I may be able to help with the legal side of obtaining governmental approval . . .

20. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Not that I've got money to contribute to building but I'd certainly pay a user fee!

21. rudyarias

rudyarias Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Arias
    Why circular? Turning left can quickly be very boring. Last I checked Joliet Illinois was the only Northern Illinois municipality that wholeheartedly embraced Chicago Speedway when its owners were looking to build a circular track for NASCAR. Right now NASCAR is losing steam with AMLS coming up fast to lap it.

Private or Public, depending on how long of a road course or circular track you're looking to build. Will eat up more real estate than you realize. A short low speed technical road course at about 1.9 miles will need a minimum of 350 acres. Depending on where that plot of land is located will determine what Government agencies will need to be involved for approval before you even break ground. This includes noise abatement and how the track will be configured. The Autobahn Country Club is at this time, the only private road course in the midwest. Road America is the only high speed technical FIA Pro road course on this continent, all of the others are low speed technical road courses on this continent (including Watkins Glen, Sebring and VIR).

The easiest solution is to look a short distance to your west. The closest road course to you is on the "old" AMC proving grounds off of Route 50 west of Kenosha. Its currently owned by a company called MGA Research whose founder died a couple of years ago and I believe that property has been stagnant. If anything, it would negate any Government interference to buy that land as the track/courses are alreadied grandfathered in. Then of course this is my opinion.

22. M BADGER

M BADGER Rookie

Mar 19, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    Interesting to hear that MGA is stagnant.

The Badger Bimmers ran a car control clinic at MGA in 2002.

23. vipersteve

vipersteve Rookie

Oct 2, 2005
    http://www.mgaresearch.com/WISCONSIN_USA.html

From what I gathered from the posts the track this guy is dreaming of is completely private. Not a country club or anything of that sort. Something on his property for him and friends that he invites over.

It would be pretty sweet if this ends up happening.

24. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC

Sounds very interesting. I will follow up. Thanks for the lead. This whole track idea is something for fun and I would like to take the leadership role but would want a group of select members to join in/invest or be part of the planning process. Real estate is on a downtrend, in my opinion, and I personally do not see a sudden rebound in the very near future (at least in the next 36 months) so the ball is probably on my court. The only major concern I do have in terms of carrying costs, is property taxes and insurance.

25. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Are you planning to be at the BRIC at RA mid July?