365 GTB Daytona Custom Headers and Exhaust | FerrariChat

365 GTB Daytona Custom Headers and Exhaust

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by craigs, Dec 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. craigs

craigs Rookie

Dec 17, 2007
    #1 craigs, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is my first post, but I thought some of you might enjoy this. I was approached by a customer to build a set of headers and full exhaust for a 1973 365 GTB Daytona. There was nothing wrong with the existing exhaust system, but the owner was looking for something more pleasing to the eye, and hopefully some gains in performance and sound. I used a Tri-Y 6-into-2-into-1 design. All components are fabricated from 304 Stainless steel. The mufflers are Burns Stainless race mufflers. The owner wanted a side exiting exhaust. I was sceptical of this at first, but I am pleased with the final result. After a few weeks of fabrication, I finally finished the car today. Tommorow morning the car will be moved to another local shop where it will be placed on their Dyno to tune the carbs with the new exhaust. I predict an obnoxiously loud exhaust note with both the race mufflers and side exhaust. Burns claims to have a different muffler with baffles if this one does not work out, thats one of the reasons I used V-band clamps either side of the muffler. I hope to be present when the car is @ the Dyno, so I will be there with my video camera to capture this beast fire for the first time, and lend a hand if any quick changes need to be performed.
    Feed back appreciated (Good or Bad)

Thanks,

Craig Sheffield
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ZAMIRZ

ZAMIRZ Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Amir
    I don't really like the side-exit, but those headers are a work of art. Let us know what happens at the dyno and if possible, get some sound-clips.

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Craig,

Nice workmanship! You may want to ask (via PM) the moderator to move this thread to the Vintage section as the 365GTB4 is considered vintage and is a very different car than a 365GT4 2+2.

Regards,

Art S.

4. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Absolutely stunning!

Some artists use a paintbrush and a canvas, others use a welding, and some stainless steel tubing.

5. craigs

craigs Rookie

Dec 17, 2007
    Thanks, I am not very familiar with my Ferrari models (Clearly) I will see what I can do to have it moved to the correct forum.

Thanks,

Craig Sheffield

6. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
  7. craigs

craigs Rookie

Dec 17, 2007

Peter, its just a two post lift. I am not real sure on the manufacturer though. It has a 10,000 lbs capacity.

Craigs

8. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Beautiful work. it is going to extremely loud for the street however. i removed the 6 center sections of my 400 exhaust and replaced them with a very similar inline single bullet resonator (Stebro) per side BUT the center sections bolt up to the Ansa silencers at the back. the sound is perfect now but i bet this Daytona will go through ear drums faster than brake pads. again, really beautiful work.

9. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Nice work Craig!
    FYI, 400 exhaust headers are notorious for rusting out. And for those who are contemplating replacing w/stainless (myself incl.), would you consider taking on a 400 header project? I can only imagine a few here on this forum would be very interested. I'm guessing you will need orig. headers to template from, and there are some owners here who have multiple 400's/parts who might be able to part w/their headers during the fabrication time to maybe batch out a few sets @ one time. What are your thoughts?
    Bruce

Anxiously waiting for video!

10. craigs

craigs Rookie

Dec 17, 2007

Bruce, I always look forward to new projects. There are a few ways you go go with a set of headers. Stock replacement or totaly custom like the set I built for this car. Building a set of headers off of an existing set can be done, but I would much prefer to have a car to mock up on, as you never know what kind of space you have to work with. If someone would be willing to bring me a car, I could make a jig to replicate multiple sets.
    I am not familiar with the 400, what do the stock headers look like? Is it a V-12 also?

Thanks,

Craig Sheffield

11. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    #11 JCR, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Craig,

The 400 block is also a V-12 and is of relatively similar design to the Daytona (365GTB4) but the engine bay layout is quite different.

Regards,

Art S.

13. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Craig, as Art S. mentioned, it's a V-12 & attached is the link to Eurospares diagram of the 400 exh. sys.. A significant # of silencers are incorporated & I would be leaning towards Brett's approach of substituting the 3 mid-section boxes w/resonator of some kind while retaining the original rear silencers. Personally, I would rather stay w/3 to 2 header set-up in the event a future owner desires to return to the original system layout. I keep going back & forth between S.S. headers/heat wrap vs. steel headers/Aerpspace Thermal coating to keep the heat @ bay. Where are you located?
    Bruce

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=1&Mo=652&A=1&B=37678&S=

How'd you make out w/the dyno test?

14. craigs

craigs Rookie

Dec 17, 2007
    That is almost identical to the 365 system. I am assuming the header flanges are the same also. Do you know if they share the same cylinder head design? As far as mild steel coated headers go, I am not a big fan. I have yet to see any kind of coating hold up for a long period of time. Stainless is a good selling point also.

Today, we fired the car up. It wasn't as loud as I had anticipated, non the less it was a little on the noisy side. This particular car has some valvetrain noise that wasn't helping the exhaust note. I didn't capture any video today, as it will not be going on the dyno until tomorrow some time. It didn't sound anything like what I was expecting, but it does have that vintage sound to it. We didn't turn the rpms to high, as we were checking everything over, so its still to early to determine wether or not its going to be too loud. I can't wait to hear it get up high in the RPM range.

Anyway, I have to go wash the smell of burnt exhaust fumes off of me,

Craig Sheffield

15. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Thanks for sharing. Nice work.

16. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    I pondered this one too and went for coated steel headers to keep the heat out of the engine bay and stainless for the rest of the system where heat doesn't matter and most of the corrosion occurs.